E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Lewis Hamilton on the new power delivery + Bernie E. on noise.

02-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #23
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I saw that they are reaching into the 1.36 at Bahrain which is promising but still ways to go to Rosberg's 1:32:3 lap last year ( recorded in Q3 ). At least it's in the right direction and they found some more downforce or just started to adapt to the new power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #24
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
I saw that they are reaching into the 1.36 at Bahrain which is promising but still ways to go to Rosberg's 1:32:3 lap last year ( recorded in Q3 ). At least it's in the right direction and they found some more downforce or just started to adapt to the new power delivery.
I don't think anyone believe that they are doing qualification runs yet. They are most likely still doing set up and learning their new cars and engines.

The commentators I have seen have all compared the lap times with last years race lap times and been surprised/impressed that we allready are seeing lap times better than last years best race lap.

Only time will tell how close they do get to last years qualy times. With less aero and less mechanical grip they should not be as fast as last year though.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #25
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Magnussen set a 1:34.910 today, only 2,6s off the P1 qualy time last year...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #26
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Kevin is showing a lot of promise - could be the man to watch if McLaren can cobble together a decent reliable car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #27
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh335i View Post
To all the guys talking about the sound of a v10 or v12 being the essence of F1... I can't help but disagree. Don't get me wrong, the noise from those engines are intoxicating, and perhaps more so special since we don't see a lot of high VE road cars. But F1 has always been about applying leading technologies to a competitive race class. I think those of you who are truly automobile enthusiasts will be able to appreciate the application of technology and execution of mechanics in the modern f1 cars. To me, the new f1 cars sound great, but perhaps that is because I expect them to sound like a "balls to the wall" turbocharged v6... not a v10 or anything else.
I'd have to respectfully disagree. There are several racing series world-wide that are applying leading technology, but F1 has always been different, and the biggest piece of that difference is sound. Nothing else came close. Now that's finished. I hate to agree on anything with Ecclestone, but on this, he's right.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #28
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh335i View Post
To all the guys talking about the sound of a v10 or v12 being the essence of F1... I can't help but disagree. Don't get me wrong, the noise from those engines are intoxicating, and perhaps more so special since we don't see a lot of high VE road cars. But F1 has always been about applying leading technologies to a competitive race class. I think those of you who are truly automobile enthusiasts will be able to appreciate the application of technology and execution of mechanics in the modern f1 cars. To me, the new f1 cars sound great, but perhaps that is because I expect them to sound like a "balls to the wall" turbocharged v6... not a v10 or anything else.
your balls to the wall V6 sound at IRL races mean no ear plugs. It's that quiet. I want to hear and feel these cars just like I did at Indy with the V10s a few times and COTA/Indy with the V8s.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #29
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Kevin is showing a lot of promise - could be the man to watch if McLaren can cobble together a decent reliable car.
He does indeed seem fast but I also hope that the trick rear suspension design to create favorable aero is helping. It would be great if McLaren have an advantage from the get go. They had a terrible season last year and have some formidable competition in terms of drivers in the other teams and RBRs Adrian Newey. An equalizer in better design from McLaren would make it more interesting as long as it's not too good...when it will either be shutdown or create another relative boring season. However I don't see that happening, there should be plenty of drama with overheating engines etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #30
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Actually think Button could be in for a very good season. The McLaren is looking strong so far. Button is notoriously easy on tires. With the big increase in torque this year, tire wear could be even more of an issue this year.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #31
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Actually think Button could be in for a very good season. The McLaren is looking strong so far. Button is notoriously easy on tires. With the big increase in torque this year, tire wear could be even more of an issue this year.
Good point, Button is a smooth operator and the new cars could fit him very well.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #32
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
I'd have to respectfully disagree. There are several racing series world-wide that are applying leading technology, but F1 has always been different, and the biggest piece of that difference is sound. Nothing else came close. Now that's finished. I hate to agree on anything with Ecclestone, but on this, he's right.
Although I agree on the sound being a big part of F1 (and I actually believe I will miss the V8 sound), don't forget that F1 has been small displacement turbo engines previously as well.

