E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Check out this 22 year old Rolex...

05-17-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Check out this 22 year old Rolex...

As many of you know I got married in January, and bought my lovely bride a Rolex ladies Datejust for a wedding gift. When my birthday came 'round in April, my wife (God I love this woman) suggested I get a men's Datejust that matched hers. I took this as an opportunity to seek out a vintage model. I contacted a trusted source in Singapore to source what I wanted, and he came through for me with the below piece.

Looks pretty good for a 22 year old watch don't you think?

The serial number on the watch dates it to 1984, but the watch looks as good as new (thanks to a little polishing). Here's a shot of the movement:

The watch is running about +2 seconds a day - better than some of my brand new Rolexes. While the robustness of a Rolex is impressive, and a testiment to the brand, it is the timelessnes of their designs which impresses me the most. Here's a photo of one of Rolex's newest revisions of the Datejust (sent to me by Rolex for review, valued at $13,000.00) next to my vintage model. As you can see, there's only subtle differences in the case design.

As you can tell, I'm really excited about adding this piece to my collection. My wife loves the fact that we have matching watches.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Wow, nice Daytona John!

Hear anything about the "new" datejusts? I talked to a dealer a few weeks ago and they told me the old ones are discontinued and the new ones have a new bracelet and raised bezel or something. Know anything about it? (maybe a silly question!)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Wow, nice Daytona John!

Hear anything about the "new" datejusts? I talked to a dealer a few weeks ago and they told me the old ones are discontinued and the new ones have a new bracelet and raised bezel or something. Know anything about it? (maybe a silly question!)
Sure - the all gold one in the photo above is one of the new DJs...the bracelet and clasp is much improved. The dial designs that I've seen seem to be pushing the watch toward being more sporty, which is a little disappointing as I see the Datejust and Day Date lines as dress watches, but they are nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Nice John.

Question about the new SEADWELLER in ss. I have my ss Sub on my wrist and a friend of mine showed his brandnew ss Seadweller this morning:Great watch.

But the actual size of the dial is smaller than my Sub...
Ididn't know that. I only knew the Seadwellers case is thicker and has a helium escapevalve + somethnig engraved on the back + no cyclop lense. And that the crystal is thicker, but I didn't know the Seadwellers bezel was thicker THUS making the dial smaller in diameter.

BUT!
Now in front of me a 2002 Rolex brochure:And both the Sub and the SD have the same dial/case size

Is the 2006 SD 'smaller'?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood
Nice John.

Question about the new SEADWELLER in ss. I have my ss Sub on my wrist and a friend of mine showed his brandnew ss Seadweller this morning:Great watch.

But the actual size of the dial is smaller than my Sub...
Ididn't know that. I only knew the Seadwellers case is thicker and has a helium escapevalve + somethnig engraved on the back + no cyclop lense. And that the crystal is thicker, but I didn't know the Seadwellers bezel was thicker THUS making the dial smaller in diameter.

BUT!
Now in front of me a 2002 Rolex brochure:And both the Sub and the SD have the same dial/case size

Is the 2006 SD 'smaller'?
If you'd like some more information on the Sea-Dweller, check out the articles I have on my web site - www.rolexreferencepage.com.

The dial of the SD is a skosh smaller than the Sub - by 1 mm or less depending on who's doing the measuring. However, the diamater of a watch is normally measured at the bezel ends, not including the crown, so both the Sub and SD are 40mm in diameter.

I currently have 1 Sea-Dweller (16600) and 1 Sub. I've owned a few Sub variations, and plan to buy a 16610 Sub to pass along to my son...or maybe I'll give him my 16600 one day...hard to say.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Thanx John, so the dial is a tiny bit smaller.

My birthday this 30th of may(36)I wanted to surprise myself with or a Girard Perregaux SS Classic Collection Chronographe Retour en Vol(Flyback) with Leather strap or this one:

Jaeger LeCoultre Compressor Chrono, which I chose: Right choice, a rather good manufacturer

Edit:THIS is the correct picture.I'll be getting another strap.

