E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Are You Good At Guitar?

06-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Are You Good At Guitar?

Can anyone with a little guitar knowledge honestly give me a sense how long it would take me to get remotely close to this level?

I have some guitar experience, but do not approach these levels. I recently read Buckethead, age 41, has been known to practice upwards of 15 hours per day. WTF!? Is my answer just practice, practice, practice? Somehow, I feel no matter how much I practice, I just don't have this talent. :sadanana:

The tear starts at about 1:45 - 4:00

P.S. What kind of guitar do you have?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
im not good at al
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

I'm not at all good with a guitar, but I'd imagine there's a talent factor involved as you suggest. It might not even be possible for the average person to get close to that level of virtuosity. If you had the requisite talent, I'd imagine it would still take several years. I honestly don't know though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

I am, but that guitar doesn't have the green,red,yellow, blue, and orange buttons like mine.
      06-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

haha that bucket head guy is crazy, I think radix is right that there is a certain amount of natural talent. Some people just cant get that kind of rhythm in their head to keep a riff like that going. If you want to start playing like that just learn some scales and practice doing them faster and faster thats basically what he is doing. (I can not play guitar like that)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I am, but that guitar doesn't have the green,red,yellow, blue, and orange buttons like mine.
lol
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post

10/10
      06-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

for reference:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6769461
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I have a guitar(s).

I'm alright, but it was/is just a hobby of mine. While I don't want to doubt that guy's talent because he obviously does have quite a bit, it's hard for me to really take that a "serious" guitar playing.

Again, not saying that "just anyone" can play 32nd/64th notes on an electric guitar, it's just far easier to do so when you have nylon strings and some really sensitive pickups.

I liken electric guitar "shredding" much to keyboard playing. Sounds bad-ass, and you certainly have to dedicate lots of time to learning how, but with all of the mixers/wa-wa pedals, etc... the strings become a way to manipulate "noise" rather than actually playing a physical instrument.

If you want to see some of what I consider "real" playing, check out some of the people who can play like that on steel stringed instruments. Tim Reynolds' stuff, or even Chris Thile. Not saying these guys don't have pickups on their guitars and that they don't "hammer-on/off" notes, but anyone who has played for any length of time can appreciate the kind of skill it takes to play like this on steel strings.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

And to concur with some of the earlier comments Chris Thile released his first solo album at age 13.... So while I don't think it's necessarily impossible to get "that good" at guitar, I think that you certainly have to factor in that occasionally there is a bit of God-given talent that get's dished out.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I have to agree with Feyd. I've been playing since 7th grade, and I am quite good, but I can't shred. I don't see the point unless you are looking to be in a band. No one wants to sit at a party and listen to you shred for 20 minutes. If you can play like this, then you are truly talented...Doyle is just as fast as bucket head and he plays his own background music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Or Tommy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Oh, I'm a self-procolaimed Buckethead fan, maybe his #1 fan. He can play any style, any speed, and I'm pretty sure anything. I have more respect for him than any musician in the world. He's done it all without taking off that mask. Awesome, for me.

Seen him live 3 times and it's absolutely incredible. I just want to know what it took for him to be so incredible.

Dave Mustaine was quoted as saying Buckethead is twice as good as himself and Slash combined.

So, yes. I will promote him as much as possible.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 06-19-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I have a guitar(s).

I'm alright, but it was/is just a hobby of mine. While I don't want to doubt that guy's talent because he obviously does have quite a bit, it's hard for me to really take that a "serious" guitar playing.

Again, not saying that "just anyone" can play 32nd/64th notes on an electric guitar, it's just far easier to do so when you have nylon strings and some really sensitive pickups.

I liken electric guitar "shredding" much to keyboard playing. Sounds bad-ass, and you certainly have to dedicate lots of time to learning how, but with all of the mixers/wa-wa pedals, etc... the strings become a way to manipulate "noise" rather than actually playing a physical instrument.

If you want to see some of what I consider "real" playing, check out some of the people who can play like that on steel stringed instruments. Tim Reynolds' stuff, or even Chris Thile. Not saying these guys don't have pickups on their guitars and that they don't "hammer-on/off" notes, but anyone who has played for any length of time can appreciate the kind of skill it takes to play like this on steel strings.

Understandable, but his playing isn't just all shred.

Those guys you posted are incredible as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I have to agree with Feyd. I've been playing since 7th grade, and I am quite good, but I can't shred. I don't see the point unless you are looking to be in a band. No one wants to sit at a party and listen to you shred for 20 minutes. If you can play like this, then you are truly talented...Doyle is just as fast as bucket head and he plays his own background music.
Pretty sweet. If you listen to about the 3 min mark of the other vid I posted, the style Buckethead plays is similar to the first part of this clip.

Just saying it's pretty amazing how many different styles Bucket has learned.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Can anyone with a little guitar knowledge honestly give me a sense how long it would take me to get remotely close to this level?

I have some guitar experience, but do not approach these levels. I recently read Buckethead, age 41, has been known to practice upwards of 15 hours per day. WTF!? Is my answer just practice, practice, practice? Somehow, I feel no matter how much I practice, I just don't have this talent. :sadanana:

The tear starts at about 1:45 - 4:00

P.S. What kind of guitar do you have?
pretty sure a big part of it is lots of practice. a solid knowledge of music theory will also definitely help. it's different when you understand what you are doing, it is actually much easier rather than when you are just trying to memorize a tab.

if your goal is to be like that, i think it would also help to go to a really good music school. maybe a musician institute. they can be really expensive though. my friend inquired and i think it is about 30k a year. but they let you use the facility 24/7, they will teach you all sorts of techniques and styles (even country, they will actually require you to learn it as many people look down the genre but do not realize how much talent it takes to play country style), and a lot of theories and all sort of guitar pro stuff...

and just a reminder... im not saying you have to. im pretty sure many good guitar players did not go to school and just learned on their own. happy playing.

...btw, i play strat, tele, and a les paul... sadly i don't own them... saving for an affordable PRS while out of school and looking to improve... i am nowhere near buckethead and i don't shred but i do enjoy playing.
      06-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #17
PUDDY
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

You will need to practice hours a day for years to get even close to that unless you're an artistic savant. Learning all different kinds of music will help you develop your ear for music and which will make improvised playing a lot easier. Anyone can learn to play a song note for note using TAB, but you'll notice artists rarely play their songs note for note to their studio recordings. I learned many songs from TAB when I was younger, but once you develope and ear for music you find you'll be strumming or riffing away and it'll hit you, "Hey that's how they play..."

Guitar is a great hobby for passing time, personal satisfaction, or impressing chicks, whichever you choose. Enjoy.

FYI, I have an Ibanez Acoustic, & 1972 Gibson Les Paul recording model.
Appreciate 0