E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > tatoo suggestions

09-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
Dani
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I Graphite

tatoo suggestions

Spool started a thread asking what people think of tatoos and wanted opinions on the one he might get. I thought I'd start my own to get advice too.

I want a tatoo, I might get one for my birthday if I come up with something in time. I want something small, don't know where yet, and it can't be just like what everyone else gets. NOP TRAMP STAMP.

if anyone has any ideas or suggestions of what to get or where to put it let me know. Some of you know enough about me that you may be able to think of something that would be good for me personally but any ideas are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It's gotta fall into one of these categories:

Something very meaningful to you

Something you won't ever forget

Something you want to FORCE YOURSELF to never forget

Aside from that, I don't know enough about you to suggest what to get.

Instead, I'll say the things I might get, and why, and you can glean what you may.

I'm a musician, and it's a very large part of my life. I want a music, preferrably guitar, related tat. Something interesting... I was thinking about getting the fretboard of a guitar wrapping around my upper arm, with music notes on it.. the notes can be a real song or not, that just increases the meaning for me.

I also want to get key elements of my family history, in various places. Things like family crests, or special emblems of some of my various bloodlines.

All of my closest friends and I are going down together to get the same tattoo (different, but of the same theme). It will make sure I don't ever forget these are my friends, even if stupid drama takes place.

Help?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
Dani
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
It's gotta fall into one of these categories:

Something very meaningful to you

Something you won't ever forget

Something you want to FORCE YOURSELF to never forget

Aside from that, I don't know enough about you to suggest what to get.

Instead, I'll say the things I might get, and why, and you can glean what you may.

I'm a musician, and it's a very large part of my life. I want a music, preferrably guitar, related tat. Something interesting... I was thinking about getting the fretboard of a guitar wrapping around my upper arm, with music notes on it.. the notes can be a real song or not, that just increases the meaning for me.

I also want to get key elements of my family history, in various places. Things like family crests, or special emblems of some of my various bloodlines.

All of my closest friends and I are going down together to get the same tattoo (different, but of the same theme). It will make sure I don't ever forget these are my friends, even if stupid drama takes place.

Help?
my job is coaching figure skating and I competed my whole life and everyone says I should get something related to that but I want something a little more abstract. I had actually thought of getting something like the Chinese symbol for figure skating (actually I beleive it is four symbols long) but people think those are overdone.
Family history, I'm a bit of a mutt and there is no one thing that would be significant enough to work.
I've been through a lot of stress this year as well as going through somewhat of an age crisis. Something that just symbolizes my life moving forward or something representing tranquility.

so those are my thoughts based on your ideas.

how about where to get it? something that I can hide if I want, or show if I want.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I like the idea of an abstraction of your career, but only if it's what's important to you, not others.

Also, I'm not a fan of getting the chinese characters unless that has some special significance to you.

As far as family, I'm a complete mutt, but instead of letting that stop me, it's spurred me to get more. I want to get symbols/images representing all of the most amazing things in my bloodlines.

If you think about it REALLY selfishly, the entire life purpose of everyone of your ancestors was to make YOU. They went through hell to survive and thrive, and eventually generate YOU. So, since they did that for me, I'd like to commemorate some of their more amazing lives.

For instance, some of my ancestors are the Macrae clan, of Scotland. I want to get this tattoo, somewhere on my body.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
As far as location goes, that depends how you like to dress on a daily basis, but generally if it's within the boundaries of shorts and a short sleeve shirt, you can hide it without trouble.

I'm also native american, so I might get something written on me in the Cherokee alphabet... and so on and so forth for all of my ancestry that means anything to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
im getting a tatoo right above my ass crack, and its going to have an arrow pointing down, saying: No Entry

im seriously doing it. going to get it next year lol
      09-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
Dani
Major
United_States
Rep

my career is important to me and is a big part of my life so if I could think of a good abstraction of it that would be good. I only want one tattoo so as far as family and history goes I would have to do many to do it justice.

and somewhere within the boundaries of a short sleeve shirt and shorts is a given and I have a couple ideas but I wanted to hear other peoples thoughts on an exact location too
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
What about this....

You could get a very simplistic line drawing of a skater in a spin, at full extension (vertically)...

I mean SUPER simplistic... like, less than an outline. example, the Infinity commercials, where they just trace the top edge of the car, then fade the car out... that line, that vaguely looks like a car, but enough to be recognizable? like that.

That would look very nice on a shoulderblade, I think.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #9
Dani
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
What about this....

You could get a very simplistic line drawing of a skater in a spin, at full extension (vertically)...

