E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Tips on getting out of jury duty?

01-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #45
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

What happens if you simply just don't go?
      01-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #46
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
wear this t shirt

Name:  FTP.gif
Views: 471
Size:  5.9 KB

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #47
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
I was under the impression they usually let college kids off....I had jury duty about 3 yrs ago...I was still a full-time student in college. This was during the summer mind you, so I very well could have sat in on the case. The judge let me and all of the other students off.
haven't read all 3 pages, but +1 to this. Check with your state laws/restrictions on jury duty. Some states exempt full time students from jury duty (at least IL does). You can call up the courthouse to discuss it with them. They will, however, keep trying to get you in for jury duty (at least in my case).
      01-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #48
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E90 View Post
What happens if you simply just don't go?
I definitely wouldn't do this ^. They will fine you and could issue a summons for your arrest!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #49
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

a warrant goes out for u
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #50
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Tip for getting out of jury duty.

Get convicted of a few felonies.

It worked for me! Haven't gotten one of those annoying summonses since I was released on parole.

But if I ever do get one and have to serve on a jury I am voting "Guilty".

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #51
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I forgot to reply to this thread but yea unfortunately I was chosen as a juror to serve in the court

You would think the professors would be sympathetic to my case but this wasn't the case. Out of the 5 professors, 2 were somewhat sympathetic and allowed me to postpone my assignments to a later date but not quizzes but they just removed them from the overall points so my total will be XXX/250 rather than XXX/300. The other one was not and fortunately for me, we got a "freebie" quiz where if we missed one, they would drop the lowest score. Now instead of having a get out of jail free card I get nothing since it's used up for that jury service.

Also you may seem like it's melodramatic but missing a month of school can and will be a major factor in whether u pass a class or not. Having to take another semester because you're falling behind and you feel like you have to drop so you don't get a D or F in the class is a pretty legitimate reason. I was lucky the actual trial took only a week but from what the other jurors have told me, they have been in the process of jury selection for over 2 weeks by the time they got to where I was, so I was lucky in that respect but had I actually been made to serve for 3 weeks, I'm pretty sure there is no way I'm going to be able to stay in my classes. That's pretty much already 1/3 of the entire class and would mean I would be absent for pretty much all material covered in the first midterm.

Fail a midterm in college and it's pretty much game over

Btw being a student doesn't really get you out of anything but lying does. Say you're going to be impartial to the defendant/prosecutor because you're sensitive to this topic is 100% guaranteed to get you excused.

@Zeph - You clearly don't understand how jury selection USED to be. Before the new system was implemented, they had about a jury selection pool three times bigger than now and all you needed was a valid reason to get out of jury duty and people who could afford to stay in jury duty were selected. System worked fine then, I don't see why they can't excuse students who are arguably more inconvenienced than housewives who miss out on making dinner and picking up their kids from kindergarten or older citizens who have much less responsibilities.

I have certain circumstances in my life that makes this even more inconvenient. got a job lined up which would have to be pushed back a couple of months because i dropped a semester is not something i want to have to say considering how easy it is to pick another student just like me who is more than willing to take it.

I think recognizing a flaw in your own legal system is more than valid reason to refuse to participate in it..what other reason would you need then to refute the practice of your flawed legal system?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #52
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
I forgot to reply to this thread but yea unfortunately I was chosen as a juror to serve in the court

You would think the professors would be sympathetic to my case but this wasn't the case. Out of the 5 professors, 2 were somewhat sympathetic and allowed me to postpone my assignments to a later date but not quizzes but they just removed them from the overall points so my total will be XXX/250 rather than XXX/300. The other one was not and fortunately for me, we got a "freebie" quiz where if we missed one, they would drop the lowest score. Now instead of having a get out of jail free card I get nothing since it's used up for that jury service.

Also you may seem like it's melodramatic but missing a month of school can and will be a major factor in whether u pass a class or not. Having to take another semester because you're falling behind and you feel like you have to drop so you don't get a D or F in the class is a pretty legitimate reason. I was lucky the actual trial took only a week but from what the other jurors have told me, they have been in the process of jury selection for over 2 weeks by the time they got to where I was, so I was lucky in that respect but had I actually been made to serve for 3 weeks, I'm pretty sure there is no way I'm going to be able to stay in my classes. That's pretty much already 1/3 of the entire class and would mean I would be absent for pretty much all material covered in the first midterm.

Fail a midterm in college and it's pretty much game over

Btw being a student doesn't really get you out of anything but lying does. Say you're going to be impartial to the defendant/prosecutor because you're sensitive to this topic is 100% guaranteed to get you excused.

@Zeph - You clearly don't understand how jury selection USED to be. Before the new system was implemented, they had about a jury selection pool three times bigger than now and all you needed was a valid reason to get out of jury duty and people who could afford to stay in jury duty were selected. System worked fine then, I don't see why they can't excuse students who are arguably more inconvenienced than housewives who miss out on making dinner and picking up their kids from kindergarten or older citizens who have much less responsibilities.

I have certain circumstances in my life that makes this even more inconvenient. got a job lined up which would have to be pushed back a couple of months because i dropped a semester is not something i want to have to say considering how easy it is to pick another student just like me who is more than willing to take it.

I think recognizing a flaw in your own legal system is more than valid reason to refuse to participate in it..what other reason would you need then to refute the practice of your flawed legal system?
You think that's bad. My cousins wife died and one of his professors wouldn't change anything to accommodate his schedule. The rest did. Now that's a bitch-ass-cunt.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #53
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
lol its hard to get out of it..