E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Are some people just born bad? Nature vs. Nurture

01-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Are some people just born bad? Nature vs. Nurture

Just curious what you guys think?

Do you think some people are just born bad? Like serial killers.

Do you think that it's different to shoot someone and kill them, vs. torture them and do a bunch of sick stuff?

Or do you think that it's their experiences that shaped who they are?

Do you think someone who is "bad" can become "good?"

Do you think that someone who has horrible experiences can live a normal life? Like if someone was kept in a cage until they were 10 or something?

Some say the topic is pointless, as it's both. But just for the sake of discussion, what do you think?

Kinda odd topic,
      01-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

1. no
2. yes
3. i guess
4. maybe
5. depends on how horrible the experience was, id say
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Do you think some people are just born bad? Like serial killers.

Do you think that it's different to shoot someone and kill them, vs. torture them and do a bunch of sick stuff?

Or do you think that it's their experiences that shaped who they are?

Do you think someone who is "bad" can become "good?"
1.Yes, they are mentally fucked. It requires a massive degree of insanity to do this unless in the name of realistic self defense.
2. Killing with guns makes it easier to do it without really feeling the weight of your crime. Killing with your hands brings much more remorse and regret, or at least generates much more thought reactions to the deed of killing someone. it becomes more personal, to make my point simple.
3. It can be both the circumstances in which they are raised to feel that its normal, but in reality they are considered monsters. they are sheltered from that fact, or cant comprehend that. also it could just be a mental disorder they had from day one or was shaped throughout their life at some point.
4. rarely, its unlikely. less than 2 percent success rate i would assume. they are all nutters to be quite honest.
      01-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Probably no completely good.
5. I'd say so, a lot of bad stuff happens in life. Can't let that stop you, you have to get up and keep moving on.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

No. I believe everyone has free choice to do good or bad, unless you are born with mental problems.

Yes. Both are still bad, torture is worse though.

Yes. I believe some people are so fucked in the head by experiences they cannot control themselves and probably start to lose a sense of right/wrong. How to know if someone is in such a bad state though? Who knows...

Yes. It's possible. Everyone will always have faults but I know that even murderers can change themselves for the better.

Not 100% normal. Childhood experiences always lead to some problems like fear of commitment etc. but if you are strong enough and your circumstances favour you in the future you can get it past it and be successfull.

Odd, but interesting topic.
      01-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

IMO, it's about the interface of nurture and nature. Sometimes nurture dominates, sometimes nature dominates, but the two always work together to shape a person.
      01-31-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Nurture definitely plays a large part in a persons live but I think nature carries a heavier hand. Serial killers have had brain scans that have shown certain parts of their brains being overworked while others that would normally tell a person not to do something dont respond as a normal individuals would. Theres been a lot of research invested into the neuro workings of serial killers.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

I think it's almost like a switch all people have somewhere in the brain. For the vast majority of us it lies dormant, but for some people either events or nature turn the switch to the on position. A little bit of both I guess. That the potential is there theoretically for anyone, but it needs something to activate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
I think it's almost like a switch all people have somewhere in the brain. For the vast majority of us it lies dormant, but for some people either events or nature turn the switch to the on position. A little bit of both I guess. That the potential is there theoretically for anyone, but it needs something to activate it.
+1

factually speaking, some individuals are much more prone to mental illness than most, where it takes significantly less stress to trigger the mental meltdown. Like people who have these higher chances of being crazy (i.e hereditary inheritance), they are the ones who give off postal(not literally) behavior wen drugged.
      01-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
One of the professors at FSU is one of the leading researchers in the country on the matter. A really nice read into the subject: http://www.rinr.fsu.edu/issues/2009f...eature02_a.asp
      01-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Yes. In my experience of dealing with people at their worst, there are some that are just bad from the word go. Great families, great home lives, etc. Complete tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My cousin has taken some of those brain scans of people who are considered sociopathic, and her comment was that their brains looked like swiss cheese, almost like an Alzheimer's scan.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Stewie Griffin???
      02-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

1. Yes, sometimes. I believe in a mixture between nature and nurture. Sometimes, people are just born so "flawed" that it is difficult to impossible to change.
2. Yes, there's a difference. You can justify shooting someone as self defense, but there is no good justification to go that extra step and torture.
3. I believe life experiences are a greater influence on a person's perception more than what they are born with.
4. Yes, there is always potential for change.
5. It's possible they can live a life close to what most people consider "normal" but it would take time to unlearn previous experiences. Also, I would consider living a "normal" lifestyle, vs feeling "normal" as different things.
Appreciate 0