Back in the '80ies they had 1,5l I4 and V6 turbo engines. According to Autosport etc, no one complained about the sound those engines made. And before the turbo engines, F1 had Cosworth DFV and Ferrari V12's, so it's not like they weren't used to great sound previous to the turbo engines back then either.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #33
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
(and I actually believe I will miss the V8 sound),

r.
it just feels weird you saying that.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #34
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio
Quote:
(and I actually believe I will miss the V8 sound),

r.
it just feels weird you saying that.
Because the F1 V8 engines sound NOTHING like your beloved S65
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 01:38 AM   #35
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because the F1 V8 engines sound NOTHING like your beloved S65
well we have found a common ground that the old high revving V8 has a amazing sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:04 AM   #36
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
well we have found a common ground that the old high revving V8 has a amazing sound.

Yeah, and I'll even admit that the S65 sounds great as a well. Just that I personally prefer the straight six

Sometimes you just have to exxagerate your views a bit to make a point, which is what I have done with the S65 when comparing it to a Chevy van It obviously does NOT sound like a Chevy van Induction noise from the S65 is just awesome, and that will be gone in the S55
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #37
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Hamilton has done a 1m34.263s today, just 1,9s off last years P1 in qualy
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #38
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Williams have been doing pit stop practice...really! who is in charge there, the chuckle brothers? Fly a whole team out to do stuff they could do at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #39
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, and I'll even admit that the S65 sounds great as a well. Just that I personally prefer the straight six

Sometimes you just have to exxagerate your views a bit to make a point, which is what I have done with the S65 when comparing it to a Chevy van It obviously does NOT sound like a Chevy van Induction noise from the S65 is just awesome, and that will be gone in the S55
fair enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #40
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Williams have been doing pit stop practice...really! who is in charge there, the chuckle brothers? Fly a whole team out to do stuff they could do at the factory.
Please explain how they could do pit stop practice at the factory (apart from the obvious static car changing wheels routine that they do practice at the factory)?

They are not allowed any testing outside of the official tests, meaning the cars cannot be driven on any track. Even Ferrari with it's own track inside the factory is not allowed to drive their cars around there...

For the teams the only place they can do realistic pit stop practice (where the mechanics are waiting and the cars come driving into the pit) is at the tests and during P1, P2 and P3 during a race weekend. Which is why you see every team do pit stop practice during those sessions throughout the season.

And with a new driver in the team it's even more important to do live pit stops. Williams did 49 live pit stops today. EVERY team does this, so possibly all teams are run by the chuckle brothers...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #41
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

They can do pit stop practice at the factory with a rolling car no problem - you don't need the engine running to do that. Maybe they are happy to do less laps despite the $massive it cost to get the team out to do testing. Seems bonkers to me to waste the best part of a day.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #42
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I look forward to the possible "shaking things up" of the teams as they try to figure everything out, not sure about the rest but until I see actual qualifying and a race it's too early to say. Other seasons haven't been perfect and they will make modifications in the future if this one isn't.

Surprised at Bernie's reaction, once the decision is made and there's no turning back, everyone in the organization should put on a "happy" face or at least not go negative. The "total farce" comment isn't going to help anything at this point. I guess he's hoping for the "I told you so" but if F1 is hurt, so is he, even if he doesn't care.
      02-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #43
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

McLaren consistently quick again, on day three of testing. Lewis in the Mercedes pulling the quickest lap of the day.

Red Bull ends another test day early with mechanical troubles.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #44
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants
They can do pit stop practice at the factory with a rolling car no problem - you don't need the engine running to do that. Maybe they are happy to do less laps despite the $massive it cost to get the team out to do testing. Seems bonkers to me to waste the best part of a day.
If it was that easy don't you think that's the only Pit stop practice they would do?

There is a big difference between a car being pushed at a slow speed to the pit area and one coming in at 80km/h... And the driver also needs to adapt to his pit crew and learn how the car stops and how much braking distance he needs etc. If you want to do a pit stop in less than 3s every little detail counts...
Appreciate 0