E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > C6 Corvette vs 335i

Closed Thread

02-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #111
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
I didnt call all BMW drivers badge whores (although, if you took it personally i guess its like shouting out HEY STUPID and seeing who turns around... )
Nice try - but if you make a general brand-specific comment in a forum that is exclusive to that brand, it is likely you are making a comment to the forum members. . .

Quote:
However for the purpose of THIS comparison, BMW has nothing that can match up to the Vette. Doesnt matter what kind of V10 100K+ ///M they stamp on the thing.
All of which is your opinion.

So go along now and get off to class before you have to get a hall pass - and when you're old enough to actually drive, you can think about getting that M Coupe. In the meantime, here are some forums that might have more folks like you:

http://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/

http://www.yugofanclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

http://www.geometroforum.com

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #112
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

don't feed the troll....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #113
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
don't feed the troll....
I know, I know - but sometimes its just so hard to resist. . .

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #114
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Dont be pissed because you couldnt even afford a 3 series.
How do you know what I can afford? I could have bought anything I wanted, including an M3, or a Z06, or a GT500KR, or a Viper - and the option I got that I like best is the no-monthly-payment option.

Must resist - even though I can hold my own in an a$$hole contest

Have Fun,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #115
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Sweet, this is never going to end...

02-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #116
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Sigh, BMW's and corvettes are two different kind of cars. People buy a BMW for certain reasons and people buy 'Vettes for other reasons. Why? Because they both drive differently and give the driver different experiences. The 'Vette is a sports car and the BMW is a sports sedan/coupe/roadster. You can't technically directly compare them.

I will say this though. Even if you don't personally like the 'Vette, anyone that degrades it for some odd reason( it uses leaf springs! It has an 800 liter V8! The V8 is a pushrod, etc) ignoring what it can do performance for the money wise, etc is the real ignorant one.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #117
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I will say this though. Even if you don't personally like the 'Vette, anyone that degrades it for some odd reason( it uses leaf springs! It has an 800 liter V8! The V8 is a pushrod, etc) ignoring what it can do performance for the money wise, etc is the real ignorant one.

I 'm not attracted to the fact that it uses leafsprings and has a big old school V8...does that make me a ignorant person? I love high tech machinery and I love the Corvette.Just like that.

Even though a ZR1 laps the Nordschleife in 7:42.99 and a Ferrari F430F1 does it in 7:55 I'd still choose the Ferrari till the day I die(just saving money a bit longer) Because for about half of the price of a C6 you can buy a good old Subaru Impreza GTT, tune it and blow any Corvette to smithereens. Easily.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #118
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

MVF4Rrider
BTW, leaf springs in F1. I hope that was just a joke on your part. Ever heard of a wishbone suspension with T bars, dampers, and coil springs? My god! Go back to entry-level land...please and thank you.

I think what he's referring to is that the:
"carbon fiber suspension arms are directly mounted to the tub via titanium fixtures: there are no Heim joints, the suspension movement being accomplished by flexure."

VERY similar to a leaf spring.
The quote was taken from Car and Driver, March 2009 written by Mark Gillies who drove a Honda F1 car in that issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #119
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
MVF4Rrider
BTW, leaf springs in F1. I hope that was just a joke on your part. Ever heard of a wishbone suspension with T bars, dampers, and coil springs? My god! Go back to entry-level land...please and thank you.

I think what he's referring to is that the:
"carbon fiber suspension arms are directly mounted to the tub via titanium fixtures: there are no Heim joints, the suspension movement being accomplished by flexure."

VERY similar to a leaf spring.
The quote was taken from Car and Driver, March 2009 written by Mark Gillies who drove a Honda F1 car in that issue.
You should also note that those are only the front arms. The rear is bolted to the engine or transmission, or a combo of both; I haven't followed F1 tech for years.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #120
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes... one can buy any car for any amount of money... and they choose... the 135i

The Corvette is a different type of car than anything BMW offers... but it also offers superior performance to anything BMW offers. If you want a Car that delivers the comfort of the BMW but with better performance for the price of a Corvette id hold out for the CTS-V.
I'm glad you find it amusing - so get a good look at the front of mine if you ever see it, 'cause you'll mostly be looking at the taillights - No BS about it, wait and see.

CTS-V a fine car in its own right, but I'm not the right ethnicity for it where I live. Cadillac has to deal with its heritage just as Corvette does.

Have Fun,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #121
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
---- A really inappropriate image was posted - even though the humor is understood ----
Really not cool. . .

Have Fun,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #122
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
You should also note that those are only the front arms. The rear is bolted to the engine or transmission, or a combo of both; I haven't followed F1 tech for years.

