E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Is it me or does anyone else have zero interest in the I8

09-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #89
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
A reminder that this thread was started to discuss the i8.

How unfortunate that EVERYTHING has to be politicized in this day and age. What a shame.
Yeah it's why I suggested that the thread just be moved. You could tell from OP's posts that he was pushing a political slant with his whole little rant and like most political rants, everything turned to shit.

For reasons beyond me, politics and facts never seem to go hand in hand.

...I still think the i8 is a cool car for all the tech and design features it has.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #90
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
+1 for taking this to off topic/politics, but in the meantime...
...as I posted #77.

As for the i8, I like the design but its performance and technology are not worth the price.
      09-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #91
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

...I still think the i8 is a cool car for all the tech and design features it has.
Me too. I don't envision ever being in a position to spend $150K on a car, but if I were and I were going to do it at BMW, I would choose an i8 over an M6 in a heartbeat. I'm still stunned at current M6 pricing.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #92
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
More hyperbolic prattle, and selective prattle at that. Let's consider a few facts:

1. Average gas price was at or over US$3/gal in '07 and hit US$4/gal in '08, before Obama was elected.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Lea...TE_NUS_DPG&f=W

2. Crude oil production from US federal lands actually increased marginally in FY 2013, and remains marginally higher than during the Bush administration. Longer term, federal lands onshore crude production actually increased by 33% from FY 2003 to FY 2013. Overall, (incl. offshore), federal crude production is down about 11% since 2003, but that reduction occurred between '04 and '06, and remained relatively steady during the W years.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...76180860,d.aWw

3. Obama opened up new offshore oil drilling lands in 2010, breaking an explicit campaign promise to the contrary. This despite Exxon and BP taking a dump on our collective front lawn.

4. You haven't mentioned panic buying and hoarding in Asia and Europe.

5. You haven't mentioned the speculation by commodities futures traders, betting on Middle East unrest to affect supplies and inventories, thereby creating a price bubble.

6. You haven't mentioned both the regular (seasonal) and unplanned (hurricanes) closure of refining capacity affecting supply of gasoline, as opposed to the supply of crude.

Your theory about Obama's responsibility for high gas prices is easily refuted. Now you've deflected by reference to market forces that no US President can readily affect, nor would any free market proponent wish. [/fishinabarrel].
1 averge price per gallon on 1/20/2009 was $1.90 a gallon trending down from speculator created bubble and it was trending down.
2 increase in federal land production was from using more expensive techniques to extract oil which became economically feasible due to higher prices caused by feds. Offshore similar. No new drilling permits offshore were issued for years when it should take months. Many offshore drilling rigs left and went to the north sea as a result. It will take years to recover from this.
3. He started the permitting process in 2010 but made the process take so long it hasn't happened.
4.panicked buying doesn't last 6 years and there is now a glut of excess oil worldwide
5. Speculators haven't controlled the price in oil due to the excess in years
6 hurricanes etc don't last 6 years. I seem to remember a few pretty Obama hurricanes, Katrina, Charlie, etc that happened prior to 2009 and they didn't affect prices.

And the glut isn't lowering prices because the higher cost to replace that oil is still present.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles

Last edited by Fundguy1; 09-26-2014 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #93
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I agree this has devolved into a global warming bs argument with the two camps espousing their views and not about the car. The car is granted technology advanced. However I feel the sole choice of a hybrid power plant gives it limited marketability and is a mistake. Comparing it as an alternative to super cars is poor because the price point and performance don't match. It's a car that stands alone and I think will be a sales flop similar to the 850 for bmw.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #94
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
The car is granted technology advanced. However I feel the sole choice of a hybrid power plant gives it limited marketability and is a mistake. Comparing it as an alternative to super cars is poor because the price point and performance don't match. It's a car that stands alone and I think will be a sales flop similar to the 850 for bmw.
On this we fully agree, to the extent anyone is trying to make that comparo.

