E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I'm quitting smoking.

12-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #45
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Just be with someone for a week or so who won't let you do anything. Or stay at home where you know there are no sigs
      12-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #46
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
God damnit Vince, now I'm even more worried about Chantix.

Thank you everyone for all of your inputs, I'm down to a couple a day I'm proud of because I know I'm not killing my body near as much.
seriously don't be afraid of it...crazy dreams would be the worst...the people that you are hearing the horror stories from are crazy to begin with...

best of luck...i can only imagine how hard it actually is...

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #47
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

I quit.. It's been at least 7yrs since I bought a pack.. Just quit.. Put them down and don't pick them up again.. Sound easy right?

You need to choose to be stronger than the cigs. So either you put them down, or you're simply a pussy.. At least putting it in that perspective worked for me, I wasn't about to let anyone or anything own me - I challenged myself to do it and I don't like to loose.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #48
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

And, if you want to try pills, skip the Chantix and get a wellbutrin script. None of the serious side effects with Chantix, it just takes a little longer. Take it for 60 days and then quit, continue taking it for another 90 days. You won't have any cravings or problems sleeping you're having now.. You'll likely also find during the first 60 days you'll skip smoking a couple of days and not even realize you didn't have one in 24hrs.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #49
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

i know it sounds like a waste of money—and it really is—but if you end up tempting yourself into buying another pack just break the fuckers after you have one. keep doing it, you'll waste so much money that you'll stop yourself eventually. idiotsguidetoquittingftw
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #50
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

ask jh. oh wait... he fucking left
      12-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #51
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
I've heard too many horror stories on Chantix, won't be going that way. At the moment I don't have any urge to smoke, and only do it to calm nerves to sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
Oh yea...those are interesting sometimes Nothing like you're gonna go axe someone while sleep walking or anything, nor we're they so bad that it caused me psychological duress. But like I said, if you're serious about quitting, no pain no gain. I've literally tried every method of quitting previously...patches, gum, ecig, which is the worst way to try to quit, wellbutrin, cold turkey, hypnosis, candy...you name it, I tried. Nothing worked like chantix.
its not that bad, kinda like living in Inception.

Here is a hilarious thread on Chantix.

And i feel for you, I quit in October after smoking for 12 years. haven't relapsed, but I'd be lying to you if I told you that a day didn't pass without me thinking of lighting up. Quit cold turkey too. Good luck brah.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #52
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

As some of you know, I enjoy going out-- a lot. I went out last night and was a failure, but I have only had one today. So, I'm basically a social smoker at the moment. Deciding what I want to do for the final step.
      12-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #53
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

eehhh fuck this thread

Last edited by radix; 12-30-2011 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #54
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Not trying to rub anything in anyone's face or anything here, but I must be very lucky with my personality or something, as I've always been able to treat smoking as an occasional thing, like many people smoke cigars for example. There have been days, weeks, months, even years where I simply didn't want a cig. There are days where I want one, and I'm good. Other days I want 5, and may then go a week or two with nothing.

Kinda weird I guess, but anyway, my thoughts about instances where I will have a cig are very situational. I got in the habit of smoking while drinking in college, now when I'm out and drinking and someone offers, I'll usually accept.

However, the main situation with me is something I would do in college while studying, I would "reward" myself every few hours in the library with a mental/smoke break. Now when I'm working late or something, I'll do the same thing. I'm not trying to quit really, as while it's certainly not healthy, a pack will last me nearly a month at times.

So I would identify the situations you are in when you crave it the most. If its partying, cut back on that. Lots of people like to smoke while driving (I personally can't do it) so if you do, put your cigs in the trunk or something. Make it inconvenient for yourself and maybe at first you'll still inconvenience yourself and have a smoke, but eventually you'll go "not worth it right now" and these situations will eventually no longer inspire you to light up.

A friend used to carry around a pack of cigs with him, but no lighter. He took the car one out, and didn't buy any. Anytime someone asked to bum one he would oblige with 2. He eventually stopped buying them altogether and quit because he forced it to be inconvenient and overly expensive on himself by giving them away.

Just a few thoughts, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #55
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
As some of you know, I enjoy going out-- a lot. I went out last night and was a failure, but I have only had one today. So, I'm basically a social smoker at the moment. Deciding what I want to do for the final step.
Well if you really want to quit then you need to not go out for a bit because you are being tempted.

But doing 1 cig is already a big improvement so good job !! You can do it!!!
      12-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #56
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
start chewing straws and pens and shit
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #57
Boben5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 328 coupe

1.Keep two cigarettes out of your pack and immediatly throw all packs away. Keep ash tray for a little longer.

2.Buy a bag of tootsie-roll pops from store.

At the beginning when the urge is so strong, light one cigerette and take a couple puffs then immediately put out. Go as long as you can then if needed take a puff of the remaining two cigs you have left.

Now once those last two are gone you have to quit cold turkey.

3. Thats when the tootsie roll pops are there to suck on because you are always reaching for the white sticks like you are when smoking. Suck on it like your sucking pussy.

This can work if you quit cold turkey. Good luck
      12-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #58
Boben5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 328 coupe

Oh yea immediatly after you quit cold turkey and refrain from smoking, go hit-up a treadmill and sweat all the toxins out of your body. This helps the nicotine to get out also.

p.s. the patches and crap dont work, the key is to get the nicotine out of your system
      12-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #59
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Not trying to rub anything in anyone's face or anything here, but I must be very lucky with my personality or something, as I've always been able to treat smoking as an occasional thing, like many people smoke cigars for example. There have been days, weeks, months, even years where I simply didn't want a cig. There are days where I want one, and I'm good. Other days I want 5, and may then go a week or two with nothing.

Kinda weird I guess, but anyway, my thoughts about instances where I will have a cig are very situational. I got in the habit of smoking while drinking in college, now when I'm out and drinking and someone offers, I'll usually accept.

However, the main situation with me is something I would do in college while studying, I would "reward" myself every few hours in the library with a mental/smoke break. Now when I'm working late or something, I'll do the same thing. I'm not trying to quit really, as while it's certainly not healthy, a pack will last me nearly a month at times.

So I would identify the situations you are in when you crave it the most. If its partying, cut back on that. Lots of people like to smoke while driving (I personally can't do it) so if you do, put your cigs in the trunk or something. Make it inconvenient for yourself and maybe at first you'll still inconvenience yourself and have a smoke, but eventually you'll go "not worth it right now" and these situations will eventually no longer inspire you to light up.

A friend used to carry around a pack of cigs with him, but no lighter. He took the car one out, and didn't buy any. Anytime someone asked to bum one he would oblige with 2. He eventually stopped buying them altogether and quit because he forced it to be inconvenient and overly expensive on himself by giving them away.

Just a few thoughts, good luck.
^like these ideas.

I know its not the same, but when i quit smoking bud i had wild vivid dreams every night for around 6 months...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #60
FlashBimmer9er
2009 Alpine White/Coral Red leather 128i
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/Coral Red leather 2009 128i

Collin ever thought of the electronic cigs? I just saw one that my friend has and I don't really smoke but it seemed like something worthwhile for someone who does. I might get one for the flavors and as its better than smoking randomly at times. Check Em' out, it's called Blu Cigs. And you can get the flavor you want and the strength of nicotine in the cartridge. It's worth a look
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #61
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
oh i forgot a funny thing about quitting. I've managed to find about 25 lighters around the house and about 8 packs ranging from full to quarter way of cigs ALL OVER THE FUCKING HOUSE.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0