E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Why Are People Consumer Whores?

10-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Why Are People Consumer Whores?

Now I don't mean the typical buy everything you see. Here is what I mean.

Yesterday, I went to see my girlfriend at her college. I was talking to her roommate. We somehow got on the topic of Apple and how they both have one. She stated her father doesn't like Apple but was nice and bought her one. I asked why she dislikes it and she said because it was slow on her dads computer.

I then non-abrasively stated you can't compare the two point blank. Apple has somewhat high end hardware in all their computers that they make work very well with their software. Windows on the other hand lets users choose their hardware which causes things to shift like speed and other things.

She started freaking out saying I made no sense and how she just got one and loves Apple even though it is her first one. But for some reason knew she would love it. Now I know she is just a cunt. But it seems with many college kids even older people. That they just buy into shit without knowing.

All the college kids have an Apple because others have it, because its pricey and its different. Why cant people stop being retarded?

I just wanted to mainly see any of your point of views on this and if you deal with this a lot. Or if maybe you are the same way. Also this is not a Apple vs Windows debate so Apple Zealots be gone.
      10-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Yeah I don't have an iPod

Let's see what other brands people bandwagon, either for no apparent reason or the wrong reason (and I'm not saying I have/don't have, like/dislike any of these brands)

Apple- iPod, iPhone, laptops, desktops
Firefox
Coach
BMW (as well as many other car brands)
Crocs
Ben & Jerry's
Yankees
Bose
Motorola-RAZR
Rolex
7 Jeans

Last edited by Nikki; 10-06-2007 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

It's a form of status seeking... It's little more than an attempt to appear wealthy, or "IN"...

All you have to do is watch TV and you'll quickly see this pathetic "You are NOT cool unless you buy 'X'." Marketing ploy. It's obvious and it's everywhere. Problem is that so many Americans are so culturally crippled that many do not even know they have been sort of suckered in, while others are so desperate for imagined respect that they will spend thousands on shit they don't need in a misguided attempt to buy respect, class, or appear somehow better off than the next guy.

Clothes, Cars, Watches, even addresses are all used as little "Badges" of Cool.
Watching this board is a comical or tragic parade of the Status seeker many times. It's primarily US phenomenon I think. It's the lack of any real culture, any real sense of self that causes so many Americans to seek out every little bit of status symbol they can find. In a Culture where Money is looked at as it's own end, and the wealthy are viewed as somehow special it's only a matter of time before folks start trying to emulate their behaviors.

It's reaching epidemic proportion in the States though. Fast food culture, "artists" singing about their "Bling" and "Benzes", and hordes of fools putting the 24 inch chrome wheels on their Escalades cause "Fiddy" does it... WTF? It's not about whats in your head, it's not about having a real personality. It's about presenting an image that the TV told you is cool, that gets "bitches", represents just how "hard" you think you are, and is proof that you are "Ballin".

If we are listing bullshit labels though lets not forget the worst or the silliest of the Labels....

Hollister
Abercrombie
Lucky
Louis Viton
BMW
Mercedes
Lexus
ROTFL Chrysler 300 and Chargers He he he...
Dolce and Gabbana
TAG Heuer

On and on.

In large part I'm sure that all of this goes back to the basic human need to feel "Better" than the next guy. Christians VS Everyone, Ford VS Chevy, BMW VS Everyone.... It's just typical my shit is better than your shit and you can tell because my logo says so.

Or something like that.

Travel overseas or get out of certain areas in the US and you'll find that much of the label whoring looses all meaning, a Rolex impresses nobody out in the sticks.

Everyone needs to learn to enjoy their own shiny shit because they like it, not because someone else might think you're cool because of it.
      10-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Sorry, Early morning caffeine High!
      10-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
Now I don't mean the typical buy everything you see. Here is what I mean.

Yesterday, I went to see my girlfriend at her college. I was talking to her roommate. We somehow got on the topic of Apple and how they both have one. She stated her father doesn't like Apple but was nice and bought her one. I asked why she dislikes it and she said because it was slow on her dads computer.

I then non-abrasively stated you can't compare the two point blank. Apple has somewhat high end hardware in all their computers that they make work very well with their software. Windows on the other hand lets users choose their hardware which causes things to shift like speed and other things.

