E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Subaru BRZ Concept STI - Amazing!!!

08-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #771
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Maybe, but at 160rwph, having owned an s2000 and an STI, Its just ZZZZZzzzz to me. I'm sure it's fun, but so is an elise, I just find the hype to be overblown. But I remember the same thing with the 1M, now it's crickets about the 1M.
The Elise doesn't work as a DD and the 1M is fabulous if your idea of FUN is going sideways - it's not hype, provided you have the necessary skills. The Toyobaru's ride quality is better than the 1M and you can actually carry luggage and 2 more passengers in. As for the handling... well, let's stick with the relevant point :

Quote:
Makes you feel so totally connected to the car. Confidence-inspiring, which makes the limits easy to explore. Just like the Miata, a great learner's tool and expert's toy." Speaking of experts, a certain Mr. Pobst picked the BRZ as his second car overall.
2012 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car - 4th Place: Subaru BRZ

Now all is revealed... Pobst hated the 1M because it's NOT a confidence-inspiring car. That's precisely what I was trying to explain in the 1M forum when I got banned because of that. It's also why he loves the 991 so much - the 911 has lost its edge. Unlike Pobst, I don't hate the 1M, I just love the challenge because I'm far from mastering it... and yes, Pobst is spot on about the 1M when he says 'The shifter is slick, and light. I really enjoy that. You gotta do it just with your fingertips. If you try to muscle it with a fist, you're gonna get the wrong gear.' When you go from the 1M to the Toyobaru you immediately feel that difference (much like the S2000... you have to muscle it with a fist ).

BMW 1 Series M Coupe: 2011 Best Driver's Car Contender

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 08-23-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #772
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Because I find VERY important to know which car the opinion-makers own, here's the last 'bombshell'... Chris Harris has sold his Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 to buy a Ferrari 599 (now I just can't accuse him of being Porsche biased ) :

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #773
fourier
Rep
Drives: Reliant Robin

I never heard of this car. I saw this on one of my commuting days at a distance, so I got closer to investigate. I was quite surprised to see the Subaru badge. I went home to check out what this was and found that it's the same as the FR-S.

It's a nice a looking car and at least for the moment stands out and grabs attention. I wouldn't be surprised to see many of these on the road soon due to the price.

Coincidentally I saw an elise, and I wouldn't choose that. It may handle extremely well, but it's tiny. Although I've never been in one, it looks half the size (exaggeration) of the first gen MX5 (and at 6'2 that's not exactly comfortable). The BRZ looked like something that'd work for a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #774
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #775
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Lexus IS-F engine in...

It even comes with a blue beer cooler packed with ice...

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #776
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Nice pics (thanks to 135iMike)...

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:23 AM   #777
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Future Mazda MX-5 Rumors: Coming 2015, 200-HP 1.3-Liter Turbo

C'mon Toyota and Subaru... what are you waiting for to put the turborcharged boxer 1.6 D4-S engine in the Toyobaru?! This is a NO brainer decision!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #778
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #779
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #780
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

A boxer version of this engine (which was co-developed by BMW and Peugeot) is what should be underneath that Toyobaru's bonnet. Period.
  • Direct Fuel Injection
  • Capacity: 1598 cc
  • Power: 200 hp @ 5800 rpm (6500 rpm redline and a 6700 rpm rev limiter)
  • Torque: 275 Nm @ 1700 - 4500 rpm
  • Compression ratio: 10.5:1
  • Engine Weight: 120 kg (with oil and clutch but without accessories)

Just look at where the twin-scroll turbocharger is placed. Plus it has variable valve lift (aka Valvetronic ). You can't complain about the throttle response...

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 09-03-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #781
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Fast and furious...

Quote:
A brand new aerodynamic kit that can be ordered at the time of purchase and collected directly from the factory. The package consists of a front spoiler, side sills, a diffuser and a very generous rear wing, all of which have been developed thanks to lengthy sessions in the wind tunnel as well as many hours spent on the track. These changes increase the stability of the car as well as its downforce, and do not alter the overall drag coefficient of the model, which thereby remains 0.27.

The front bumper is now fitted with vertical fins and a double canard wing positioned at an angle of 12 degrees: the former manage the flow of air that enters the ventilation grill, the latter is meant to increase the ground effect. The side skirts are ultimately designed to simplify the ejection of the air from the front wheel compartments.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #782
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

More fast and furious...

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #783
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

I thought I would share Ayrton Senna's drifting footage while driving the Honda NSX and, who would have guessed, a Mercedes 190E 2.3 ... you can see the driving technique of one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time through his crisp white socks and polished leather shoes (he didn't left foot brake like some of today's F1 drivers)...

