E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Getting my 1st Swiss watch. Advice/Opinions needed.

09-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #67
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

ill never understand why people spend thousands of dollars on jewelry
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #68
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
^^ that JLC watch is sick....not for 34k tho... rather get a patek, glashutte or vacheron (spelling?)
      09-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #69
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan230 View Post
Hi guys, I'm getting my first Swiss watch very soon. I've mainly been looking at Omegas and Tag Heuers and I wanted to get some feed-back on my selection from the watch-enthusiasts on this board. How do these watches compare? Which one is more reliable? Which one is more prestigious?

FYI: I'm turning 23 in about a week, so I guess I'm not terribly old and I want a watch that's still sporty. The perfect watch size for me is 41mm, anything larger would look funny.

So lemme know what you guys think ! Thanks in advance.
Rolex, just like a good wife, all you need is one in an entire lifetime.

I bought mine at 21 using proceeds from my summer internship.
      09-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #70
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
same..
Banks.

It suits me well I think, and I wear a lot of black.

-Nathan
      09-14-2007, 06:20 PM   #71
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
because we can.....
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #72
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Two items you can tell whether a man is cultured or not:
  • His watche(s);
  • His pair(s) of shoes.
      09-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #73
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

Probably for the same reasons why some people buy BMWs and others are happy with Toyotas.
      09-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #74
theDude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Breitling

This is my suggestion...these watches are damn near bullet-proof. One of the things I like about them, is that they separate watch lovers from your everyday Rolex fanboy (I like Rolex, don't get me wrong...but everyone will recognize it). Of course, it doesn't stop people from noticing and gushing

Check out their website...there are a ton of models and the base watches start around ~2k

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #75
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I <3 Breitling, but Im looking at seamasters now too, something about the Bond and just design makes my jaw drop
      09-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #76
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
Probably for the same reasons why some people buy BMWs and others are happy with Toyotas.
+1
well said
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 12:08 AM   #77
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
  • His watche(s);
  • His pair(s) of shoes.
'Cultured' is such a loaded term; one man's 'cultured' is another's waste of money.

Who do I need to impress? I've already made it. I'll make others buy the watches to try to impress me. :rocks:

"Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little." -V. Chen Yang

(Yes, Revlis, I know - happiness is a warm gun.)

'Cultured' is just a lame term to avoid calling it the 'my dick is bigger than yours' game.

Shit, I shouldn't have drank all that cough syrup...maybe I'll go wake the kids...and play some night Jarts...where's that flashlight!?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 01:33 AM   #78
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
  • His watche(s);
  • His pair(s) of shoes.
Bullshit! Every Half brained toolshed out there that is dying to look like more than middle management fodder will max out a freaking discover card to buy a damn Rolex and pair of Jeffrey West Shoes because they read somewhere that they are "The Best".

Has little or nothing to do with culture anymore, so much as a desire to appear cultured. A wish for class if you will.

Besides, look at all the moronic rap stars out there... "Iced" Rolex, Patek Phillipe, etc and watch "Cribs" and you'll see that The Watch shoe thing certainly no longer applies when these scumbags are in possession of hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of bespoke shoes, and high end watches with no idea of their history, importance, value, or significance. It's part of the American tragedy, Generations of fools believing you can buy class or respect...

Now, you do not know if someone is cultured until they open their mouths... Even then, it comes down to a pretty arbitrary set of assumptions, or requirements you have in mind for what makes a person cultured.
      09-16-2007, 01:36 AM   #79
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
'Cultured' is such a loaded term; one man's 'cultured' is another's waste of money.

Who do I need to impress? I've already made it. I'll make others buy the watches to try to impress me. :rocks:

"Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little." -V. Chen Yang

(Yes, Revlis, I know - happiness is a warm gun.)

'Cultured' is just a lame term to avoid calling it the 'my dick is bigger than yours' game.

Shit, I shouldn't have drank all that cough syrup...maybe I'll go wake the kids...and play some night Jarts...where's that flashlight!?
I love the way the smoke rises off the barrel of my M4 as the CLP burns off after a few 30rnd magazines are emptied in a hurry...

Some folks would consider that "uncultured"... I'd consider it entertainment...
      09-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #80
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
I love the way the smoke rises off the barrel of my M4 as the CLP burns off after a few 30rnd magazines are emptied in a hurry...

LOL.

Revlis you crack me up.

Oops...almost typed in "you crap me up".
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 01:54 AM   #81
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
LOL.

Revlis you crack me up.

Oops...almost typed in "you crap me up".

Did I forget to mention I may well be wearing a Rolex Daytona "OR" a Casio GW1200BA. Will wearing the Casio make me less cultured? Is anyone going to tell the guy with the rifle he's "uncultured"...

What about when I am wearing the Daytona with jeans and Doc Martins, does that make me cultured? While Shooting?