She started freaking out saying I made no sense and how she just got one and loves Apple even though it is her first one. But for some reason knew she would love it. Now I know she is just a cunt. But it seems with many college kids even older people. That they just buy into shit without knowing.

All the college kids have an Apple because others have it, because its pricey and its different. Why cant people stop being retarded?

I just wanted to mainly see any of your point of views on this and if you deal with this a lot. Or if maybe you are the same way. Also this is not a Apple vs Windows debate so Apple Zealots be gone.
maybe your gf's friend doesnt know enough about computers. kinda hard to extrapolate this example and ask "why are people consumer whores?"

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
well. i dont know. im like that too, but not because everyone else has something im going to buy it. i buy products in companies that i TRULY beleive in their quality. such as ZUNE, Express Men, BMW, Sony (for TV's), Xbox, and so on.

however, if i walk into armani exchange, i wont hesitate to buy some clothes there, allthough im an express men whore, i will shop at other stores, but you owuld never find me in american eagle and A&F. 92% of my clothing is Express men.

i dont wear it because its brand name, i wear it because the quality is superb and for that price, its even better!

and i mean Zune player.... i bought it because it was a far better product. evey1 has an iPod and their reliability sucks.

Sony Ericsson makes the best phones in my opinion. durable, and none of them have failed me. even when they have been left in a room full of steam for 3 hours, or in my shower for 30 minutes, no malfunctions or anything.

however, some consumers are brand whores and will buy anythign a company spits out. Example: Mercedes Benz R class. seriously, what the fuck.
      10-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
It's a form of status seeking... It's little more than an attempt to appear wealthy, or "IN"...

All you have to do is watch TV and you'll quickly see this pathetic "You are NOT cool unless you buy 'X'." Marketing ploy. It's obvious and it's everywhere. Problem is that so many Americans are so culturally crippled that many do not even know they have been sort of suckered in, while others are so desperate for imagined respect that they will spend thousands on shit they don't need in a misguided attempt to buy respect, class, or appear somehow better off than the next guy.

Watching this board is a comical or tragic parade of the Status seeker many times. It's primarily US phenomenon I think. It's the lack of any real culture, any real sense of self that causes so many Americans to seek out every little bit of status symbol they can find. In a Culture where Money is looked at as it's own end, and the wealthy are viewed as somehow special it's only a matter of time before folks start trying to emulate their behaviors.

It's reaching epidemic proportion in the States though. Fast food culture, "artists" singing about their "Bling" and "Benzes", and hordes of fools putting the 24 inch chrome wheels on their Escalades cause "Fiddy" does it... WTF? It's not about whats in your head, it's not about having a real personality. It's about presenting an image that the TV told you is cool, that gets "bitches", represents just how "hard" you think you are, and is proof that you are "Ballin".

If we are listing bullshit labels though lets not forget the worst or the silliest of the Labels....

Hollister
Abercrombie
Lucky
Louis Viton
BMW
Mercedes
Lexus
Dolce and Gabbana
TAG Heuer

On and on.

In large part I'm sure that all of this goes back to the basic human need to feel "Better" than the next guy. Christians VS Everyone, Ford VS Chevy, BMW VS Everyone.... It's just typical my shit is better than your shit and you can tell because my logo says so.

Or something like that.

Travel overseas or get out of certain areas in the US and you'll find that much of the label whoring looses all meaning, a Rolex impresses nobody out in the sticks.

Everyone needs to learn to enjoy their own shiny shit because they like it, not because someone else might think you're cool because of it.
You make a lot of good points , but everyone that I have ever met/seen from europe, including my vacations in Italy, has shown to me at least that they are the biggest label whores on the planet. When I think of a label whore I think of all things associated with fashion, and even if you include automobiles, a lot of it comes from Europe. I think autos are different though because although some tools buy a car as a status symbol, I think that a huge group of enthusiasts buy a car for what it can do, not what badge its wearing. That is why I sold my E46 for a Honda S2000. I was pretty aware that a Honda badge didn't have more snob appeal , but I could care less because the car offered a better driving experience.

