E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Car cams and A-holes

08-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Car cams and A-holes

So I was driving along on a street with parking meters on both sides, some cars doubled park on one side, coming up to a yield sign to merge/enter the main street.
When I'm about to get to the line, the car that was stopped on one side waiting for a space decides to nudge ahead of me.. so I give him a honk, he gets to the line, it's clear with no cars .. and he still takes forever to move ahead.
I'm thinking he's being an A-hole.. so I try to cut him back off, he responds agressively showing he is aware of my intention - which must mean retroactive that he is deliberately trying to piss me off.
So later on down the road I manage to cut in front of him - Can't let him win, can we?
I'm maneuvering so he can't get ahead, driving really slow to pay him back.. then I notice he has a car cam on his windscreen!
Good thing I didn't do anything illegal.
This got me thinking - do people with bad driving attitudes/manner get car video recorders? - Because they are always paranoid about people paying them back for their unsociable behaviour?
I have never felt the need to get one .. am I just lucky, or do I drive well so bad, random sh*t doesn't happen to me?
Your thoughts, gents..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I've personally never seen anyone with a car cam. I would intentionally leave them alone, because they will likely end up smashing into my shitty BMW causing me to be upset.

I don't want to be upset.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I got a dash cam just because people can't drive around here and it's cheap insurance if somebody does something stupid to me, just to prove that I was in the right...I don't think somebody with a bad attitude or road rage wants to document their stupid behavior...wouldn't help them out in my mind.
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Living in a state with the worst drivers ever (Texas) I always have my GoPro rolling when I'm on a bike ride. It's just the smart thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

I have them in my car for the reasons stated above. I like to have cheap insurance when somebody does something stupid and there isn't anybody around. A buddy of mine was able to prove insurance fraud when somebody swooped (cut in front and then lock them up) him and then claimed how bad their neck hurt after that.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
MYovichZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post

This got me thinking - do people with bad driving attitudes/manner get car video recorders? - Because they are always paranoid about people paying them back for their unsociable behaviour?
I think it's just to try and be the next YouTube viral video sensation.
SocialMedia FTL

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster / Silver Grey
BMW CCA 492691
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the comments - looks like it was just one bad driver who happened to have a dash cam.. now recalling back through all my road rage experiences this is the first time I noticed one. Oops
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

I am planning to buy a car cam.
I keep hearing from people and newspaper that other state troopers loves to pull CO license plate vehicles for some non-sense issues and search for marijuana.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

First off OP, you were being as much of an A-hole as the other driver. Had you caused an accident with your "payback" he would have video of your behavior and you would be SOL. He would not have to show his behavior on the video.

Having said that I have a dash cam in my car. I am not an A-hole (as you put it). Like the other posters I have it as cheap insurance in case someone does something stupid and tries to blame me for it. It is an impartial observer that cannot lie.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #10
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

Car cams have their place and time, but as a defense mechanism (to bad cops, other people on the road stepping up to you, or to prove innocence/fault), not as an offensive mechanism where you try to shame someone. I hate watching videos where someone is just trying to show that another driver is driving aggressively. They are hardly educational, informative, nor do they generally have much entertainment value. The entertaining car videos are the car chases, accidents and ones where the other driver can't properly park their car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
First off OP, you were being as much of an A-hole as the other driver. Had you caused an accident with your "payback" he would have video of your behavior and you would be SOL. He would not have to show his behavior on the video.

Having said that I have a dash cam in my car. I am not an A-hole (as you put it). Like the other posters I have it as cheap insurance in case someone does something stupid and tries to blame me for it. It is an impartial observer that cannot lie.
No, I would say I'm less of an asshole than you.
If there are alot of "stupid drivers" around you.. maybe it's not them.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
not as an offensive mechanism where you try to shame someone. I hate watching videos where someone is just trying to show that another driver is driving aggressively.
This. I object to people increasing the chances of an accident to playing cop/judge judy.. but whatever floats their boat
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:

So later on down the road I manage to cut in front of him - Can't let him win, can we?
I'm maneuvering so he can't get ahead, driving really slow to pay him back.. ...
Quote:
No, I would say I'm less of an asshole than you.
If there are alot of "stupid drivers" around you.. maybe it's not them.
Oh really? You admitted to intentionally cutting in front of this guy and slowing down to "pay him back" and you imply I am more of an A-hole and an aggressive driver? Perhaps you should examine your own behavior on the road before you start accusing those you do not know of doing wrong.