Crap Me up? That's what I did earlier today with a project I was working on... Crapped it up... Left work and said to hell with it. Grabbed a Triumph Tiger 1050 demo off the floor and went for a long ride...
      09-16-2007, 02:29 AM   #82
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

watches are for wage slaves that need to get to work on time.

The truly wealthy don't wear watches - I don't need to know what time it is because the universe revolves around me.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 02:38 AM   #83
karan230
400 hp :)
India
Rep
Drives: SLK230 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 Baller View Post
I <3 Breitling, but Im looking at seamasters now too, something about the Bond and just design makes my jaw drop
yea same here ! hehe...it's so simple, i really love it.

i've also added breitling to my list...i tried on a superocean steelfish (brushed w/ pearl-white face) ... really solid, attractive design.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 02:44 AM   #84
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

i say go with a Omega Speedmaster Professional, you get the brand name of Omega, but you get the same look of the Tag Heuer Carrera

I've had my Omega Speedmaster for 3 years now and I love it, i use it for all occasions, work, play, DRIVE!

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 03:07 AM   #85
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Bullshit! Every Half brained toolshed out there that is dying to look like more than middle management fodder will max out a freaking discover card to buy a damn Rolex and pair of Jeffrey West Shoes because they read somewhere that they are "The Best".

Has little or nothing to do with culture anymore, so much as a desire to appear cultured. A wish for class if you will.

Besides, look at all the moronic rap stars out there... "Iced" Rolex, Patek Phillipe, etc and watch "Cribs" and you'll see that The Watch shoe thing certainly no longer applies when these scumbags are in possession of hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of bespoke shoes, and high end watches with no idea of their history, importance, value, or significance. It's part of the American tragedy, Generations of fools believing you can buy class or respect...

Now, you do not know if someone is cultured until they open their mouths... Even then, it comes down to a pretty arbitrary set of assumptions, or requirements you have in mind for what makes a person cultured.
True.. Tons of people are living beyond their means now a'days. Maxing out credit cards, making payments on several cars and a house.. While having little to no money to spend on other things. All just to fit the image of someone who is wealthy.

I will never use credit. (Even though our world seems to be based on it now)
I refuse, and will always pay the full amount up front.

-Nathan
      09-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #86
Str8EJ
Master of Ceremonies
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Jet Blk/Blk/6Spd

Quote:
  • His watche(s);
  • His pair(s) of shoes.
wrong.
correct answers are:
1. the books in his library
2. passport, places traveled
3. manner of communicating

the only things a pair of shoes and a wristwatch tell you about someone is where they like to shop and the magazines they like to read.

on topic - i own a '68 omega constellation. stainless w/ black leather band.
it was a gift from my grandfather to my dad, and now to me. i don't know what the dollar value is; i consider it priceless.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #87
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

I love stirring up controversies, it makes this forum a good platform for debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8EJ View Post
wrong.
correct answers are:
1. the books in his library
2. passport, places traveled
3. manner of communicating

the only things a pair of shoes and a wristwatch tell you about someone is where they like to shop and the magazines they like to read.

on topic - i own a '68 omega constellation. stainless w/ black leather band.
it was a gift from my grandfather to my dad, and now to me. i don't know what the dollar value is; i consider it priceless.
Unfortunately, it may not be possible to have access to someone else's library and his/her passport.

In term of communicating, there are always great sales person out there who are good "actors".

'68 Omega Constellation is a good watch, it tells us on this forum you value vintage and tradition.

Quote:

True, besides celebrtities, who sell their bodies for sponsorships from head to toe, I have yet to meet someone who is willing to spend his/her hard-earn money on these two "low key" items, which does not stand out like your houses, cars, private jets, yachts, motocylces, or suits, would otherwise contradict what I have observed.

The next time you know someone well, not a celebrity, that fits into this category, let us know if this is not true.

Last edited by achien; 09-16-2007 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #88
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
True.. Tons of people are living beyond their means now a'days. Maxing out credit cards, making payments on several cars and a house.. While having little to no money to spend on other things. All just to fit the image of someone who is wealthy.

I will never use credit. (Even though our world seems to be based on it now)
I refuse, and will always pay the full amount up front.

-Nathan
I see it a lot, I have a friend that combined with his wife make well over $4-500k a year. You'd think that everything is peachy, no way they could be struggling along...

BUT

They are over extended, 2 kids, Fancy Cars, HUGE Mc Mansion, a Cabin in the woods, and they are near penniless... THIS IS WHAT SCARES THE HELL OUTTA ME... I could handle the fear accompanied by having little income and lots of debt, but could you imagine the terror of having a substantial income and being in over your head??? THAT scares the hell outta me...

I dunno what these two are going to do, but when they started opting out of our weekly Sushi outings to save money... I was a little Concerned.

The wife and I do not make No Mortgage, or No Car payment Money yet. We'd rather keep our liquid assets liquid and make payments on the cars, but by god we're careful of watching the bottom line and making sure we never get in too deep. Besides, our history tends to be one of "Hey Lets Move to...." and two months later being there, so it's best to travel light.