The rear has a similar arrangement. In no way is there anything even close to a leaf spring arrangement.

Last edited by MVF4Rrider; 02-10-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #123
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:
Wow, that's a statement, ask footie for example I know a bit about cars.

But thanks anyway!

Cheers Robin.
I was just joking mate. Don't take it personally. 99% of the time, I am just having a go on here.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #124
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
newsong is a non-BMW-fanboy lol
I'm not a fanboy of any car. I admit the BMW 3 Series is a standard of its class by which all others are judged. But can it beat a Vette on a track stock for stock? Not a chance.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #125
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
So did you decide on the Corvette then NewSong?
I haven't had time to go car shopping since I gave the E92 away. I'm probably going to test drive some cars this weekend though. This 110HP motor is killing my excitement.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #126
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
I didnt call all BMW drivers badge whores (although, if you took it personally i guess its like shouting out HEY STUPID and seeing who turns around... )

Im just saying its hard to compare cars with them. They have some 'invisible force' that they feel accompanies all BMW's at all times, that needs to be factored into every comparison resulting in a BMW win despite poor performance.

The M3 CSL was a limited edition high performance model which was only made once where they took out everything but the passenger's seat to save weight. An unrealistic streetcar at best. And it BARELY beat a stock Corvette in the base form and was beaten by every STOCK corvette in every other form.

Im on this forum because im a car enthusiast and i love all different types of cars. Specifically what first attracted me to this forum was my interest in the M coupe and im potentially going to buy one. However for the purpose of THIS comparison, BMW has nothing that can match up to the Vette. Doesnt matter what kind of V10 100K+ ///M they stamp on the thing.
+10000

Gator sounds like a 6SpeedOnline poster. I bet you are too.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #127
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:

AND that's all some of us are trying to say. But you get guys in here like Robin Hood and his other BMW boyfriends who think "Hey, he's pointing out that the C6 Vette would crush my E92 M3 which I spent a lot of money for, he must be insulting me personally!"

That's the attitude of a fanboy and it's ridiculous. I love the E92 M3, but would it beat the C6 STOCK w/ a manual transmission? Not a chance. It's simply reality, not blind love for a brand.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #128
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
AND that's all some of us are trying to say. But you get guys in here like Robin Hood and his other BMW boyfriends who think "Hey, he's pointing out that the C6 Vette would crush my E92 M3 which I spent a lot of money for, he must be insulting me personally!"

That's the attitude of a fanboy and it's ridiculous. I love the E92 M3, but would it beat the C6 STOCK w/ a manual transmission? Not a chance. It's simply reality, not blind love for a brand.

It has beaten the C6 on Hockenheim.
1:14.2 E92 M3
1:14.8 C6

Enjoy your Ford Focus and thanks for being so nice to me.I really appreciated that.
And if you buy a C6(R roflol!)/Z06 please tell us. I would do like this, my master
and obey you forever on the internet because your wisdom is beyond logic.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #129
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Oh, I just got a message from the mods here. There is going to be a new subforum and it's called: "Ask NewSong"

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #130
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I've not driven a C6, but all the pros say it's as much of a daily driver's car as our BMWs. I think the interior and fit/finish may be sub par coming from a BMW. But I would bet you'll forget about that the moment you do a WOT run in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #131
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
But you get guys in here like Robin Hood and his other BMW boyfriends who think "Hey, he's pointing out that the C6 Vette would crush my E92 M3 which I spent a lot of money for, he must be insulting me personally!"
You told me I was lying, NewSong. I didn't start it.

Cheers
Robin

PS read my posts, I never said I didn't like the Corvette in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #132
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
I 'm not attracted to the fact that it uses leafsprings and has a big old school V8...does that make me a ignorant person? I love high tech machinery and I love the Corvette.Just like that.

Even though a ZR1 laps the Nordschleife in 7:42.99 and a Ferrari F430F1 does it in 7:55 I'd still choose the Ferrari till the day I die.
Those number are wrong. I think you mistook the Z06's time for the ZR1's time. The ZR1 lapped the ring in 7:26 seconds, which is almost 30 seconds faster than a F430 (and only .5 seconds slower than the Enzo)! I know you can't put a price on prestige, but 30 seconds is huge difference. And you should try driving a Z06, as it doesn't feel "low tech" at all. Personally, I wouldn't care if it had salmonella laced peanut butter sandwiches for the suspension and a lawnmower engine if its a world class performer and has great feel. But that's just me.

But take a minute to think about that... a 65k Corvette beats a $150k Ferrari around the Ring by 12 seconds and your are fussing about the suspension. It sounds like the suspension is doing just fine.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread