E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Getting my 1st Swiss watch. Advice/Opinions needed.

09-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #89
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8EJ View Post
wrong.
correct answers are:
1. the books in his library
2. passport, places traveled
3. manner of communicating

the only things a pair of shoes and a wristwatch tell you about someone is where they like to shop and the magazines they like to read.

on topic - i own a '68 omega constellation. stainless w/ black leather band.
it was a gift from my grandfather to my dad, and now to me. i don't know what the dollar value is; i consider it priceless.
I like this set of criteria, the only thing I was wondering is if "Pig Skin on the Wall" should be added, or is that part of Books on a shelf?

Anyhoo, How about back to the watches? What decision did the OP make?

Last edited by Revlis; 09-17-2007 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #90
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
I reccomend an Omega if he wants a sporty look...if he wants something a little more classy i think he should look at Baume et Mercier ( nice automatics with subtle designs they even have a nice open model with a cut-out at the 12o'clock position so you can see the insides)
      09-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #91
JB BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi

I love my Tag Heuer and get compliments all the time. Def a sporty watch. No offense to anyone but I have only seen Omega's on people over 30. On this board they seem to be very popular though. My ultimate preference is Breitling though.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #92
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

I know many wealthy americans but none that are cultured. I don't believe such a thing exists, but I don't know all rich americans personally.

I know many wealthy europeans, but most of the ones that I would consider cultured are also snooty about it, negating any culturedness.

I know you think I was joking, but *seriously* if you're looking for a wealthy, cultured man, look for a guy that doesn't wear a watch, wears good but not overly expensive shoes getting out of an understated car out of the luxury segment.

When is the last time you saw Billionaire Steve Jobs wearing a watch? Or expensive shoes? Lately he's been wearing $100 New Balance 991's.

Virgin boss Branson wears ludicrously expensive watches, but only because he gets sponsered for doing so... and again, no ludicrously expensive shoes. Actually, he looks like a vagrant most times.

I'm telling you, it's only the nearly-affluent that make a point of posing through expensive watches or items of clothing.

You don't need a watch if you're loaded. You can afford a PA to wear one for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #93
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Maybe you ^^^^^^ missed this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post

Anyhoo, How about back to the watches? What decision did the OP make?
so do you have any reccomendations? or are you still going to talk to yourself?...lol

the kid is obviously not loaded since his parents are purchasing it for him....so how can he have a PA wear one for him?...diddnt think so
      09-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #94
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep

> the kid is obviously not loaded since his parents are purchasing it for him....so how can he have a PA wear one for him?...diddnt think so

I've seen kids with PA's... Though I'll grant you they're usually instructed to act as baby sitter/chaperone/pay bail.

Plus, you give the PA a Seiko imitation. You get those free if you order stuff online.

> so do you have any reccomendations? or are you still going to talk to yourself?...lol

Ah, eeh - Talk to myself, I guess. I don't wear watches. Don't need to.

Come to think of it, I've got one in a drawer somewhere. I think it's German. Don't recall what brand but it could go really deep underwater, it doesn't need winding or a battery and it syncs time somehow.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #95
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post

Come to think of it, I've got one in a drawer somewhere. I think it's German. Don't recall what brand but it could go really deep underwater, it doesn't need winding or a battery and it syncs time somehow.
That is called Automatic (self-winding, or in Rolex terms, perpetual) watch. Best watches are made to run with no need to wind or having batteries.

To the OP, whatever watch you get, make sure it is an Automatic.
      09-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #96
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
>
Sounds fancy....does it tell you when Christ is coming to? hahahhaha

just pokin fun
      09-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #97
karan230
400 hp :)
India
Rep
Drives: SLK230 Sport

Sup guys...I got "the watch" on Sunday, from Traditional Jewelers in Fashion Island, Newport Beach.

I've just been staring at it in the box...it's so beautiful...I'll take pics and stuff on my b-day (20th Sept). lol. I know, I'm very childish.

Ohh...I got the Omega Seamaster 300M Diver Chronometer aka Bond watch 2220.80.00 !
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #98
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
> the kid is obviously not loaded since his parents are purchasing it for him....so how can he have a PA wear one for him?...diddnt think so

I've seen kids with PA's... Though I'll grant you they're usually instructed to act as baby sitter/chaperone/pay bail.

Plus, you give the PA a Seiko imitation. You get those free if you order stuff online.

> so do you have any reccomendations? or are you still going to talk to yourself?...lol

Ah, eeh - Talk to myself, I guess. I don't wear watches. Don't need to.

Ah yes... The Sound of the Wannabee. "The Wealthy do not wear Watches." Followed by "I don't wear a watch."

Last I heard, the cultured don't spend a lot of time telling folks about the wealth they have. Sounds like the only thing you're missing is the Hat and Cowboy Boots...

Yeah, all of us "Silly Uncultured Americans"... Funny thing is we can smell unfounded arrogance and BS a mile away.
      09-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #99
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan230 View Post
Sup guys...I got "the watch" on Sunday, from Traditional Jewelers in Fashion Island, Newport Beach.

