E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What will you drive when gas reaches $9.50 per gallon?

05-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #111
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Let's ask Boone Pickens.....

So, Boone, what do you think about the price of oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Boone Pickens

They're gonna to go up because the people that have the oil want it to go up and they're running out of oil. They're gonna have 85 million barrels a day, is all the world can produce, and the demand is 87 million, and it's that simple. It doesn't have anything to do with the value of the dollar. It's just a fact of supply and demand. That's it.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=747990771

Anyone else who just donated $100 million to OSU have a better idea?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/us...RF.html?ref=us
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #112
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
BTW, if you think Iran can take over Saudi Arabia, you've been watching a little bit too much FOX news.
Ok. I'll block that channel off my tv and just watch CNN , MSNBC and any other channel you and the DNC approve of .
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #113
calleballe
ExPAt
Rep
Drives: E90

I find it funny, that despite the current situation where $100k a year barley makes people qualify for "middle-class" anymore (largely due to failed republican greed politics, feed the rich, eat the poor) - People still seem to think the democratic party would make things even worse...

A bit of gov. regulation on healthcare insurance, energy etc. would make this kind of necessities more accessible to all at lower cost. Some markets do not benefit the masses by being totally unregulated. Also, a government that recognized the urging problem with fossil fuels and promoted alternative use and research would be great.

To top this off, some responsible fiscal policy would help, -how much more can we afford to borrow from future generations to fund wars that only makes the world (more) upset w/ us?

Current cars
BMW 328i (to become sth else)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #114
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

If we were to stop importing oil to the U.S. starting today..........

the U.S. still has enough oil reserve to run an uninterrupted economy for the next 50+ years......
      05-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #115
calleballe
ExPAt
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
If we were to stop importing oil to the U.S. starting today..........

the U.S. still has enough oil reserve to run an uninterrupted economy for the next 50+ years......
The U.S has around 3% in oil reserves, that would not last very long. Less then 10-15 yrs.

Current cars
BMW 328i (to become sth else)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #116
MBChariot
HESSEN///M3
Panama
Rep
Drives: TIag E46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Contractor or Military?
Neither, I spent half my life living in Germany.

"A6 direction Saarbrücken"
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #117
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by calleballe View Post
The U.S has around 3% in oil reserves, that would not last very long. Less then 10-15 yrs.
We don't have much -- even including Canada and Mexico -- and production has fallen roughly in half over the last 25 years.

E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #118
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Personally looking at what my gas card bill says at the end of the month it has only gone up between $50-75 more over the month since the major spike in gas. I don't see that difference as a bank breaker. That bill also covers work(70%) and personal(30%) use at about $525/mo. Work fortunately covers all of it as we've recently simplified our billing to cover mileage and gas into the total cost.

I can also say with high confidence that I drive a hell of a lot more the most of you guys. I have a 07 Hyundai that I use for work and is about 15/mo old with just about 40k, my 325i is 23/mo old and is closing in on 23k and we started using my fiances Cavalier more often that we were almost never using and we've thrown about 8k on that in the last year. We currently haven't cut back driving at all, just rotated which car we use depending on the activity and mpg for car. We typically get 2 weeks out of a full tank of gas for the BMW and Cavalier. I fill up every 2-3 days for the Hyundai.

Until courts can get a proper verified service on individuals without having someone serve the documents my job isn't going anywhere. Courts are wayyy to slow to update. IF gas reaches $9.50/gal, we'll just continually raise our rates to cover gas prices which will/should be expected by our clients.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #119
RBP
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Convertible M sport

Gas will hit $10+ a gallon....it's just a matter of when. If it happens by the end of this year, then the economy would suffer under incredibly high inflation as was the case in 1979-1981. If gas goes up in an orderly fashion over the next 5-10 years, then the economy would adjust just fine.

If you really believe that oil is going to hit $200+/bbl soon, then simply go out and buy the commodity (or an ETF such as ticker symbol USO that tracks the commodity). If you invest enough, you'll make more money than you'll burn in your car.

However, if an extra couple hundred dollars a month in gas is going to tip you over the edge....then you are already perilously close to financial ruin as it is and shouldn't be leasing your BMW in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:42 PM   #120
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
I thought you were smart? you go to the local restraunts and get there cooking oil for FREEE and then convert it into a useable product known as bio diesel, which cost about 1 dollar per gallon! and for you info I clogg the toilet on the regular I have a gas powered plunger
I wanted to do this with my 2006 Jetta TDI...the only problem...I can't. The fuel rail pressure in the 2004+ TDI engines is too high to run on veggie oil. The highest blend that VW will certify in the engine is 5% Bio-diesel, and there haven't been any stories of successful veggie oil use on an 04+ that I have seen. I would imagine this would be even more of a problem for the performance oriented 335D (which doesn't get that good of mpg, something like mid-high 20's)
Appreciate 0