E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > motorola droid or iphone 3gs?

02-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #23
tuned2ride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, S5 SB, looking for a M340

Question about the iphone. Will ANY 3GS of the latest generation work on a HSDPA network, given the proper SIM card?

I want to replace my Palm Treo 650 with it.... I was appalled by the high price... but then the recent HTC HD2/Passion is even higher. The iphone has proven its value.... I will miss that keyboard.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #24
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I'm actually trying to decide between Droid and N1. I'm currently on T-Mo and have been fine with their service all these years. They just have been slow to roll out 3G but now have it in most major cities. I got to play with a N1 briefly when I had dinner with my sis and her bf but that was it. I don't like how T-Mobile stores, at least the ones near me, don't/can't have a N1 for potential customers to play with. I dont like the idea of just having to order it near blindly. Awesome marketing. I'd like a GSM phone, but there are no other GSM phones on T-Mo that seem worth getting. I have a Curve thru work so I don't want one for my personal use. Kinda leaning towards the Droid but am still undecided. The only thing I know is that I will not buy an iphone.
      02-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #25
T7R_Sky
"I know you know that I know you know..."
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E90 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [0.00]
In my opinion, the Droid failed as an "iPhone killer" because realistically it just isnt better than the 3gs. If you want a phone that "may" be better, you should be looking at the Google Nexus One. Ive seen the Droid and wasnt impressed. I havent seen the Nexus, but the specs make it seem better.

But its hard to beat the iPhone. Especially a jailbroken one that can do basically anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #26
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Right now, its hard to tell if some of the problems reported with the N1 are due to the phone or T-Mobile tweaking its network. Some of the issues I've read about with the N1 make me reluctant to jump in. It's got a great screen and all, but it seems to underutilize all the juice its got under the hood. I think the N1 is the failed iPhone killer....that's what it was largely touted as...well...except the fail part. lol I only ever saw the Droid advertised as a magical Android phone above all the others. The only iPhone comparisons I saw about WRT Droid were fanboys online. That's just my opinion, though....based on what I've seen and heard. I can't say I keep a superclose ear to the ground when it comes to cell/smart phones, though.

My thought was to get Droid on a 1yr contract. I can get it for only $30 more than if I went with a 2yr contract. Phones are evolving so rapidly now anyways so I'd like some freedom....just wish we got the Milestone here.
      02-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T7R_Sky View Post
In my opinion, the Droid failed as an "iPhone killer" because realistically it just isnt better than the 3gs. If you want a phone that "may" be better, you should be looking at the Google Nexus One. Ive seen the Droid and wasnt impressed. I havent seen the Nexus, but the specs make it seem better.

But its hard to beat the iPhone. Especially a jailbroken one that can do basically anything.
The Nexus One hardware is great (better than the iPhone in many ways), but hardware alone doesn't make a good device. Google's Android software has a long way to go before it's as good as the iPhone OS and that's what prevents it from being better than the iPhone. The iPhone's biggest weakness right now is AT&T's network. Lucky for me, I use my iPhone 95% as a mobile internet communication device and not so much as a phone.

If Apple is using their own chipset in the next iPhone, it's going to be huge. I have a good feeling the next gen iPhone + iPhone OS 4.0 is going to be years ahead of the competition (and a huge improvement over the 3GS).

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0