Last edited by Robin_NL; 05-19-2006 at 04:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If Rolex ever releases me from their grip, JLC and Patek are on my short list of brands I'd like to have an example from. Gorgeous Compressor....I knew someone who had one on the bracelet, which was very impresive.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

i gotta admit, i was thinking it would be some super big, clunky pos.

its really nice. Good find. How much?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #9
8t
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: E90 - 320

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_John
As many of you know I got married in January, and bought my lovely bride a Rolex ladies Datejust for a wedding gift. When my birthday came 'round in April, my wife (God I love this woman) suggested I get a men's Datejust that matched hers. I took this as an opportunity to seek out a vintage model. I contacted a trusted source in Singapore to source what I wanted, and he came through for me with the below piece.

Looks pretty good for a 22 year old watch don't you think?
congrats on your new Datejust, wow you got the watch from half way round the globe, and i am right here in Singapore.

care to share why Singapore ?

bt
cheers
      05-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
Ryan.M
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3..E30 325i..72' 2002

Congrats on the Rolex I am looking into buying a Panerai this year.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #11
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
i gotta admit, i was thinking it would be some super big, clunky pos.

its really nice. Good find. How much?
Thanks much...vintage Datejust and Day Date models are some of the best watch values out there right now. I'd tell you how much I paid for mine, but it would make you cry....
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8t
congrats on your new Datejust, wow you got the watch from half way round the globe, and i am right here in Singapore.

care to share why Singapore ?

bt
cheers
Well, I've worked with the dealer I sourced the watch from before, and he never fails to impress with the magnificent examples he turns up. He also more than reasonable to deal with. Quite honestly, there's no shortage of this model watch in the marketplace (the Datejust is Rolex's best selling watch) but it's rare to find one so pristine.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #13
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANM330CI
Congrats on the Rolex I am looking into buying a Panerai this year.
I've reviewed several Panerai in the past. Very nice watch - not my cup o' tea, but very nice nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #14
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey, John - what are your thoughts on Patek Philippe?
      05-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Hey, John - what are your thoughts on Patek Philippe?
Generally speaking, they are considered the top of the horological mountain - the best of the best.

Personally, I have great admiration for the brand, and there are a few model i'd consider owning.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 03:14 PM   #16
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

When you say it runs +2 seconds a day (not sure if it's a major issue or not), does that mean that the movement is no longer in calibration? My impression was that "Chronometer Certified" required it to be more accurate than that.

What does Superlative Chronometer mean?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2006, 12:11 AM   #17
tl_boy
Major
Rep

since you know about watches, what do you think of Omega Seasmaster professional? Bond.... james Bond.

??

Thats what i sport.

Quote:
Thanks much...vintage Datejust and Day Date models are some of the best watch values out there right now. I'd tell you how much I paid for mine, but it would make you cry....
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #18
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Timeless designs never age.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2006, 04:41 AM   #19
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface
When you say it runs +2 seconds a day (not sure if it's a major issue or not), does that mean that the movement is no longer in calibration? My impression was that "Chronometer Certified" required it to be more accurate than that.

What does Superlative Chronometer mean?
"Chronometer" is a lable given to any timepiece that is certified for accuracy by the Swiss COSC institute. Mechanical watches are inherently less accurate than quartz watches - the threashold for attaining COSC certification is that a movement must average no less than -4 or more than +6 seconds per day accuracy over two weeks of testing in a variety of positions and temperatures. So by mechanical standards, +2 per day is outstanding.

"Superlative" is Rolex's own adjective they tag on to the lable Chronometer.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2006, 04:42 AM   #20
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
since you know about watches, what do you think of Omega Seasmaster professional? Bond.... james Bond.

??

Thats what i sport.
I've had several - great watches. Check out my other site, The Seamaster Reference Page at www.seamasterreferencepage.com.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #21
tl_boy
Major
Rep

omg, you're crazy about watches
This is mine! http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/se...ondreview.html

Quote:
I've had several - great watches. Check out my other site, The Seamaster Reference Page at www.seamasterreferencepage.com.

Last edited by tl_boy; 05-19-2006 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #22
Daytona_John
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
omg, you're crazy about watches
This is mine! http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/se...ondreview.html
I am indeed.

The Bond Seamaster is easily Omega's most popular model. I'm playing with this Omega right now, and quite liking it:

Excuse the quick shot from my phone:

Appreciate 0