E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > More good news regarding the price of oil!

05-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #23
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

so now we need a mod to turn down the boost lol
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #24
ZBMW
Black Forest Bimmerphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

As I recall a recent Car & Driver editorial explained, in Europe they refine more diesel than petrol out of a barrel, at the expense of less yield per gallon per barrel. They had been exporting some of their petrol to the U.S. That's not happening anymore. We refine more petrol than diesel out a barrel and would have a difficult time supplying more diesel engines.
What he said was diesel is not the answer. Good article.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #25
ClarkGriswold
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, Audi Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBMW View Post
As I recall a recent Car & Driver editorial explained, in Europe they refine more diesel than petrol out of a barrel, at the expense of less yield per gallon per barrel. They had been exporting some of their petrol to the U.S. That's not happening anymore. We refine more petrol than diesel out a barrel and would have a difficult time supplying more diesel engines.
What he said was diesel is not the answer. Good article.
That was a very good article.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #26
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

We need to take over Venezuela!!! Take no prisoners!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #27
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_335i View Post
Not sure why but I'm starting to think that bringing diesels to the US now is not going to be a big hit for consumers. Diesel is about $4.40 and premium is $3.90 around me. That is a .50 cents difference. Their is no way on earth a diesel is going to get greater then a .50 cents difference in MPG for me to switch to a diesel and if you are coming from a car that uses regular you are looking at a .70 cents difference. Diesel are not going to be a big hit in the US if this trend continues. I would not be surprised if this continues that car companies discontinue bringing diesel's to the US and focus more on electric/gas hybrids.
Around here, diesel has been about $.50 more per gallon for a long time. It just seems like it's more because it's well over $4/gal. But stop and think - $.50/gal is a much smaller percentage at $4/gal than at $2/gal. Diesel starts to make more sense as the price goes up and the gap holds.

As more refining capacity is devoted to diesel, the price will likely come down, in a truly free market (which we don't have in fuel at the moment). Plus, you get more diesel fuel than gasoline per barrel of crude, so it is a more efficient use of a barrel.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #28
Aces_High
Germans do it Best
Rep
Drives: 328i e90+92 , 335i e92,MB E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold View Post
er, even though more is being produced.

The only way this is going to get better is if the government does their job. The oil companies are working with each other to create a monopoly on this industry. It is the responsiblity of the those that "lead" us to end this issue, just as the government has in the past. They need to break up the monopoly on the industry, but this will never happen as long as those in power have monetary gain tied to the oil industry, and I am not even anti-Bush. I just think there is a severe conflict of interest that exists there.

Those are my two cents.
Umm those who lead us??? I dunno about you but I never remember giving the nod for any of these clowns in government to "lead" us. When you say "those in power" umm again they are elected representatives not leaders......tsk tsk this war on terror shit has really gotten people thinking ass backwards.....
Not to flame on you bro.....but the strong point of the States used to be that we didnt have leaders.......i dunno how or when they masses began confusing elected public offices as "leadership posts"......

But the recent rage in gas prices has had plenty of positive benefits, and personally I love the fact that SUV's and trucks are sitting on dealership lots. Finally, I see less and less of these over sized pieces of shit clogging the interstates and city streets. I cant stand seeing a 6-7 thousand pound SUV rolling down the interstate with one fucking passenger......
One of the best benefits of high gas prices......people have stopped thinking with their ass when it comes to transportation.
      05-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #29
ClarkGriswold
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, Audi Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces_High View Post
Umm those who lead us??? I dunno about you but I never remember giving the nod for any of these clowns in government to "lead" us. When you say "those in power" umm again they are elected representatives not leaders......tsk tsk this war on terror shit has really gotten people thinking ass backwards.....
Not to flame on you bro.....but the strong point of the States used to be that we didnt have leaders.......i dunno how or when they masses began confusing elected public offices as "leadership posts"......

But the recent rage in gas prices has had plenty of positive benefits, and personally I love the fact that SUV's and trucks are sitting on dealership lots. Finally, I see less and less of these over sized pieces of shit clogging the interstates and city streets. I cant stand seeing a 6-7 thousand pound SUV rolling down the interstate with one fucking passenger......
One of the best benefits of high gas prices......people have stopped thinking with their ass when it comes to transportation.
It is what it is. You can call them "elected representatives" all you want if that is what makes you feel great, and I understand that is how it is "suppose" to be, but you are naive to think that is how it is.

In reference to the "leading" comment you had, as much as we don't like it, we have to rely on these politicians to do there job and break up the oil monoploy. In that respect, they are our leader, because we can't physically do it. Leader doesn't mean dictator.

If things ran the way they are suppose to run, you would be right, but unfortunately we have to rely on others to do what is right. But with big oil padding their pockets, it won't happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #30
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

I feel that we, America should invade an oil producing country......

Oh wait, we already did that.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #31
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
I feel that we, America should invade an oil producing country......

Oh wait, we already did that.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #32
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
Nice thinly veiled political swipe at Obama, but utter bullshit.
Do you honestly think that the next president, regardless of who he or she is, would continue to "negotiate" if Iran pulled off such a stupid move?
Yup. Just like Jimmy Carter did. What did Jimmy Carter do about Iran? Talk!

I think McCain would glass 'em but I'm sure not betting the ranch he'll win.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #33
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

$132.27 and counting....

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy/

$140 for the summer... $150.... $160 ??? = $4.50-5.25-6.00

ugh

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #34
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post

I think McCain would glass 'em but I'm sure not betting the ranch he'll win.
Would he? Do you think we should just go take their oil, no matter the cost of life on our side and theirs?
      05-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #35
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

just saw this article... http://stanleybing.blogs.fortune.cnn...-barrel-crude/
      05-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #36
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

My point, in regard to the price of diesel, was that diesel used to be about 10% less per gallon than gasoline (circa 2005). Now (2008) it is about 10-15% more. This price change is not explicable as a result of changed taxes or supply & demand.

FWIW, a 335d gets about 30% better fuel economy than a 335i. At todays prices, a diesel is less expensive to run even at a $.50 premium over gas.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #37
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Nice - there is BMW content in that photo!
      05-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #38
MontegoDad
Montego Daddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i - Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
And we can't get the 320d because???

Anyone have a definitive answer as to why the price of diesel has gone up so sharply? I understand that the low sulfur refining is more costly, but it still should be less than gas. The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that BMW/VW/MB would sell a zillion diesels, whereas GM, Ford, etc. have been caught with their pants down. Again. So the petro distributors have to save their butts by making diesel costly.
It has to do with our refineries. In the states our oil refineries work differently than in Europe - and ours produce only 15% of the output is Diesel, whereas in Europe the process they use produces something like 40% diesel (or something like that).

Anyone else shed some light on this? I got this from an article in Car and Driver - perhaps there are details on their site?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #39
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_335i View Post
I know, I know.....
Appreciate 0