I kind of got off on a tangent, but my main point was that Americans are certainly not the only ones who buy crap to feel important or accepted, there is plenty of eurotrash doing the same. The only difference is that they have to pay more then us to do it.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post

Let's see what other brands people bandwagon, either for no apparent reason or the wrong reason (and I'm not saying I have/don't have, like/dislike any of these brands)

Firefox
Coach
Crocs
Ben & Jerry's
Yankees
Bose
Motorola-RAZR
Rolex
7 Jeans

I think you of all people are lying. You must own an ipod.

And I agree with all those things except Firefox. it has nowhere near as many users as internet explorer. Obviously since it doesnt come standard. But it is a good browser. Altough I like the new internet explorer.

Quote:

Hollister
Abercrombie
Lucky
Louis Viton
BMW
Mercedes
Lexus
Dolce and Gabbana
TAG Heuer

On and on.

Or something like that.

haha, wow. was not expecting that but those points are so valid. I agree whole heartedly with you.

I mean it is natural especially for an American to show some tendencies of buying something just because. But it has gotten out of hand.

I also feel especially in my girlfriend's roommate's case it is that people just blindly believe shit. They may not buy something because everyone else has it. But they dont do any god damn research and realize it is the best item as it is portrayed.

That is what pissed me off. Especially considering she is in college and I know that is what she will continue to do with everything. As do many other college kids.
      10-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No I don't have an iPod.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
well. i dont know. im like that too, but not because everyone else has something im going to buy it. i buy products in companies that i TRULY beleive in their quality. such as ZUNE, Express Men, BMW, Sony (for TV's), Xbox, and so on.

however, if i walk into armani exchange, i wont hesitate to buy some clothes there, allthough im an express men whore, i will shop at other stores, but you owuld never find me in american eagle and A&F. 92% of my clothing is Express men.

i dont wear it because its brand name, i wear it because the quality is superb and for that price, its even better!

and i mean Zune player.... i bought it because it was a far better product. evey1 has an iPod and their reliability sucks.

Sony Ericsson makes the best phones in my opinion. durable, and none of them have failed me. even when they have been left in a room full of steam for 3 hours, or in my shower for 30 minutes, no malfunctions or anything.

however, some consumers are brand whores and will buy anythign a company spits out. Example: Mercedes Benz R class. seriously, what the fuck.

Right, Buying stuff with a brand name because of it's quality is the only reason to spend the money that the labels often demand.

I spent $100 at American Eagle once.... ONCE. Never had a shittier Polo in my life. It's should be about quality, finish, or personal preference, NOT about what others are going to think. It's why in particular I find Coach, D&G, and LV so comical. It's the over the top label usage and the SIZE of the logos, just over the top. It would be like Painting a Giant Roundel on your Hood...
      10-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
dpeterson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Montego Blue

Quote:
TAG Heuer

On and on..
easy now... they make good stuff.

dave
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No I don't have an iPod.
Come on Nikki... You've got an IPod... Fess up.

Hell I have an Ipod, it works great, feels good in the hands.

I'll even admit to only initially buying my Leica because it said Leica. That being said, I'll also probably be buying another cause as it turns out the optics really are that good.

Name brands and labels are how we know something should be good, and of a particular quality. It's how we can choose between products based on prior experience or reports of friends.

It becomes a poser game when everyone forgets that it's the product that matters, not the just the brand and that we should be buying the product because of the quality of the product, NOT because we wish to impress someone or project an image that the media tells us this product possesses.

Or something like that.

There is a lot of Hype around ipods sure, but it's not entirely undeserved. They work very well, have pretty quiet electronics, long battery lives, and excellent accessories/dealer support. So yeah, there is a lot of hype, but it's similar to the Hype around BMWs, it's there for a reason.
      10-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

And I agree with all those things except Firefox. it has nowhere near as many users as internet explorer. Obviously since it doesnt come standard. But it is a good browser. Altough I like the new internet explorer.

haha, wow. was not expecting that but those points are so valid. I agree whole heartedly with you.

I mean it is natural especially for an American to show some tendencies of buying something just because. But it has gotten out of hand.

