E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for $9.99/mo

11-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for $9.99/mo

Adobe is opening up their low cost program for PS CC and LR5 to everyone until Dec. 2. Now is a very good time to sign up. Photoshop CC has very cool new features. By itself it's worth it, but with LR5 thrown in as well, it's really a good deal.

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/off...om?PID=2440327

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Wow thanks for posting ... this is worth checking out.

I'm using both PSCC and LR5 on free trials right now - perfect timing!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

I just bought LR for $79 last night. Ugh. I guess in the long run it will pay off!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Getting my sister to buy me the CS6 Master Suite for xmas, shes a teacher. I don't know how I feel about this cloud/monthly payment deal.... As someone who sometimes has to use my computer far away from internet connections I don't like the idea.

Last edited by Nate4641; 11-22-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
Getting my sister to buy me the CS6 Master Suite for xmas, shes a teacher. I don't know how I feel about this cloud/monthly payment deal.... As someone who sometimes has to use my computer far away from internet connections I don't like the idea.
If you sign up for the yearly deal posted above, you won't have to worry about it unless you're offline for a loooong time. The deal above is $9.99/mo *if* you sign up for a year. I believe they bill you for the full year right away. I could be wrong, though.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I wonder what happens after 12-mos.

Adobe says:

When you purchase directly from Adobe, the cost of an annual membership will not go up during the first 12 months of your membership. It is possible that the cost of the month-to-month membership will increase, but if it does, you will be notified and given the opportunity to cancel.

That doesn't make me feel good. I think this model sucks.

Dave
      11-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I've read in several places, including the-digital-picture.com, that Adobe reps are saying the $9.99/mo will be the ongoing price. But I haven't seen anything to that effect in writing from Adobe. Still, $120/year for PS CC and LR5 isn't bad if that price holds. CS6 and LR5 total around $800 retail for the standalone versions. That's more than 6 years at the current offer price.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

It's an amazing price for software that powerful...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

It is only a good deal if there will be no future version of photoshop or LR that you would have to purchase separate subscriptions for and they just updated the current one from now on. Also there should be some way of accessing it offline. This is just a bad idea to limit people to access only through the internet/ This makes me think they are installing software on your pc that is constantly scanning it for files they are looking for or things in which they have no business looking at for "marketing purposes" Electronic arts does this with their Origin interface for gaming. It is really bad business practice and just plane old snooping into peoples privacy and thinking they have a right to it if you use their products.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
It is only a good deal if there will be no future version of photoshop or LR that you would have to purchase separate subscriptions for and they just updated the current one from now on. Also there should be some way of accessing it offline. This is just a bad idea to limit people to access only through the internet/ This makes me think they are installing software on your pc that is constantly scanning it for files they are looking for or things in which they have no business looking at for "marketing purposes" Electronic arts does this with their Origin interface for gaming. It is really bad business practice and just plane old snooping into peoples privacy and thinking they have a right to it if you use their products.
None of that is true. You can download and install PS CC and then use it offline just fine. The software is installed on your machine just as if you had the CD. It just runs a small licensing app that goes to Adobe's servers and checks to see if you paid your subscription this month, then it resets until next month. Adobe can't snoop around your PC anymore than anyone else can. Microsoft is going to do the same thing with Office 365. It's going to be this way for lots of high end software.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

I would strongly suggest staying away from anything adobe cloud….. Its a genius marketing move on their behalf, but of course thats only the half of it.

If you don't pay your subscription costs you can't access your work!!!!!!! You are at the mercy of whenever they want to raise their costs.

I will always buy my software outright….
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

If I don't pay my electric bill every month, the electric company can turn off my lights. And they can raise the rates any time they want. Same goes for rent, insurance, car payments, my magazine subscriptions, my cell phone, my satellite TV, my cable internet, the gas I use to heat the house, etc, etc. Why should it be different for licensing Adobe products?

And my RAW files and JPGs never leave my machine. I can access my work anytime I want. I just need to use some other software if I decide to stop paying Adobe.

If you don't want to pay Adobe, then don't. But don't spread BS about not being able to access your work.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Wow lots of misinformation here. Let me try to help Mark fix it

I purchased the $9.99 / mo subscription to Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5.

1. The Adobe Cloud just comes with it - you don't HAVE to use it. None of my work is on the Adobe cloud.

2. The software, both Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5, are installed on your local machine and can be used without any internet connection. The $9.99 deal comes with an agreement that you set up automated monthly billing. It phones home and surely after a month if you stop your credit card, the license will no longer be active. If you prepay the 12 months, it only phones home once every 99 days, so unless you will be in Antarctica for longer than 99 days with no internet, the long travel argument doesn't stand.

3. Considering most of us continually update software to keep up with features, averaging out the cost of upgrading vs. paying monthly, even say at a full rate of $50/mo for both Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 together, you just about break even, or possibly spend a bit more with Photoshop CC. Not enough to write home about, though. And, I doubt it will end up at $50/mo.

4. There are never price guarantees. The $9.99/mo deal is a loss leader. I am certain the price will go up. I think I read the standard price was around $40 or $50 per month; however if it doesn't sell at those prices, by the time the 12 months is up the new price might only go to $20/mo. Even at $30/mo or $360/yr it's a wash vs. boxed software.

5. Exactly opposite to what HPFREAK stated, this is a GOOD deal for those that continually upgrade! If you NEVER plan to upgrade your software, then yes, this is not a good deal, because it implies you'll be paying a monthly fee forever... same with car leases -- if you know you will be trading in your car every 3 years, leasing makes sense. I look at it same as a car lease. Lots of people don't like car leases but those who understand them and accept them can benefit greatly.

Anyway I've been enjoying my membership (just got it a few weeks ago) and just wanted to clear up some misconceptions here.

More details:
http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotc...toshop-cc.html
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
If I don't pay my electric bill every month, the electric company can turn off my lights. And they can raise the rates any time they want. Same goes for rent, insurance, car payments, my magazine subscriptions, my cell phone, my satellite TV, my cable internet, the gas I use to heat the house, etc, etc. Why should it be different for licensing Adobe products?

And my RAW files and JPGs never leave my machine. I can access my work anytime I want. I just need to use some other software if I decide to stop paying Adobe.

If you don't want to pay Adobe, then don't. But don't spread BS about not being able to access your work.
I own the entire CS6 suite… my software makes me money. It isn't BS, yes of course the raw is always on the computer but how you gonna open a project in premiere when you don't have the subscription????

You lose your work!!!!!! How you gonna open .psd (photoshop) files without photoshop???

Like I said its marketing genius……

Lightroom is $79 at b&h and sometimes you can get it for free with certain body or lens purchases.

I pay monthly for things like web, domain, and email hosting. Those things I don't have a choice…

Adobe CC appeals to the masses…. professionals use their software as tools of the trade.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Professionals can write off their software costs, too. And if you use Microsoft Office, you'll soon be in the same boat as Office is going to the subscription model with Office 365. Then your documents will be in docx. and .xlsx and so on. How are you going to open them without Office?

This is the way most high end software will be soon. Get used to it.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0