E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > 2023 College Football Thread

12-01-2023, 08:26 PM   #133
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Yup, this season has been quite entertaining. Friday night and Saturday will be fun. Setting up for debacle for the selection committee.

SEC champ winner will get in.
Pac12 champ will get in.
Mich basically locked their spot, with a win in true Big10 champ game(OSU/M).

That 4th spot is up for grabs. I think committee feels obligated to give FSU 4th spot if they win ACC champ game. If FSU loses, Texas will get in with a Big12 champ win.

Bama wins SEC champ and then we have real chaos.
I don't know about FSU w/o Travis. If they survive Louisville they will get in but I don't think they have a chance against the top 3.
I would really like to see Georgia - Washington in the first round. I really like Deboer's team. Not counting Alabama out but just sayin'.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 12:34 AM   #134
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
I don't know about FSU w/o Travis. If they survive Louisville they will get in but I don't think they have a chance against the top 3.
I would really like to see Georgia - Washington in the first round. I really like Deboer's team. Not counting Alabama out but just sayin'.
You better believe the number 1 seed, whether it be Georgia or Mich...will be licking their chops getting to play FSU in first round. Spread would be 3+ tds, FSU would get annihilated.

Washington beats Oregon again locking spot in playoffs. Bo Nix is overrated. Late 2nd rounder at best. He was trash at Auburn playing real NFL talent defenses. Moves to Pac12 and puts up numbers against worst defenses in country. He is 5th best QB heading into draft. I put Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix ahead of Nix.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 01:30 PM   #135
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
You better believe the number 1 seed, whether it be Georgia or Mich...will be licking their chops getting to play FSU in first round. Spread would be 3+ tds, FSU would get annihilated.

Washington beats Oregon again locking spot in playoffs. Bo Nix is overrated. Late 2nd rounder at best. He was trash at Auburn playing real NFL talent defenses. Moves to Pac12 and puts up numbers against worst defenses in country. He is 5th best QB heading into draft. I put Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix ahead of Nix.
Mich vs FSU.

UGA will fall to Alabama today.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 10:43 PM   #136
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

The committee is going to be forced to put FSU in. Even though they know they have zero chance of winning. Does the committee dare keep out an undefeated FSU with a now struggling offense without Travis?

If you want to see good football games (Mich, Wash, Texas, Bama) is the way to go.

Mich vs Bama sure would be fun to watch. Same with Wash vs Texas.

Last edited by M3WC; 12-02-2023 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 10:56 PM   #137
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Its a mess out there so imo the conference champions should get to go even though the ACC champs are going to get owned.

Michigan
Washington
Florida State
Alabama

However you order the top 4 I do NOT want to see Alabama vs Florida State in round 1.
Please no massacres in round 1 as I could see the score being 45-0 and I am being generous.
I say put Texas in instead of FSU based on strength of schedule and Georgia even though hurt could still wipe 3 of the 4 teams selected.
What a mess.

Last edited by BMWILUVU; 12-02-2023 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 12:15 AM   #138
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Its a mess out there so imo the conference champions should get to go even though the ACC champs are going to get owned.

Michigan
Washington
Florida State
Alabama
Problem is Texas is also a conf champ, with one of best wins all season at Bama. Out of all the power 5 conf, the ACC looked the weakest this year.

The committee does have a guideline they can use as an out, availability of players. FSU is not the same team without Travis. There isn't a team in top ten they could beat right now. Feel bad for FSU fans, even if they get in they have no chance. That injury was brutal.

Last edited by M3WC; 12-03-2023 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 09:40 AM   #139
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I’d say Michigan, Washington, FSU and Texas in that order.

FSU isn’t the same team without Travis, but they are still good and win games with second and third string QBs. I hate them but they managed to get through the season undefeated, which is no small feat (even with some help from the refs).

Texas beat Bama so that is straight forward to me. Both teams got better as the season went on, but head to head wins need to matter, or why bother playing.