The discussion about the causes of oil and gas price fluctuations is tangentially relevant to this thread. Citing the average price of gas on a single day is unhelpful to understanding those causes.

The partisan attribution of cause/blame to a politician belongs in off topic/politics, where I'm happy to continue the discussion if you wish. As always, please cite your sources.
      09-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #95
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
lmao. oh yeah, oil is expensive because obama is part of a conspiracy to make people trade in their pickups for priuses. i'd love to have some of what you smoke.

and global warming is science. if you aren't convinced, you need to show evidence to the contrary. it isn't sufficient just to say you don't believe it and it's all made up by "greenies".

BTW the i8 is actually an amazing piece of technology and engineering. even if you don't believe in global warming, oil supplies are still limited. sooner or later we need to find alternative energy sources. That's where cars like the i8 come in. they serve as testing platforms for new technology.
There is a UVA climatologist named Patrick Michaels. Go read his books. Get a POV from the other side. Michaels has shown evidence to the contrary. He did studies of 10,000 year old decayed plant life extracted from lake beds that show the C02 levels in atmosphere were 3-times the levels they are today and the mean temperature of the earth was near what it is today. Ever given thought that a great job to have is saying the sky is falling (but won't happen for another 100,000 years) so listen to me on how to fix it now (hey I'll be long gone before I'm proven wrong). Oh and just for good measure throw in the fact that the sun really controls the Earth's temperature, along with the Earth's natural permutation of its axis, and rotation around the sun, so that will just hide the fact that really anthropogenic global warming is causing climate change that will kill us all. LOL. Yeah, it's the "Greenies". We humans are so more powerful than a star and celestial mechanics.

But we must "save the children."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-27-2014 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #96
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
no wonder americans are the laughing stock of the rest of the world.
Were a laughing stock because we have a President who thinks a pipeline to transport Canadian oil through the USA is an environmental hazard. While the same oil is currently transported by train and motor freight. That's what is funny.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #97
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On this we fully agree, to the extent anyone is trying to make that comparo.

The discussion about the causes of oil and gas price fluctuations is tangentially relevant to this thread. Citing the average price of gas on a single day is unhelpful to understanding those causes.

The partisan attribution of cause/blame to a politician belongs in off topic/politics, where I'm happy to continue the discussion if you wish. As always, please cite your sources.
Citing the yearly/decade/century increase/decrease in surface temperatures is unhelpful to understanding global warming/climate change...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #98
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Global warming 3 years ago was the cause of all hurricanes on the East Coast so no hurricanes for the last 2 years so what happened?
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #99
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Global warming 3 years ago was the cause of all hurricanes on the East Coast so no hurricanes for the last 2 years so what happened?
The sun farted.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #100
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The sun farted.
Happens lol.

Motor week just featured the I8. They got 0-60 in 4.4 and the quarter in 12.9. Not exactly supercar performance. They compared it to a performance Chevy volt. They also got 33.5 mpg but said they weren't able to plug charge it an if you were you'd get double that. Finally they said it was hard to get into and out of. Yawn. I'll stick to an M6. Oh and I visited the stealer yesterday. They said their allotment was 1 and a pediatric dentist bought it. Figures. The service guys also said they "didn't like it" and they preferred the M5/6 with their favorite the M5 two generations back.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #101
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Happens lol.

Motor week just featured the I8. They got 0-60 in 4.4 and the quarter in 12.9. Not exactly supercar performance. They compared it to a performance Chevy volt. They also got 33.5 mpg but said they weren't able to plug charge it an if you were you'd get double that. Finally they said it was hard to get into and out of. Yawn. I'll stick to an M6. Oh and I visited the stealer yesterday. They said their allotment was 1 and a pediatric dentist bought it. Figures. The service guys also said they "didn't like it" and they preferred the M5/6 with their favorite the M5 two generations back.
Like I said earlier, I'd get a Corvette, and maybe a boat for the weekends and still have 30K left over for gasoline for both, for 10 years. Oh, that's right, we'll not have any gasoline in a few years (well that's what I got told in grade school in the '70s).