And if you don't like the idea of people putting up videos of how you drive, perhaps you shouldn't be acting like that on the road. As i said, the camera is an impartial witness. It does not have an opinion, it just shows the true facts of what occurred. If those facts make you nervous then your behavior should be re-examined.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh really? You admitted to intentionally cutting in front of this guy and slowing down to "pay him back" and you imply I am more of an A-hole and an aggressive driver? Perhaps you should examine your own behavior on the road before you start accusing those you do not know of doing wrong.

And if you don't like the idea of people putting up videos of how you drive, perhaps you shouldn't be acting like that on the road. As i said, the camera is an impartial witness. It does not have an opinion, it just shows the true facts of what occurred. If those facts make you nervous then your behavior should be re-examined.
If you're judgment is that I am as bad as the person who started it, then yes you are an even bigger A-hole.. just deductive logic
Unless a rule was broken, nothing is going to happen because a look at the bigger picture shows what's really going on.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #15
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Quote:

Agree with this guy's 1st paragraph.

You were lucky you didn't do anything stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeee View Post
Agree with this guy's 1st paragraph.

You were lucky you didn't do anything stupid.
No no you should be THANKING me otherwise A-holes like that will be constantly provoking other drivers FOR NO REASON.
If you cut me off deliberately, why can't a overtly do the same to you?
If you let it slide, the A-hole wins.

Oh I don't do anything stupid, if anyone does, it will be the other guy... my life/car is way more valuable, apparently his isn't because he goes around instigating.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #17
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Typical Hong Kong driver apparently. OP is a road rager who hates other road ragers.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Typical Hong Kong driver apparently. OP is a road rager who hates other road ragers.
Welcome, I hate you too.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

grimlock,

Have to say that when I read the original, you painted yourself as the "stereotypical BMW a-hole" with the actions you took. 2 wrongs don't make you right.

Peace out.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
grimlock,

Have to say that when I read the original, you painted yourself as the "stereotypical BMW a-hole" with the actions you took. 2 wrongs don't make you right.

Peace out.
UncleWede,

Thank you for your opinion.
I do put myself under harsh light, which is why I also expect others around me to accord me the same respect I do them. But apparently they don't, so I fly into a rage.
Solution: stop treating people so well, they can/will never do that same to you..
I think I get it now. It's ok to be a little bit of an A-hole.. but not okay to point it out in others..
So I gotta drive really badly.. cuz payback is a no-no
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #21
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

But, like I said. I feel like I drive well, so that is why I don't get into accidents, and fingers crossed, nothing bad randomly will happen to me.

Perhaps those who are so concerned about how other people drive need to learn to drive themselves.

I'm done too.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #22
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's an argument I have almost every time the wife is in the car with me. "Why do you yell at us, they can't hear you?" "Because if I don't call them on it, they will continue to be a-hole drivers and they need to learn it isn't OK" (I am not necessarily directing this at you)

I fully support your idea of showing the original a-hole just what he is. It was the way you did it that rubbed me a bit wrong.

i.e. if I'm driving my beater truck and some a-h parks in 2-3 spots because he thinks he deserves to with his fancy car, I park (legally) just barely on my side of the next parking stall.

In that driving picture in one of the other threads where I said I merge-block I pull up to where I should naturally merge, then match the speed of the cars to leave my merge spot open, but block anyone from trying to pass me and the rest of us who have been patiently waiting to get to our destinations.

Just this morning there was a long line of cars waiting at the red light. I glance in my mirror and see a truck cruising up in the right lane with his left turn signal going, looking for a spot to hop the line. He knows exactly that the rest of us all have to get to work as well. The red is just on the other side of the train tracks so he dives in between the two cars on each side of the tracks.
Now, I caught up to him down the road, and slowly passed shaking my head as he glanced over. He knew that I knew that he is a dick. But I refrained from hopping into his lane and slowing him down, swerving into his lane, or anything a-holish and reckless like that.
Appreciate 0