UGA and Ohio State shouldn’t even be in the discussion.
      12-03-2023, 12:03 PM   #140
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I’d say Michigan, Washington, FSU and Texas in that order.

FSU isn’t the same team without Travis, but they are still good and win games with second and third string QBs. I hate them but they managed to get through the season undefeated, which is no small feat (even with some help from the refs).

Texas beat Bama so that is straight forward to me. Both teams got better as the season went on, but head to head wins need to matter, or why bother playing.

UGA and Ohio State shouldn’t even be in the discussion.
Agree with FSU, I'm not a fan but as an undefeated power5 team its wrong to have left them out.

From a deserving POV as to accomplishments, the 4 teams should have been:
Michigan, Washington, Florida State, Alabama (based on strength of schedule)

On the other hand from a power perspective, FSU would have a low chance of escaping round 1 and Texas has a better chance so the committee did right from that perspective.

UGA and Ohio State shouldn’t be in the discussion because there are no slots and they did not win their conference. Otherwise, Georgia has the ability to run the table honestly. Just saying.

After this year the mess get cleared up a little better.

Quote:
Problem is Texas is also a conf champ, with one of best wins all season at Bama. Out of all the power 5 conf, the ACC looked the weakest this year.

The committee does have a guideline they can use as an out, availability of players. FSU is not the same team without Travis. There isn't a team in top ten they could beat right now. Feel bad for FSU fans, even if they get in they have no chance. That injury was brutal.
Bama week 1 is not the same team as the current. Which is why its fools gold to participate in these challenging scrimmages week 1.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410991.00
      12-03-2023, 12:43 PM   #141
DriftinG Z32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 and Madza RX7

No surprise Alabama leapfrogs Florida St. Money talks and Nick Saban/Alabama sells more than a Jordan Travis-less Florida St squad. Not a fan of the decision or the justification by the committee, but I get it. You have to feel bad for the kids at FSU. They fought for two weeks straight with backups and did what they had to do, only to get slighted at the end.
Appreciate 1
mookie45770.00
      12-03-2023, 03:59 PM   #142
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

^ Don't totally disagree but the guidelines for picking the four includes the following:

The selection committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
* Conference championships won,

* Strength of schedule,

*Head‐to‐head competition,

*Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,

* Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.
Appreciate 2
M3WC3646.50
F32Fleet3606.00
      12-03-2023, 04:10 PM   #143
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Yup, going undefeated doesn't guarantee anything. There is a committee for a reason, with guidelines to pick the 4 best teams(includes player availability). It finally happened where we had true chaos. This was somehow avoided in previous seasons. 12 team playoff will fix this.

FSU strength of schedule was 55th in nation. Alabama was 5th. Bama had the best win all season against Georgia who was on 29 game winning streak. If Bama is in, they had to put Texas in. FSU's best win was against LSU, which Bama also beat.

The consolation prize for FSU is getting to play Georgia in Orange Bowl...brutal. The committee made this match so FSU gets blown out and can say "I told ya so".

FSU players/alumni/fans have a right to be pissed. All the other noise is just Bama and/or SEC haters. They all know FSU would be double digit underdogs to the 4 teams chosen.

Last edited by M3WC; 12-03-2023 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 05:40 PM   #144
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
^ Don't totally disagree but the guidelines for picking the four includes the following:

The selection committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
* Conference championships won,

* Strength of schedule,

*Head‐to‐head competition,

*Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,

* Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.
They should have dropped them down lower sooner if the injury to Travis meant they weren’t going to select them. They seemed to change their criteria at the end.

I enjoy seeing FSU fans suffer as much as the next guy, but not sure this is any better than the old days when polls decided who played for the national championship. Just use the AP poll top 4 (12 going forward) and skip the committee altogether.
      12-03-2023, 05:56 PM   #145
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

#1 and #2 Shou get bye the. 3-6 play it out

Banana vs FSU and Tex vs UGA

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 07:35 PM   #146
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They should have dropped them down lower sooner if the injury to Travis meant they weren’t going to select them. They seemed to change their criteria at the end.