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #784
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

As a side note: If you heel and toe it doesn't necessarily mean you can't left foot brake also. I do both. You can left foot brake when you don't need to downshift (like in 2nd gear - the 1M's 2nd gear can reach in excess of 68 mph and due to its massive low end torque downshifting from 2nd is pretty pointless). However, above 2nd gear one really needs to know the road/track already in order to know when downshifting is needed or not needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #785
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Look how good the turbocharged, direct injection petrol engines really have became... 1.0L, 3-cylinder Ecoboost Ford engine uprated to 205 hp !!! Please Toyota and Subaru think again...

The engine's base version torque is 170Nm (200Nm with 30-second overboost) @ 1300 - 4500 rpm for a 6500 rpm redline.

The 500 kg Formula Ford did the Nordschleife track in 7m 22s with the uprated version of this engine – better than Lamborghini Aventador, Ferrari Enzo and the Pagani Zonda:

Base version:

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #786
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

A little off-topic:

I really don't know what is happening with Sauber F1 team... I think Kamui Kobayashi needs to move to Ferrari ASAP. Kobayashi qualifies much better than his team mate (who couldn't even reach Q3) and then Giampaolo Dall’Ara, Sauber head of track engineering, comes out and says:

Quote:
“Both cars got away quite well from the start. Our drivers were on different strategies: Kamui was on used medium tyres from Q3, while Sergio started on new hard tyres. We targeted one stop for both drivers. But Kamui lost some time, and we have to investigate why his car was not as quick as the other one. Something went wrong there."

Give me a break... How come they could send Kobayashi in one-stop strategy with a used set of medium tyres while at the same time they put Perez in the same one-stop strategy BUT with new hard tyres?!?!

Of course Kobayashi would loose some time at some point in the beginning of the race trying to preserve a set of used medium tyres for one-stop strategy... what would they expect?! That's the reason why they sent Perez on a fresh new set of HARD tires for the exact same strategy, right?! It simply doesn't make any sense in Kobayashi's case...

I haven't forgot how Sauber messed up Kobayashi's race in the Canada Grand Prix with the wrong strategy (and they did it once again now in Italy):

In the Canada Grand Prix Sauber planned two stops for Kobayashi on SUPER SOFT tyres and after his pit stop the team changed his strategy to one stop and he did 46 laps on the set of soft tyres , while Perez started 15th on the HARDER compound and it turned out that one stop was possible and even quicker. Kamui Kobayashi started once again from a much better position after qualifying 11th... but what was the end result?!

Again, Perez finished the race in the podium with a third place and again Kobayashi finished in P9.

Something is VERY wrong here... I think that Sauber should at least exchange engineers between Perez and Kobayashi, maybe this way it wouldn't be so damn' obvious!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #787
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Toyobaru's european competition is getting tougher... the Peugeot RCZ-R which is an uprated version of the present RCZ will be presented also in the Paris Motor Show taking place in the end of this month.

In Europe the RCZ costs about the same as the Toyobaru and in 2013 it will have a more powerful version of the turbocharged, direct fuel injection 1.6 THP engine with 260 hp (160 hp / liter) - that's an uprated version of the EP6CDTX engine which was co-developed by BMW and Peugeot (see above) - and also a Torsen limited slip differential in this 'R' guise:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 09-12-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #788
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Wow, this thread has gotten off topic! lol. ^^Looks like a good competitor to the i8
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #789
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

creepy thread. Before today, the last person other than "GoingTooFast" to post in this thread posted over 2 WEEKS AGO.

GoingTooFast has been essentially talking to himself for over 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #790
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
creepy thread. Before today, the last person other than "GoingTooFast" to post in this thread posted over 2 WEEKS AGO.

GoingTooFast has been essentially talking to himself for over 2 weeks.
+1

I like the FT-86/BRZ, plan on purchasing it, but this thread is a bad image for the car. This thread has become worthless. Thanks to GoingTooFast "marketing" no body wants to know anything about this car anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #791
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Wow, this thread has gotten off topic! lol. ^^Looks like a good competitor to the i8
No. I'm trying to prove that a turbocharged 1.6-liter direct fuel injection boxer engine is the way to go for the Toyobaru... and the engine it should have had in the first place.

The Peugeot concept is just the last great example of that kind of engine but on a 4-inline version.

Those who are now complaining about my posts are the first ones to complain about the Toyobaru's engine lack of power and to dismiss it precisely because of that... at least that's what they say.

I, on the other hand, may well buy one just as it is... meanwhile I will keep on asking for what would have made this car almost perfect.

EDIT: The Peugeot ONYX has a diesel engine. The 1.6 THP petrol engine goes into the Peugeot RCZ-R instead. Sorry, my mistake!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 09-12-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #792
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Fast and Furious part 3...

Appreciate 0