I also feel especially in my girlfriend's roommate's case it is that people just blindly believe shit. They may not buy something because everyone else has it. But they dont do any god damn research and realize it is the best item as it is portrayed.

That is what pissed me off. Especially considering she is in college and I know that is what she will continue to do with everything. As do many other college kids.
i have an ipod... video ipod. i jumped on it because i was using a cd player all that time and it felt silly burning cds when i can pirate faster than i burn. i didn't really like any of the other designs of music players and i actually didnt like that button crap on the ipod at first but i got used to it.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
CheshireCat
Rep
Drives: 1969 Datsun

Whats an ipod?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #15
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeterson View Post
easy now... they make good stuff.

dave
That's not the point, I have a Daytona that I love, sure they are good stuff I am certainly not saying they aren't. But when folks aren't wearing them or buying them because they are durable high quality products and start buying them for some imagined respect, or "BLING" they become little more than bullcrap status symbols.

The Worshiping of labels VS understanding WHY something has a reputation, and appreciating the craftsmanship/quality.
      10-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #16
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

I think we should change the title to "Why Are Women (or other things that like males) Consumer Whores?"
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #17
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's not the point, I have a Daytona that I love, sure they are good stuff I am certainly not saying they aren't. But when folks aren't wearing them or buying them because they are durable high quality products and start buying them for some imagined respect, or "BLING" they become little more than bullcrap status symbols.

The Worshiping of labels VS understanding WHY something has a reputation, and appreciating the craftsmanship/quality.
Unfortunately that's the difference (as with all brands) between people buying things to get noticed, as opposed to just wanting a beautiful product. I do agree with all of your points.

Sure I like and buy nice clothes and other things just like the rest of you. But I'm trying to get out of buying all things from name brand stores. Have you seen some of the dress shirts at Target? They are crazy nice. I've complimented so many peoples shirts, and when I ask where they found it, they reply Target. The first time I was like holy crap.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #18
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
LOL..i have an iphone and an ipod and I will never be a MAC fan....I love working on linux console but never like the GUI anyway...basically I just want to be the anti side of it seeing everybody thinks MAC is the god or something...of course dude....they aren't design for a wide range of users....just a handful of people is writing apps for it...so less bug, faster load speed etc..whatever......comes down to whoever Market it best will get people to buy it...you can sell cow dung for a premium too if you know how.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #19
CheshireCat
Rep
Drives: 1969 Datsun

I think most consumers are not interested in spending their time trying to research the items that they intend to buy. Most people will buy brand x because someone else whom they deemed as being "cool" has it or because they were attracted by the marketing of the product and not necessarily because its better than brand y.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #20
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Come on Nikki... You've got an IPod... Fess up.
Lol I really don't

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #21
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:

Firefox
Coach
Crocs
Ben & Jerry's
Yankees
Bose
Motorola-RAZR
Rolex
7 Jeans
Nothing to do with this post but women that drive manual are that much more sexy
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #22
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
I actually do have some experience with computers. I started out building my first computer in 1993, a 486DX-66MHz with 16MB RAM and a Cirrus Logic 5428 graphics card.

I have a PC at home that I built myself with the hardware that I liked at that time (AMD Athlon XP 4000+ with 1GB RAM). I know it has enough power to run Windows Vista. However, when I actually installed Vista (which took me 1 full day to figure out because I have an AMD processor with nVIDIA chip set, and it was incompatible with my SCSI card --> forced me to switch to SATA), the Vista keeps crashing time after time..... I get the blue screen of death almost every day when I try to switch between users of the computer.

On the other hand, I bought my very first Mac Book Pro exactly 1 year ago. I think it is very well built and the software and hardware work seamlessly. The only program that crashes consistently is MSN Messenger. Otherwise, the machine is running flawlessly from day one.

I also have questioned other people's choice of the MacOS back in the days when I was in college (~6-7 years ago). However, looking back, I can understand why some people would make such a choice. I'm totally satisfied with the way my MBP is running. As a 3rd year medical student, I really don't have time to sit front of the computer for 8-10 hours straight every couple months to clean out my Windows and reinstall it. Apple / Mac seems like a perfect choice for me.