I enjoy seeing FSU fans suffer as much as the next guy, but not sure this is any better than the old days when polls decided who played for the national championship. Just use the AP poll top 4 (12 going forward) and skip the committee altogether.
Well the criteria haven’t changed, I think the committee was giving FSU a chance to prove the back up QB could step in and play at a high enough level.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 07:45 PM   #147
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Well the criteria haven’t changed, I think the committee was giving FSU a chance to prove the back up QB could step in and play at a high enough level.
Well they dropped them down after the third string played and they won their games. They will have second string QB back going forward. If FSU needed to prove they were good enough / met the eye test with backup QBs, they should have dropped them right then because they were no longer #4 until proven.

The written criteria didn’t change, but the way they weighed the criteria and communicated their view of FSU surely did. I think they were banking on FSU bailing them out by losing a game and then got “stuck” with an undefeated FSU.
      12-03-2023, 08:09 PM   #148
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Well I totally understand the FSU fans view. strength of schedule didn’t help FSU either and that is also part of the formula. Either way there is nothing anyone can say to the FSU fans and I’m sure if the committee had put FSU in and excluded Alabama or Texas we’d be hearing similar complaints from their fan base.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 09:57 PM   #149
DriftinG Z32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 and Madza RX7

Quote:

This…the committee should have had the foresight and dropped them earlier.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410991.00
      12-03-2023, 10:36 PM   #150
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

FSU 14 point dogs in Orange Bowl against Georgia.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 01:39 PM   #151
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Georgia vs FSU is practically a playoff game. If by miracle FSU beats Georgia, it would just put the final rejection stamp on the crappy system we've been dealing with forever.
FSU has a few weeks for QB-WRs to develop chemistry and to coach their big-time receivers on how to actually catch and hold onto the damn ball. Otherwise forget 14 points, massacre. Of course we also have no idea whom on either team will skip the game either. CFB these days what a shit-show but the pairings on CFB playoffs are must watch awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 03:33 PM   #152
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Georgia vs FSU is practically a playoff game. If by miracle FSU beats Georgia, it would just put the final rejection stamp on the crappy system we've been dealing with forever.
FSU has a few weeks for QB-WRs to develop chemistry and to coach their big-time receivers on how to actually catch and hold onto the damn ball. Otherwise forget 14 points, massacre. Of course we also have no idea whom on either team will skip the game either. CFB these days what a shit-show but the pairings on CFB playoffs are must watch awesome!
Both teams will probably be missing players who sit out for the draft since it is a non-playoff game. Between so many more guys sitting out and the portal opening, bowl season really isn’t what it used to be.
BMWILUVU809.00
      12-04-2023, 10:35 PM   #153
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

UGA lifetime fan and graduate here.
By my counts UGA will be down half our starters. Definitely Becks main targets will be out. Maybe a large portion of our lines and probably our main 3 DBs. The UGA showing up at the Orange Bowl is the 2024 Dawgs. Not the 2023

If FSU shows up with their whole squad and mad while UGA shows up with what into they will, I would expect FSU to hang if not come out on top.
Appreciate 2
BMWILUVU809.00
RickFLM410991.00
      12-05-2023, 09:19 PM   #154
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
UGA lifetime fan and graduate here.
By my counts UGA will be down half our starters. Definitely Becks main targets will be out. Maybe a large portion of our lines and probably our main 3 DBs. The UGA showing up at the Orange Bowl is the 2024 Dawgs. Not the 2023

If FSU shows up with their whole squad and mad while UGA shows up with what into they will, I would expect FSU to hang if not come out on top.
Have guys started announcing who will be out?

Pat Payton for FSU said he’s entering the portal today. I think it’s just an NIL negotiation tactic but would be tough for them to lose both him and Verse (and also some talk of a couple of their DTs heading to the portal).