E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Results From 2013 DTM Season Opener at Hockenheim

05-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow Results From 2013 DTM Season Opener at Hockenheim

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Has 1-2 Finish at 2013 DTM Opener at Hockenheim
COMMENTS

BMW has opened the 2013 DTM season with a 1-2 finish at Hockenheim. Augusto Farfus took first behind the Castrol EDGE BMW M3 DTM, while Dirk Werner finished runner up in the SAMSUNG BMW M3 DTM

Watch the entire race here:

BMW Press Release:

Hockenheim (DE), 5th May 2013. Fantastic start to the 2013 DTM season for BMW Motorsport: at the end of the 42 laps, Augusto Farfus (BR) won the opening race in Hockenheim (DE) at the wheel of the Castrol EDGE BMW M3 DTM. This was the BMW Team RBM driver’s second DTM victory, following his triumph in Valencia (ES) in 2012. A wonderful drive and a strategic tour de force saw BMW Team Schnitzer’s Dirk Werner (DE) fight back brilliantly from 20th on the grid to finish runner-up in the SAMSUNG BMW M3 DTM. In doing so, he completed the first one-two for BMW since the Bavarian manufacturer returned to the DTM in 2012. This is the 16th time in the history of the DTM that two BMW drivers have followed each other over the finish line in first and second.

In a tumultuous race with many spectacular overtaking manoeuvres, reigning champion Bruno Spengler (CA) crossed the finish line fifth in the BMW Bank M3 DTM. Joey Hand (US, BMW M3 DTM) and Marco Wittmann (DE, Ice-Watch BMW M3 DTM) also finished in the points, coming home seventh and ninth respectively. Therefore, five BMW M3 DTM drivers ended the race in the top ten. Martin Tomczyk (DE, BMW M Performance Parts M3 DTM) and Andy Priaulx (GB, Crowne Plaza Hotels BMW M3 DTM) finished 13th and 17th.

Timo Glock’s (DE) DTM debut came to a premature end. Prior to his retirement, the BMW Team MTEK driver had produced a strong performance. Starting from 15th on the grid, Glock worked his way towards the front of the field and was at one stage second. However, following his first pit stop, the rear-right wheel of his DEUTSCHE POST BMW M3 DTM came off, giving the debutant no choice but to retire from the race.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):

“That was a really awesome start to the season. I must pay a huge compliment to everyone in the team – particularly to Augusto Farfus and Dirk Werner, of course, who presented us with our first one-two since we returned to the DTM. Augusto did not make a single mistake, and BMW Team RBM got its strategy spot on. The same can be said of BMW Team Schnitzer, who helped Dirk climb from 20th to a remarkable second. His fightback was simply fantastic. I hope the first race of the years was as thrilling and exciting for the fans as it was for us. I feel sorry for Timo Glock. He was looking very good at the start and did a great job of cutting through the field. However, any new team is always on a learning curve, and that unfortunately includes set-backs. That makes me even more delighted that his team-mate Marco Wittmann finished in the points in his first race, having started from right at the back.”

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-05-05 at 8.33.05 AM.jpg
Views: 5113
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:  P90120863-highRes.jpg
Views: 5786
Size:  259.1 KB

Name:  P90120864-highRes.jpg
Views: 5011
Size:  207.0 KB

Name:  P90120865-highRes.jpg
Views: 5241
Size:  242.4 KB

Name:  P90120866-highRes.jpg
Views: 4955
Size:  205.9 KB

Name:  P90120869-highRes.jpg
Views: 5000
Size:  168.7 KB

Name:  P90120870-highRes.jpg
Views: 4904
Size:  258.7 KB

Name:  P90120871-highRes.jpg
Views: 5038
Size:  217.0 KB

Name:  P90120872-highRes.jpg
Views: 5383
Size:  238.3 KB

Name:  P90120874-highRes.jpg
Views: 5155
Size:  216.0 KB

Name:  P90120875-highRes.jpg
Views: 4837
Size:  189.8 KB

Name:  P90120876-highRes.jpg
Views: 4815
Size:  162.5 KB

Name:  P90120877-highRes.jpg
Views: 4859
Size:  277.4 KB

Name:  P90120879-highRes.jpg
Views: 4846
Size:  246.1 KB

Name:  P90120881-highRes.jpg
Views: 4806
Size:  245.7 KB

Name:  P90120884-highRes.jpg
Views: 4812
Size:  267.6 KB

Reactions to the opening race:

Bart Mampaey (Team Principal, BMW Team RBM):

“I think we have definitely confirmed our arrival in the DTM with this victory. It took us a while to find our feet in 2012, and we also took a good look at ourselves in many areas during the winter break. That is not easy, and I would like to thank every single member of my team for their efforts. We drew exactly the right conclusions – and were rewarded with the victory today. The race was complicated today, and we had an awful lot of decisions to make. We took a bit of a chance with the strategy, but it paid off in the end. Augusto Farfus produced a fantastic performance. And Joey hand can also be very happy with his debut for our team.”

Charly Lamm (Team Principal, BMW Team Schnitzer):
“That is obviously a fantastic start for BMW. Dirk Werner went through a real emotional rollercoaster ride this weekend. After a difficult qualifying, he fought his way from the back of the field onto the podium. That is unbelievable. He deserves a huge compliment for that performance. The same goes for the pit crew and engineers. Our stops and the strategy were very good. Bruno Spengler lost ground in the second stint, for reasons yet unknown. After that, however, he also fought very hard and was rewarded with fifth place.”

Stefan Reinhold (Team Principal, BMW Team RMG):
“The weekend did not go to plan for our team, as we had started out with high expectations. Even as early as qualifying we were not at the level we wanted to be at. Then came Martin Tomczyk’s false start. Following a collision shortly after the start, we then had technical problems with Andy Priaulx’s car, which we will now take a close look at. He did not have a chance after that. Despite this, I would like to thank my guys. They worked hard during the preparations for the start of the season. We all start from scratch again in two weeks.”

Ernest Knoors (BMW Team MTEK):
“We had a bit of everything this weekend. Yesterday we had a few problems with Marco Wittmann’s car, and today we were unlucky with Timo Glock. However, that is the learning curve we are on in 2013. We can also take a lot of positives from Hockenheim. I am very pleased Marco came through without any technical problems to score our first points. That is a great result. Timo could also have left the race with a good result, but unfortunately we made a mistake. We will learn from that, and continue to work hard.”

Augusto Farfus (car number 7, BMW Team RBM, 1st):
Tyres: Option-Prime-Option
“That was one of the most exciting races I have ever experienced. Right from the word go, it was clear to me that I would be in with a chance of winning from second on the grid. However, I was uncertain, as nobody could really know what effect DRS and the option tyres would actually have during the race. The fans got to see a lot of overtaking manoeuvres and a super fight out on the track. In the end, my team’s perfect strategy made the difference. It is an unbelievable feeling to start the season with a win. I would like to say a big thank you to BMW Motorsport and BMW Team RBM. That was an incredible start.”

Dirk Werner (car number 2, BMW Team Schnitzer, 2nd):
Tyres: Prime-Option-Prime
“That was a magical feeling for me. I was very disappointed after the poor qualifying result, as I had great hopes for the weekend. I tossed and turned in bed, and did not want to get up this morning. Just a few hours later, it is a completely different story: it will definitely be a long evening. My car was sensational. One of my goals for 2013 was to make it onto the podium. I can hardly believe I have achieved that in the very first race. I have seldom experienced so much action in one race. That was a perfect day for me.”

Bruno Spengler (car number 1, BMW Team Schnitzer, 5th):
“I am a bit disappointed, as a podium would have been possible for me today. The start was amazing, and I was able to make up a lot of places. After the first pit stop and the safety car phase, I suddenly had big understeer for some reason. I struggled with that problem up until the end of the race. I just tried to stay on track and drive consistent laps. The team reacted quickly enough to bring me back in to change tyres again. That allowed me to score good points.”

Joey Hand (car number 8, BMW Team RBM, 7th):
“I feel bad about the start, as I just stalled it. I knew I had to make up for it so I said to myself go, go, go. I really pushed for my boys at BMW Motorsport and in BMW Team RBM who have worked so hard over the winter. I really wanted to make a mark in my second year in the series. There are a lot of positives to come out of the first race day of the year, and I am certainly happy.”

Marco Wittmann (car number 21, BMW Team MTEK, 9th):
“I am really happy and was not expecting to get into the points after a bad qualifying. Ninth place is a really good result for me. I was a bit unlucky with the option tyres, as I got stuck in a bit of traffic after the safety car and could not take full advantage of them. But still, the result is unbelievable. A big thank you to the team, who did a great job with the strategy and pit stops.”

