E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Manual wheel on a paddle shifter automatic

09-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
trope
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sport

Question Manual wheel on a paddle shifter automatic

Hey guys, new to these forums.
Got a used '07 335i a few months back and the steering wheel had always bothered me.. I just didn't like the grip and even though I have the paddle shifter sport package I still just didn't like the grip itself. Below is the original wheel:

I found this M3 manual wheel on ebay and loved the perforated leather sides, so I copped it. I quadruple checked compatibility and ensured it was the correct airbag, etc. This is the image of the new wheel

I noticed it was the manual wheel without paddle shifters, but I honestly don't use the shifters anyway so I thought them unnecessary, however my mechanic says I need the shifters plugged in or I will get a transmission fault...
So now I'm stuck with this wheel and apparently I cant use it because of the paddles

Anyone know of a way to trick the system into thinking the paddle shifters are there? Or disabling something in the system so it won't throw a fault?

I really love this wheel but couldn't find it in a version with paddles or space for paddles.

If I have to sell it I will but I at least would like to find another wheel like this one with the paddles then

Thanks for any help!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Mturbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92, '10 SL63

Search the forum for guys that do coding and ask them. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

It should be fine. Car will work as normal (just without paddles obviously).
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

These M3 and M-tech wheels are available with the shifter cut outs. I'd sell this one off and get the right one. Easier in the long run and no issues to deal with.
      09-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
trope
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
These M3 and M-tech wheels are available with the shifter cut outs. I'd sell this one off and get the right one. Easier in the long run and no issues to deal with.
Hmm I can't seem to find one with the shifter cutouts on ebay or anywhere else online

All i see is the tri-color stitched M3 wheel, no perforated M-Tech wheels with shifters/cutouts
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by trope View Post
Hmm I can't seem to find one with the shifter cutouts on ebay or anywhere else online

All i see is the tri-color stitched M3 wheel, no perforated M-Tech wheels with shifters/cutouts
That's just a current situation. eBay is where I got mine. You can always advertise your Want here on the parts for sale forum.

Check this one out: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873820
      09-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

just get one w/ holes
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
bjc1973
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: space grey e92 335d

Sorry it's off topic but the wheel in the first picture with the paddle shift,is that a sport wheel and will the airbag from that fit on the m sport perforated wheel. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
trope
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc1973 View Post
Sorry it's off topic but the wheel in the first picture with the paddle shift,is that a sport wheel and will the airbag from that fit on the m sport perforated wheel. Cheers
yep the stock wheel in my first pic is the sport wheel from the sport package addon.

& the airbag will fit into the perforated wheel
Appreciate 0