I mean SUPER simplistic... like, less than an outline. example, the Infinity commercials, where they just trace the top edge of the car, then fade the car out... that line, that vaguely looks like a car, but enough to be recognizable? like that.

That would look very nice on a shoulderblade, I think.
I do like the idea of a simple outline of a skater. the problem is I dont want anything that is published anywhere else or that anyone else has so I would need an artist to do something exclusively for me so it is one of a kind.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #10
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
That's not hard, just go to a reputable tattoo shop and describe what you want, they will sketch it out...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #11
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]

That's what you get for asking strangers online what you should have permanently put on your body.

Like Matt said, a tattoo should be something meaningful to you, and something you give serious thought to. Don't get one just to get one. The world doesn't need another person with a stupid tattoo.

If you do decide to get one, keep in mind how it'll look over time. Girls, don't get your abs done. Guys, if you get your abs done, don't get fat. If you spend a ton of time out baking in the sun... it's going to fade your tattoo.

Don't just go into any tattoo shop. Talk with people who have good tattoos (after seeing a few, you'll begin to tell good from bad) and see where they had theirs done. If you go into a shop and the artist is rushing you, leave. Again, this is PERMANENT. The artist should sit down with you and discuss what you're looking to have done.
      09-12-2007, 02:55 AM   #12
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
a dragon.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 05:17 AM   #13
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i|E92

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
Something regarding your Heritage....

GL
      09-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #14
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
since you asked, my advice is dont get one.
i have 4. they'll mean something to you for a few years, then wont mean anything after that.
      09-12-2007, 08:24 AM   #15
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I would get either "dude" or "sweet", or both.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

I would suggest thinking about it for a few weeks and then forget about it. A couple months later think about it again. If you still like the idea of getting a tattoo. Then sit for about a year to really think about exactly what you want done. Over the period of a year you'll discover that the subject matter may change or becomes altered than what you were originally thinking. After that just go for it.

I'm halfway through with my tattoos.

This is a composite shot of my arm. It wrapped around my upper arm.

My other tattoo will cover the same amount of area on my other arm. It will be of a farmer in the rice fields carrying water buckets over his shoulders.

This is where I got my tat done. You should check out their tattoo galleries to see what out there. The owner Brandon Bond just recently came back from filming an episode at LA Ink.

http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/
      09-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #17
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Took me a while to get my one and only for all the reasons you have. It is small on my left upper chest so I am not sure if that helps you, but it is in a discreet location for me. As far as what I have, it is a symbol of much of what I enjoy and admire in life.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #18
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Hahaha this thread is going to be 20 pages by day's end, and likely it'll veer off topic...

anyways...

For me, personally, i like a lady with small tattoos, and that's not too revealing when she wears clothes...i think you should get something on your lower hip, something that barely sticks out when you're wearing ur bikini. makes people wonder, and to me it's sexy as hell...my ex had 3 stars starting from her lower hip onto her ribcage, small to med to big. each of those stars symbolizes a sibling she has.

just what ever u get, make sure it's meaningful, think long and hard for it...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #19
yomash
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKids View Post
since you asked, my advice is dont get one.
i have 4. they'll mean something to you for a few years, then wont mean anything after that.
+1

true

2012 e70 X5 xDrive35i M package Carbon Black
pervious: 2011 X3 28i | 2007 e92 335i coupe | 2008 e90 328xi Sedan | 2002 e46 M3 coupe | 2003 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #20
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If your B-day is less than a month away, forget it for THIS year. I looked at the picture I wanted for well over a year, and made sure I wasn't over-reacting to my pending divorce. I'd been thinking about the image before the break-up occurred.

Then it got to be that I started to investigate artists in my area, finding one I thought I could trust, and who's previous work I had seen both in pictures and in the flesh. That's very important! Lots of people can draw great pictures, but you want to see great pictures actually on the canvas of flesh. Look more at people who match your skin tones too.

I got the Lakota Cirlce of Life on my upper shoulder. The colors were great for a few years, but I love the sun too much for it to stay bright. I've lost touch with the original artist, and I doubt I would let someone else work on another's painting to touch it up. I liked the image so much, it's also the main item on my custom bike's dash. I'm sticking close to the bike painter so he can maintain it

Now if I could just figure out the right size/script to get my son's initials over my heart . . . fur is a problem though.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #21
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ladies Wild

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
right aboue you ur ass crack...and put "Insert here"
      09-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #22
007e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645Ci

Garage List
2004 BMW 645  [0.00]
you should get two hand prints on your booty then have it say "grab here" above them

Retired Rides:
07' e92
04' e46
Appreciate 0