E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan ?

08-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #23
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 285ferrari View Post
Looking to add an intercooler, cold air intake and oil cooler. I currently have a JB4G5 and VRSF downpipes. Can has been 12.62 in the 1/4 mile, but gets hot after one pass. Looking to cool things down a bit. My local shop sells and installs Dinan products. I have heard they are great, but overpriced for what they are. Any recommendations for some more reasonable priced parts.
The Dinan FMIC is a remodified Spearco FMIC. Good quality, and it does the job very well regardless of tune you have. They increase the pressure drop from the orginal Spearco to 0.7 psi to give more cool down time on the charged air.

They also added flangs to increase the pressure in front of the FMIC. This help dramitically at higher speeds high gears to supress temps from building up too fast.

Their claim of the FMIC being 93% larger than the stock is pretty much in line what I saw as I have my stock intake next the Dinan FMIC and it looked about double the size and almost tripple the weight

The good thing about all this though they significanly dropped their price on this FMIC. Please make sure the shop your are referencing is not over charging you for the FMIC. Some of them may have had an FMIC that was sitting before the decrease in price but still want to charge you what they paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Pros of Dinan, their products come with a warranty.
Cons They are very expensive and they do not offer any performance gains over other cheaper products.

Intercooler: ER,ETS,AA,VRSF depending on your budget.

Intake : BMS DCI

Oil Cooler Upgrade : ER
Mike, no offence, but you have no idea what your talking about "...they do not offer any peformance gains..." I have their FMIC, which has been on BOTH of my E92 N54 cars and no complaints. I live in South Florida

Quote:
I have the BMS DCI and there is no way that thing is helping as good as it can. It is sucking hot air from the motor with the air filters open like that. Any thoughts on a sealed or better design intake other then the $$$$ Dinan? How about one like below?

http://www.topgearsolutions.com/afe-...-50-81472.html
I have the aFe Stage 2 Elite SI, here is my most recent post on the CAI with dyno and much research http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=13

Only worth it if your goign to be tuned and getting a FMIC

I also had much experience with Dinan's CAI, my previous E92 was a Dinan Stage 3 car. Hardware was ok their software sucked...... The aFe Stage 2 Elite SI performed almost identicle the same as the Dinan CAI @ 14-12 PSI vs the aFe @ 19-16 PSI in regards to "gains"

What this means is at higher boost the Dinan CAI will do worse
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #24
tjobeid
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

My car came with Dinan parts when i bought it. the place i bought it from didnt know. Had a dinan TUNE, CAI,EXHAUST. Left the CAI because of the unlimited number of compliments it gets and doesn't look as cheap as DUAL CONE INTAKEs. The exhaust sound good. But everything else i added was different brands VRSF everything else is bang for buck
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #25
285ferrari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

I am being told all 2007 and later 335 came with factory oil coolers? Is this true? How do I find out if my car has one?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #26
tjobeid
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Quote:
I am being told all 2007 and later 335 came with factory oil coolers? Is this true? How do I find out if my car has one?
look on the inside of the passenger side fender liner if it has vents for air in the wheel liner then u got it. late 06/early07 models didnt have it. Most 07 with sport package had it. i think all after 07 had it
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #27
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #28
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Mike, no offence, but you have no idea what your talking about "...they do not offer any peformance gains..." I have their FMIC, which has been on BOTH of my E92 N54 cars and no complaints. I live in South Florida
If you finish reading his sentence, you will see that Mike said that Dinan's products don't offer any performance gains OVER OTHER CHEAPER PARTS... ie. Dinan's over priced FMIC does not offer a performance gain over VRSF's much cheaper FMIC.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #29
285ferrari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
Great illustration!! I have one on my 2010
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #30
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
If you finish reading his sentence, you will see that Mike said that Dinan's products don't offer any performance gains OVER OTHER CHEAPER PARTS... ie. Dinan's over priced FMIC does not offer a performance gain over VRSF's much cheaper FMIC.
I did more than that, I read between the lines. He is also a vendor, and every single one of those references he made he is a reseller of

Please dont mention price cause the FMIC names listed cost as much as the current Dinan FMIC if you want premiuim performance out of a FMIC

http://www.x-ph.com/2007-2010-335-co...&sort=featured

So which non Dinan, non-premium product was he referencing when he said "...they do not offer any performance gains over other cheaper products...." ? The premimium or non premimium on his site ?

If you say the non-Premium FMIC I will tell you that is far from the truth cause we tested VRSF 5" vs Dinan FMIC, and the Dinan FMIC did better at keep temps "lower" at higher loads and speeds. I know this cause I ran a car with the VRSF 5" and we compared logs

No one has done the research on FMIC comparison with Dinan's FMIC other than on the non-Dinan modified original Spearco product back in 2008 - 2009

So how in the world would Mike know to make a statement like that about the Dinan product vs what he sells if he has nothing to back it up or anyone else ?

If anybody is willing to strap up and do some logs showing "ambient" temps and "intake temps" and pushing between 19-16 PSI, 3 gear pulls, I will be more than happy to pull some logs my self for comparisons
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #31
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
The 5" you tested in no longer in production. I'd be more than happy to compare the new stepped 5" vs the Dinan since I'm confident the new 5" will outperform the Dinan at a fraction of the price.

We have our 7" FMIC on multiple single turbo cars pushing upwards of 670whp. From what I've seen there isn't a FMIC that can outperform/compete against ours right now with similar dimensions aside from the ETS which is the only other intercooler I'd consider for this platform.

The AA and the AMS both require as much trimming as our 7" unit does and both don't perform as well due to the increased volume of ours intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #32
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

^ this is why I love Tiago and all of his products lol
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #33
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The 5" you tested in no longer in production. I'd be more than happy to compare the new stepped 5" vs the Dinan since I'm confident the new 5" will outperform the Dinan at a fraction of the price.
Accepted.....Here are my logs done right after your post. Make sure to log the following.

Actual Load
WGDC (any bank)
Gear (Starting from 3rd - 5th gears ending at 6k RPMs)
ECT
Oil temps

Boost
RPMs

The reason I have ECT and Oil temps highlighted red is to make sure your not runing on a cold start and your logs were done during normal engine operating temps

Also please poduce some proof of your Ambient Temps, DA with time / date and location. DA, Ambient Temps, Humidty play a very important role of how good a FMIC performs

http://datazap.me/u/buraq/v361?log=0...20&zoom=86-310

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivanapoli806 View Post
^ this is why I love Tiago and all of his products lol
If I was to chose another FMIC it would be the VRSF 7". I have always recommended VSRF 7" over all other FMIC for the 335is guys. I only recommend the Dinan FMIC is if someone inquires about it in concern of their warranty like the OP. Other than that I jump in when people start talking crap with no experience or research. So here we go, lets see how the VSRF 5" matches up to the Dinan FMIC

People like me is what keep companies like VRSF in check, repectfully speaking, so they dont BS other people.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #34
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I like your style but I'm a bigger fan of back to back testing under the same conditions and car in order to eliminate as many variables as possible. I'm an even bigger fan of independent testing.

In this case we can't produce the same temps/humidity/car but if you're willing/interested I'd be more than happy to offer up on of our 7" units for back to back testing. Shoot me a PM if you're interested
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #35
Whateva
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Check this out before buying an intercooler. Turns out wider is not better, however taller is.

So I Guess that's why BMS sells is one: http://www.burgertuning.com/F_chassi...oler_FMIC.html
But not for the n54 :/
Appreciate 0