E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > The NEW American Interior style

10-21-2009, 03:09 AM   #23
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
That Buick looks horrible. A distracting, confusing mess. The Caddy is only slightly better, barely.
the Buick, in person, is amazing.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 03:14 AM   #24
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Big improvement and you're right about them looking similar. Also: Way too many buttons.
you should count the number of buttons in the center console + steering wheel of your BMW before you start talking dumb sh*t like this.

I swear to God, some people just look for a reason to hate on American cars.

I had the opportunity to sit in the Buick a couple of days ago while helping my mother find a new car...was blown away by the interior. everything about it wreaked of niceties. buttons felt fine and fairly well placed. and @ $39K fully loaded, it felt underpriced by about $8k. I know haters won't, but I would still suggest you go to a showroom and see some of these cars for yourselves.

Oh, and you'll appreciate that the SatNav is comfortably worlds better than our BMW nav. not to mention that it's touch screen as well as nob-controlled.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #25
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
you should count the number of buttons in the center console + steering wheel of your BMW before you start talking dumb sh*t like this.

I swear to God, some people just look for a reason to hate on American cars.

I had the opportunity to sit in the Buick a couple of days ago while helping my mother find a new car...was blown away by the interior. everything about it wreaked of niceties. buttons felt fine and fairly well placed. and @ $39K fully loaded, it felt underpriced by about $8k. I know haters won't, but I would still suggest you go to a showroom and see some of these cars for yourselves.

Oh, and you'll appreciate that the SatNav is comfortably worlds better than our BMW nav. not to mention that it's touch screen as well as nob-controlled.
Touch screens generally don't work well in automobiles. Reason being, because you have to totally divert your attention to use them. No sensory feedback.
      10-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #26
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I counted 58 for the LaCrosse, not counting anything that is touch based on the Nav screen and not counting AC vent wheels. (Which would substantially increase it.)

I count 51. Counting every teeter button as 2, steering wheel buttons, headlight control dial, and windows on the center console. Not counting AC vent wheels.
If counting the only physical buttons, it would be down in the high 20s I'm sure.

Count 47 for this, including the window buttons moved to the arm rests on the doors. Counting every teeter button as 2, steering wheel buttons, and ignition and headlight controls. Not counting AC vent wheels.
      10-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #27
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post

It simply shocks me that people debate which is the better "design".
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #28
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
the E46?

and you guys do realize that Caddy and Buick are all Chevy, hence their interiors look similar and most buttoms are the same. nothing special.. 3/5/7 series all look VERY similar and share most of the same controls and buttons.

same goes with other makes and models... at least the CTS and Buick look diff enough.. 3 and 5 series is pretty much "exactly" the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #29
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
There is no debate, the e46 is better inside and out. The dash was still angled toward the driver in the e46, a unique feature which came to an end with the e90. Not surprising, since nothing about the e90 is really driver oriented, except for the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #30
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
There is no debate, the e46 is better inside and out. The dash was still angled toward the driver in the e46, a unique feature which came to an end with the e90. Not surprising, since nothing about the e90 is really driver oriented, except for the engine.
People exaggerate this to a ridiculous degree. Have you driven an E46? The minutely angled dash hardly makes it more driver oriented. The design of the dash makes it look that much more driver oriented, but I found it to be an illusion.

Now, "design" wise, as I said, the E9X is infinitely better than the unresolved lumpiness of the E46. The E46 is a product of its time, and looks more like function over form. Blobby shifter, dated steering wheel design, simplistic IP design, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #31
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Call me crazy, but my favorite American Interior is the 2010 GT500.

I'm glad you mentioned this.

I've been having a Mustang fever for the past few weeks. My car just crested past the 50,000 mile mark (wish me luck) and I decided to swing by the Ford dealership to check out a GT with the track pack.

I was impressed, but still disappointed. It's a great design; Sharp lines, lots of contrast and really spacious. However, the materials and fit/finish still aren't up to par (with, say, a 370Z). The storage bins felt cheap, the steering wheel's aluminum/plastic trim felt terrible and overly sculpted, there really wasn't anything in terms of driver orientation (no telescoping steering wheel, hard to read guages, distant dash), and most of the materials and fitment just annoyed me.

However, I don't care, because after having driven one, there's really nothing that beats the sound of that V8. I think I may trade my E92 in for one after about two years. I'm going to mod the hell out of one.

I want to hop aboard the Mustang train before I get too old.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #32
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
haha audis driver oriented... everything faces the driver

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #33
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if you thought I was directly comparing them. I was more just making a point of reference. I think both the e46 and e90 each have their perks and drawbacks. Although, I am quite sad that the window controls are no longer in the middle in the e90. Just a feature I have developed a fond liking for.
      10-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #34
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if you thought I was directly comparing them. I was more just making a point of reference. I think both the e46 and e90 each have their perks and drawbacks. Although, I am quite sad that the window controls are no longer in the middle in the e90. Just a feature I have developed a fond liking for.
Sorry, my post actually had nothing to do with you. There are still threads on Bimmerpost debating which is better.

I think it comes down to this.

E46:
+Feels cozier
+Feels better built
+Gives you the illusion that it's driver-oriented

E92:
+Resolved, crisper lines
+Airier feel
+Better steering wheel, shifter, seats, A/C, etc

I really don't know why they would make something worse after having seven years to improve for the next generation. I have no doubts that the F20, or whatever the next 3er will be codenamed, will have a better interior than the E9X series.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #35
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
haha audis driver oriented... everything faces the driver
Yeah, Audis are definitely driver-oriented. Much more so than the E46.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #36
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
"Call me crazy, but my favorite American Interior is the 2010 GT500."

Yes, you crazy.

Well, ok, you did cover yourself by saying "American interior", but boy, does that look like a cheap sea of plastic. The center console looks like it's from Detroit's darkest days.
      10-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #37
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
"Call me crazy, but my favorite American Interior is the 2010 GT500."

Yes, you crazy.

Well, ok, you did cover yourself by saying "American interior", but boy, does that look like a cheap sea of plastic. The center console looks like it's from Detroit's darkest days.
That's my least favorite part about the '10 interior. Everything else is pretty much fine, but the cheap plastic used in the center console is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #38
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Touch screens generally don't work well in automobiles. Reason being, because you have to totally divert your attention to use them. No sensory feedback.
which is why it's nice that it's BOTH touch screen AND dial controlled. thought I had made that clear. apologies.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #39
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Count 47 for this, including the window buttons moved to the arm rests on the doors. Counting every teeter button as 2, steering wheel buttons, and ignition and headlight controls. Not counting AC vent wheels.
e90 has 53 buttons, not including the vents or buttons on the surface of the steering wheel. but whatever.

I'm shocked to see that Benz listed has ~50 buttons just in the center console area!

point is, all of these cars have a ton of buttons. complaining about any of them without really trying them to see how they feel simply wreaks of bias. people invent ways to complain sometimes.
Appreciate 0