I've just been staring at it in the box...it's so beautiful...I'll take pics and stuff on my b-day (20th Sept). lol. I know, I'm very childish.

Ohh...I got the Omega Seamaster 300M Diver Chronometer aka Bond watch 2220.80.00 !
Congrats, I am certain it will serve you well for years to come..
      09-18-2007, 12:38 AM   #100
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
congrats on the watch karen!
post pix!
      09-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #101
Str8EJ
Master of Ceremonies
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Jet Blk/Blk/6Spd

phat.
remember to take it off when you work on your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #102
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep

> Ah yes... The Sound of the Wannabee. "The Wealthy do not wear Watches." Followed by "I don't wear a watch."

Oh, but I'm a pauper, not wealthy at all. I don't wear a watch because there's time everywhere: On my cellphone, in my car, on my computer.

> Last I heard, the cultured don't spend a lot of time telling folks about the wealth they have.

They also don't flaunt it by wearing expensive watches.

> Yeah, all of us "Silly Uncultured Americans"... Funny thing is we can smell unfounded arrogance and BS a mile away.

And then run to vote that person into office...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #103
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Bullshit! Every Half brained toolshed out there that is dying to look like more than middle management fodder will max out a freaking discover card to buy a damn Rolex and pair of Jeffrey West Shoes because they read somewhere that they are "The Best".

Has little or nothing to do with culture anymore, so much as a desire to appear cultured. A wish for class if you will.

Besides, look at all the moronic rap stars out there... "Iced" Rolex, Patek Phillipe, etc and watch "Cribs" and you'll see that The Watch shoe thing certainly no longer applies when these scumbags are in possession of hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of bespoke shoes, and high end watches with no idea of their history, importance, value, or significance. It's part of the American tragedy, Generations of fools believing you can buy class or respect...

Now, you do not know if someone is cultured until they open their mouths... Even then, it comes down to a pretty arbitrary set of assumptions, or requirements you have in mind for what makes a person cultured.
+1 - Damn Revlis, I'm impressed. Couldn't have stated it better myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #104
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
I see it a lot, I have a friend that combined with his wife make well over $4-500k a year. You'd think that everything is peachy, no way they could be struggling along...

BUT

They are over extended, 2 kids, Fancy Cars, HUGE Mc Mansion, a Cabin in the woods, and they are near penniless... THIS IS WHAT SCARES THE HELL OUTTA ME... I could handle the fear accompanied by having little income and lots of debt, but could you imagine the terror of having a substantial income and being in over your head??? THAT scares the hell outta me...

I dunno what these two are going to do, but when they started opting out of our weekly Sushi outings to save money... I was a little Concerned.
:
These people fall into the "Asset rich, Cash poor" category. They almost feel "poor" because they owe others money.

Quote:
The wife and I do not make No Mortgage, or No Car payment Money yet. We'd rather keep our liquid assets liquid and make payments on the cars, but by god we're careful of watching the bottom line and making sure we never get in too deep. Besides, our history tends to be one of "Hey Lets Move to...." and two months later being there, so it's best to travel light.
Until you decide to settle down and start a family. I used to be able to pack my entire life away in two (2) hours, two check-in suit cases and two (2) carry-on (including the laptop) and fly across either side of the pond (having no relationship helps).

After having two (2) kids with my wife, I now have to wait almost two (2) decades again before trying the same crazy thing again.

Until then, I will keep driving my to make up for the excitement.
      09-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #105
AcMilan714
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i, e36 325is.

My vote has got to be Panerai.. But minimum price starts from 4k..
Don't own one but the power reserve SS is my dream watch @ the moment..

Sorry i just noticed you got the watch, congrats Omega is a classic..... Nice buy...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #106
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have my Omega up for sale if anyone is interested.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151949
      06-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #107
fermion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

2 questions

how well do these watches hold their values, do they depreciate like our cars?
also, can somebody recommend some watches that might actually appreciate in value?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #108
DannyZ
Sergeant Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW Z4 3.0i

if you just want opinions on which of the two for you to get...get the Tag-Heur...
A better looking watch IMO...they're both great built watches so go with the one that fits nice is not to bulky and looks the coolest.
      06-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #109
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Tag FTW! I have a Tag Aqua Racer. Have had it for about three years. It holds up like a champ. This watch has taken a beating, and still looks as good as the day I bought it. It is the silver band with blue face and besel (with yellow second hand) It is accurate and looks great IMO. CLassic watch that stands out but is not too "in your face" Great balance IMO. Good luck

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #110
karan230
400 hp :)
India
Rep
Drives: SLK230 Sport

holy resurrection hehe...

E39 M5 | Anthracite | Black/Red Extended Leather
R170 SLK230 Sport | Sunburst Yellow | Black Leather
W201 190E 2.3 | Black | Black MB-Tex