E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Main water pipe at my house is busted. . .

04-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #23
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Which would you prefer, no water, or having your tub fill with a foot of other peoples piss and excrement? Yea that happened 2 days ago when the sewage backed up.
      04-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #24
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Which would you prefer, no water, or having your tub fill with a foot of other peoples piss and excrement? Yea that happened 2 days ago when the sewage backed up.
Oh man, thats insane. . .

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:10 AM   #25
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
It seems like you have a higher end house. I'm not a plumber but I have heard other people having this problem and they all ended fixing the problem and moving out altogether.
??
Higher end homes probably end up being more expensive to fix. Plumbers go to your house and price their work accordingly (gee mister, you look rich. I'm sure I can charge you a little more than my other customer who lives in Compton for the same job ). I've never heard of anyone moving out of a house just because their plumbing needs work, unless they didn't like the house in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
Yeah... This sucks big time. This happened to my family on Dec 23 last year. Lasted til the next day, afternoon. Christmas Eve and no water for most of the day. I also had a house full of family and extended family staying over. Had to run a hose from the front yard into the house LOL...
That happened to me this past dec. The hot water line burst underneath the house - slab! The hot water heater was running continuously and there was no HOT water. Turned it off. Got a quote the next morning -- $5k (initial quote) to fix! It took over a week to fix and the hot and cold water now goes up and into the attic and drops down where needed instead of going under the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
That happened about a year ago to me too... There's alway something to do...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #26
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

My water heater broke about a month ago, flooded the basement, ruined all the (old) carpet (and many baseboards).

New hot water heater (tankless) by the end of the day, so minimal inconvenience.

When I was young and my house lost power or water, we checked into a hotel for a day or 2 (cold Northeast, snow/ice storms knock out power).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #27
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

pitch a tent out back, pretend you're camping.

I bought a portable generator a little over a year ago for the ice storms. We seem to lose power at least a couple times each winter. If it's off more than a few hours, I can run my furnace (gas heat, just need to run the blower), the fridge and a few lights off the generator. It's easy to hook up, and if you don't know how to modify the house wiring for the generator, you can have an electrician do it for about $500.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #28
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
pitch a tent out back, pretend you're camping.

I bought a portable generator a little over a year ago for the ice storms. We seem to lose power at least a couple times each winter. If it's off more than a few hours, I can run my furnace (gas heat, just need to run the blower), the fridge and a few lights off the generator. It's easy to hook up, and if you don't know how to modify the house wiring for the generator, you can have an electrician do it for about $500.

Buy a 400 gallon water tank for your roof, for when you lose water.

Buy a generator, for when you lose electricity.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #29
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

well fortunately this problem was short lived. Woke up this morning with a text on my phone that said the water was working again.

We bought a bunch of distilled water last night to use to brush our teeth and was our hands. But since the water works haha, I just pumped out my coolant over-flow tank again and added a mixture of water wetter and distilled water

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #30
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

neema you must stink dude
      04-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #31
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
no haha, I was able to shower yesterday at my normal time before they shut the water off, and I just showered now haha.

I dont think they've totally fixed it, I'm pretty sure whatever they did was just a temporary solution so that we'd have water for now.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #32
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
They don't have basements in Arizona?
Nope.. Very rare.. Land is cheap and houses are spread out. No need to spend the $$ to dig or build a second story.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #33
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Meh, it's all good. He's got that extensive cologne collection to smell good.
Appreciate 0