Martin Tomczyk (car number 15, BMW Team RMG, 13th):
Tyres: Option-Standard-Standard
“The jump start was definitely my fault and I have apologised to the team. It was a bad start to the season after qualifying yesterday, but at least I finally finished a race. I had some good overtaking manoeuvres and the introduction of DRS and the option tyres seems to be working out well. I am looking forward to the coming races.”

Andy Priaulx (car number 16, BMW Team RMG, 17th):
Tyres: Standard-Option-Standard
“Not a good weekend. We had the potential, but at the end of the day the car had mechanical issues with second gear. I also took a few hits on the first lap, which resulted in floor damage to the car. However, I am really encouraged by the fact Augusto Farfus won and Dirk Werner came from 20th to second. This proves just what is possible in the DTM this year.”

Timo Glock (car number 22, BMW Team MTEK, DNF):
Tyres: Option-Standard
“Generally speaking I will take a lot of positives from my first DTM weekend. I got off to a good start and was already tenth by the end of the opening lap. After that I continued to fight my way through the field and tried to implement our strategy as well as possible. However, I came off the track in the Sachs corner and had to plough through the gravel. We came straight in for our pit stop after that. Unfortunately, one of the wheels was not properly in place. I made a mistake today, and so did the pit crew – that is motorsport. Congratulations to BMW, Augusto and Dirk. The guys did a great job.”

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

Congrats BMW! Now off to watch some of the action at Talladega #14 #39
      05-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Woohoo ninho!!
      05-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
Woohoo ninho!!
You beat me to it! Way to go Niho!!!

He is more on Augusto's nickname: Niho...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Well done Augusto!

Also, great performance by Dirk Werner to take it from the back row to the front row!

DTM this year should be a bit more exciting with the option tyres and the DRS (though it is somewhat artificial).

I'll be a Brands Hatch in two weeks for the second round .

In other DTM news, sometime within the next 3 years the DTM Formula will move from 4.0 litre V8's, to 2.0 litre Turbocharged engines, in an effort to standardise the regs with Super GT GT500 class in Japan, and also to meet the desired formula for American DTM.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Congratz Augusto
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Great race! Mercs were in front but ///MPower overtook them!

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

BMW FTW
      05-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Reactions to the opening race:

Bart Mampaey (Team Principal, BMW Team RBM):

“I think we have definitely confirmed our arrival in the DTM with this victory. It took us a while to find our feet in 2012, and we also took a good look at ourselves in many areas during the winter break. That is not easy, and I would like to thank every single member of my team for their efforts. We drew exactly the right conclusions – and were rewarded with the victory today. The race was complicated today, and we had an awful lot of decisions to make. We took a bit of a chance with the strategy, but it paid off in the end. Augusto Farfus produced a fantastic performance. And Joey hand can also be very happy with his debut for our team.”

Charly Lamm (Team Principal, BMW Team Schnitzer):
“That is obviously a fantastic start for BMW. Dirk Werner went through a real emotional rollercoaster ride this weekend. After a difficult qualifying, he fought his way from the back of the field onto the podium. That is unbelievable. He deserves a huge compliment for that performance. The same goes for the pit crew and engineers. Our stops and the strategy were very good. Bruno Spengler lost ground in the second stint, for reasons yet unknown. After that, however, he also fought very hard and was rewarded with fifth place.”

Stefan Reinhold (Team Principal, BMW Team RMG):
“The weekend did not go to plan for our team, as we had started out with high expectations. Even as early as qualifying we were not at the level we wanted to be at. Then came Martin Tomczyk’s false start. Following a collision shortly after the start, we then had technical problems with Andy Priaulx’s car, which we will now take a close look at. He did not have a chance after that. Despite this, I would like to thank my guys. They worked hard during the preparations for the start of the season. We all start from scratch again in two weeks.”

Ernest Knoors (BMW Team MTEK):
“We had a bit of everything this weekend. Yesterday we had a few problems with Marco Wittmann’s car, and today we were unlucky with Timo Glock. However, that is the learning curve we are on in 2013. We can also take a lot of positives from Hockenheim. I am very pleased Marco came through without any technical problems to score our first points. That is a great result. Timo could also have left the race with a good result, but unfortunately we made a mistake. We will learn from that, and continue to work hard.”

Augusto Farfus (car number 7, BMW Team RBM, 1st):
“That was one of the most exciting races I have ever experienced. Right from the word go, it was clear to me that I would be in with a chance of winning from second on the grid. However, I was uncertain, as nobody could really know what effect DRS and the option tyres would actually have during the race. The fans got to see a lot of overtaking manoeuvres and a super fight out on the track. In the end, my team’s perfect strategy made the difference. It is an unbelievable feeling to start the season with a win. I would like to say a big thank you to BMW Motorsport and BMW Team RBM. That was an incredible start.”

Dirk Werner (car number 2, BMW Team Schnitzer, 2nd):
“That was a magical feeling for me. I was very disappointed after the poor qualifying result, as I had great hopes for the weekend. I tossed and turned in bed, and did not want to get up this morning. Just a few hours later, it is a completely different story: it will definitely be a long evening. My car was sensational. One of my goals for 2013 was to make it onto the podium. I can hardly believe I have achieved that in the very first race. I have seldom experienced so much action in one race. That was a perfect day for me.”

Bruno Spengler (car number 1, BMW Team Schnitzer, 5th):
“I am a bit disappointed, as a podium would have been possible for me today. The start was amazing, and I was able to make up a lot of places. After the first pit stop and the safety car phase, I suddenly had big understeer for some reason. I struggled with that problem up until the end of the race. I just tried to stay on track and drive consistent laps. The team reacted quickly enough to bring me back in to change tyres again. That allowed me to score good points.”

Joey Hand (car number 8, BMW Team RBM, 7th):
“I feel bad about the start, as I just stalled it. I knew I had to make up for it so I said to myself go, go, go. I really pushed for my boys at BMW Motorsport and in BMW Team RBM who have worked so hard over the winter. I really wanted to make a mark in my second year in the series. There are a lot of positives to come out of the first race day of the year, and I am certainly happy.”

Marco Wittmann (car number 21, BMW Team MTEK, 9th):
“I am really happy and was not expecting to get into the points after a bad qualifying. Ninth place is a really good result for me. I was a bit unlucky with the option tyres, as I got stuck in a bit of traffic after the safety car and could not take full advantage of them. But still, the result is unbelievable. A big thank you to the team, who did a great job with the strategy and pit stops.”

Martin Tomczyk (car number 15, BMW Team RMG, 13th):
Tyres: Option-Standard-Standard
“The jump start was definitely my fault and I have apologised to the team. It was a bad start to the season after qualifying yesterday, but at least I finally finished a race. I had some good overtaking manoeuvres and the introduction of DRS and the option tyres seems to be working out well. I am looking forward to the coming races.”

Andy Priaulx (car number 16, BMW Team RMG, 17th):
Tyres: Standard-Option-Standard
“Not a good weekend. We had the potential, but at the end of the day the car had mechanical issues with second gear. I also took a few hits on the first lap, which resulted in floor damage to the car. However, I am really encouraged by the fact Augusto Farfus won and Dirk Werner came from 20th to second. This proves just what is possible in the DTM this year.”

Timo Glock (car number 22, BMW Team MTEK, DNF):
Tyres: Option-Standard
“Generally speaking I will take a lot of positives from my first DTM weekend. I got off to a good start and was already tenth by the end of the opening lap. After that I continued to fight my way through the field and tried to implement our strategy as well as possible. However, I came off the track in the Sachs corner and had to plough through the gravel. We came straight in for our pit stop after that. Unfortunately, one of the wheels was not properly in place. I made a mistake today, and so did the pit crew – that is motorsport. Congratulations to BMW, Augusto and Dirk. The guys did a great job.”
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Laguna Seca Blue

Awesome job BMW!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

M3 reigns!!!! A few more years to enjoy, then 2.0l motors boooo
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Rolitto
Second Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats BMW! You deserve the best. I watched the post-race, and I can say that I was satisfied with the pace of Bimmer cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d

Awesome start of season. Hoping that 2013 will be Farfus' year.
Time for Brazilians to come on top again.
Valeu Ninho, abraco e forca!
      05-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Amazing race. Lots of action and brilliant driving! I still live MB though :shrug:
      05-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Awesome job by BMW DTM teams
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
LOve it. Congrats guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #17
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Great start of the season! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #18
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
thanks for info & links
and what a great start, i hope it will be another great one for BMW

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #19
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great news, makes me feel like a proud father to be driving around in a variant of this car
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
Nazarin
Rep
Drives: E90 - 2009 330

Why i can't see the race LOL?.....''Not Available for you Country''..???
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
monkawekrue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 AW

Garage List
nice