I wonder if anyone besides me realizes that as long as we have jet travel we're going to have gasoline. The infrastructure that produces jet fuel also produces gasoline. So even when oil (may) goes away, there will be some form of synthetic fuel with comparable energy density of petroleum-based fuel. I don't think jet travel is going away anytime soon. I mean how else would the enviro-protestor mob get from place to place and leave trash all over the protest routes.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #102
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Like I said earlier, I'd get a Corvette, and maybe a boat for the weekends and still have 30K left over for gasoline for both, for 10 years. Oh, that's right, we'll not have any gasoline in a few years (well that's what I got told in grade school in the '70s).

I wonder if anyone besides me realizes that as long as we have jet travel we're going to have gasoline. The infrastructure that produces jet fuel also produces gasoline. So even when oil (may) goes away, there will be some form of synthetic fuel with comparable energy density of petroleum-based fuel. I don't think jet travel is going away anytime soon. I mean how else would the enviro-protestor mob get from place to place and leave trash all over the protest routes.
Unless your the government going green and changing to $800 a gallon for bio jet fuel for your fighters like they did a year or two ago instead of using the $5 a gallon stuff like the airlines do.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #103
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unless your the government going green and changing to $800 a gallon for bio jet fuel for your fighters like they did a year or two ago instead of using the $5 a gallon stuff like the airlines do.
Shush, they might get mad at us...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:50 AM   #104
johncieera
Rep
Drives: The Audi A4

For me i think i8 has a concept styling, impressive running costs and good performance.I would say it's better than Porsche 911 Carrer
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #105
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Happens lol.

I was visiting family down in Richmond, VA and they had an i8 sitting in the showroom. It was ordered by a guy in town a year ago and the dealership asked if they could keep it for a week in the showroom and he agreed to let them. I believe his other car is an SLS Mercedes.

As for being a sales flop, I don't think it will be. As far as I know, it's just meant to be a limited production vehicle. If I had the means to get one, I would but that's just me. I wouldn't get one because it's "good for the environment" which it isn't. I'd get one because I, personally, LOVE the way they look but at $147k (which was the sticker price of that particular model in the showroom), it's a bit too expensive for the performance you're getting so on that I agree with you. The interior was a bit of a let down as it's your standard BMW fare and didn't have the evolutionary look of the exterior. As for it being difficult to get in and out of, most cars of that nature are.

I'd prefer an i8 over an M5/M6 though, but that's because I don't like the bloated styling of the M5 and M6.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #106
Kapitein Iglo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31

In this part of the world, the series are told to be picking up.
I've seen a fair amount of i3's in the streets, quite interesting given the fact it has been on sale for just a few months now over here.

When I was at my local dealership two weeks ago, I curiously asked how sales of the i series were going.
They sold 5 i8's before it officially launched and interest is still high.
The i3 is going like crazy. They already sold several dozens of them and waiting lists are quickly building up.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #107
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitein Iglo View Post
In this part of the world, the series are told to be picking up.
I've seen a fair amount of i3's in the streets, quite interesting given the fact it has been on sale for just a few months now over here.

When I was at my local dealership two weeks ago, I curiously asked how sales of the i series were going.
They sold 5 i8's before it officially launched and interest is still high.
The i3 is going like crazy. They already sold several dozens of them and waiting lists are quickly building up.
I've seen a couple i3's in dealer showrooms but only one out in the wild. I don't see them doing very well in the States.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #108
Aapparition90
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 lci m3 mw

Garage List
2014 bmw 328i  [0.00]
2012 bmw 328i  [0.00]
i8 with the ttv8 from m5 or the v8 from m3 gts coupled with the electric motor, would take it even without the electric motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #109
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I drive 50,000 miles a year. I have seen two I3. Both at the dealer sitting on the lot for months. I have not seen one on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #110
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
I thinks it's the slowest car by far in its price range and BMW has a long way to go.

If that car was $40,000 - $50,000 they'd be on to something.
Appreciate 0