E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > In Case You Missed This... COMCAST Is Desperately Trying To Purchase TIME WARNER!

03-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
You must live in the sticks! Even my dads cabin in the Adirondacks can get cable...
Not necessarily. One of my ex managers at a previous job lived in Loudoun County, VA. If you're not familiar with the area, it's on the outer ring of what is considered the DC suburbs. Where he lives there are numerous large houses on large acreage lots...many of them are a million dollars or more. He tried getting cable service but didn't get it. I forget if the reason was that it was too expensive as the cable company was going to charge him to trench a line from the pole all the way to his house or that the cable company wouldn't even do it.

He ended up getting broadband via RF from a provider. He was fortunate that he had clear line of sight to the RF towers. And no this isn't cellular service.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #24
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
You must live in the sticks! Even my dads cabin in the Adirondacks can get cable...
Not really, though. That's what gets me frustrated.

Literally a half a mile down my street (still in my subdivision) they have Cable TV and internet. It's just an expanding development and the Cable company refuses to build down my street until there are enough houses and people in those houses for them to make a profit.

I mean I understand it's a business, so they need to make money, but come on. I know everyone on my street would jump ship from our Dish and DSL providers to Cable if they built down this way. They would get approximately 40 new houses in less than a mile of cable. Oh, and builders just cleared 5 more lots this week and started construction on 2 of them.