E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Still want an EV?

Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #8163
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Good luck London.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #8164
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Good luck London.
Nope, the news is bad for London.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 08:35 AM   #8165
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
To start the week off:
Electric Car, Sitting In Driveway, Burns House
05/02/2024
Firefighters were able to eventually extinguish the fire, but you can see in video footage the car was gutted. It’s safe to say the EV, whatever brand it was, is a total loss.

Appreciate 1
      Today, 08:40 AM   #8166
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Electric car driver turned away from hospital car park
A father who was taking his child to Alder Hey hospital in Liverpool says he was turned away from the car park because he was driving an electric vehicle (EV).

Paul Freeman-Powell said he was told to park next to nearby grass because his car "could explode."
The hospital says it has temporarily banned access to the car park while it improves its sprinkler system.

Lots of good anti ICE quotes for those so inclined, It is the BBC of course.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c90zjne2v0jo
Appreciate 1
      Today, 08:57 AM   #8167
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Electric car driver turned away from hospital car park
A father who was taking his child to Alder Hey hospital in Liverpool says he was turned away from the car park because he was driving an electric vehicle (EV).

Paul Freeman-Powell said he was told to park next to nearby grass because his car "could explode."
The hospital says it has temporarily banned access to the car park while it improves its sprinkler system.

Lots of good anti ICE quotes for those so inclined, It is the BBC of course.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c90zjne2v0jo
The sprinklers will stop the ICE parked next to the EV from burning, mostly. It won't do a damn thing to put the EV out. It might protect the concrete from suffering catastrophic structural failure.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 09:05 AM   #8168
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Since I have been driving my BigControlSystem for over a year I haven’t had to get gasoline. I finally had to pump gas again today (for my wife). Not a big deal. But, I don’t miss it. Really love home charging.
So, I’ll just pose this question again. I have yet to see it addressed. What would be your plan for charging if you lived in a vintage apartment/condominium building in Chicago and you only had street parking and you parked in a different place every time you drove your car? My guesstimation is this applies to at least 50% of the cars in the city of Chicago.
Attached Images

member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Today, 09:07 AM   #8169
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

You wonder how many times he can take a large steaming dump on his Teslaites before they say no thanks.

Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) CEO Elon Musk said that the company is working to get approvals to add more range for its older rear-wheel-drive (RWD) Model Y SUV vehicles for an extra fee.

His announcement came as the company launched a new version of its long-range RWD in the U.S. at an estimated range of 320 miles, the longest in the Model Y lineup. The latest variant replaces the previous entry-level Model Y RWD, which had a range of only 260 miles.

However, owners of older RWD vehicles can get another 40 to 60 miles of range for $1500 to $2000, Elon Musk said on his X platform, adding that the company is working to get approvals to implement the change.

He noted that the pay-to-unlock facility will apply for vehicles built "over the past several months" and depends on the type of battery employed in the 260-mile Model Y. "We have to pay the bills somehow," Musk said as the reason for the extra charge.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 09:56 AM   #8170
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Nope, the news is bad for London.
Just caught up on my news watching and you guys are so screwed. At least we have the availability of concealed carry,
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:00 AM   #8171
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
The sprinklers will stop the ICE parked next to the EV from burning, mostly. It won't do a damn thing to put the EV out. It might protect the concrete from suffering catastrophic structural failure.
I still expect the real issue with EV parking structures is low ceilings limiting the proper clearance for the right fire equipment for controlling EV fires. Not to mention need for ventilation from toxic out gassing from burning LiPo's.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:10 AM   #8172
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
You wonder how many times he can take a large steaming dump on his Teslaites before they say no thanks.
Love him or hate him Elon Musk has played this EV thing like stradivarius violin playing Beethoven. Like the fictional Hydra "If a head is cut off, two more shall take its place," Still his biggest profit is from selling carbon credits to other manufactures who them pass then on to their customers in the form of higher prices.

If I had to buy a EV tomorrow it would be a Tesla. (it would take a gun to my head to accomplish this task)
Appreciate 1
      Today, 10:50 AM   #8173
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
So, I’ll just pose this question again. I have yet to see it addressed. What would be your plan for charging if you lived in a vintage apartment/condominium building in Chicago and you only had street parking and you parked in a different place every time you drove your car? My guesstimation is this applies to at least 50% of the cars in the city of Chicago.
This issue has been raised numerous times on this thread (I know I've brought it up quite a few times) as its not just an issue in Chicago but most large cities will have this exact problem.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:10 PM   #8174
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
This issue has been raised numerous times on this thread (I know I've brought it up quite a few times) as its not just an issue in Chicago but most large cities will have this exact problem.
And yet it’s never been answered.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Today, 02:40 PM   #8175
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Yeah there's no real answer for this. A colleague has a townhouse but no garages in this development, just a common shared parking lot around the block with two spots in front of each place. The length of cable needed for EV charging would be excessive leading to inefficient charging, and the cable would just get stolen for the raw copper value. Not feasible for him.

Orders of magnitude more public fast chargers? That would help, but that's not how you should be recharging these batteries all the time either. (They don't care.) Forcing developers to put in Level 2 charging everywhere? They'll just forward the cost it into rent/leases, making them even less affordable than they already are. (They also don't care.)

The true answer is that the people at the top don't care. They don't want you to be able to go anywhere or be able to charge. With any luck, EV fires will burn down entire cities, in which case they'll finally be able to rebuild from the ground up with their dreams of 15 minute cities, where you'll be eating the bugs and living in pods. You'll own nothing and be happy, jacked up on their pharma concoctions.
      Today, 03:34 PM   #8176
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
I’ve posted stuff before on this. It’s not my problem and I’m happy with my setup. I’ll let society figure this out. I’m a nephrologist so my skills are deployed in patient care.
Appreciate 0