E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > OT: The Official UFC Chat Thread

02-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

OT: The Official UFC Chat Thread

Hey does anyone in here watch UFC? I'm a big fan of MMA and enjoy the entertainment value of fighting organisations such as UFC. I had the pleasure of attending UFC 110 in Sydney this past weekend. We got great seats and saw a great show, the Nogueira knockout was not expected but the Wanderlei fight had an epic finish. Fight of the day went to fellow Aussie George Sotiropoulos. I'm excited that UFC will be coming to Australia again.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Yeah I was really pissed about the nogueira knockout, lol. And I think that George Sot. is gonna be another GSP. He looked really impressive. And if Wand had pushed bisping the whole fight like he did at the end he would have knocked bisping out.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Yeah I agree about George Sotoripoulos but he has a long way to go before he's in the same league as GSP. Would love to see them fight though. GSP and Anderson Silva are both way too dominate in their class, I'm keen to see them fight each other that would be my dream matchup. Maybe at a catchweight? Wanderlei was really impressive, I'm sure he would have been nervous about getting knocked out, it was a make or break for him to stay alive in the UFC. He's lost a few recent fights. Velasquez was so dominant over Nogeuria he just seemed too fast and powerful too. I'm more excited to see Mirr take on Lesnar again, I think Mirr will beat Carwin. He looks like a new fighter at 265.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Wandy didn't really look that impressive to me. He's toned down the wild punching a bit and that surgery really has him looking strange to me. Cain Velasquez was the big story IMO. Seems quite humble and I knew Big Nog was getting a little too comfortable doing standup since he's had limited success with it. But Cain popped him really good.

So many good fights coming up...
      02-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I agree Wanderlei was struggling for form but he ended the 2nd round really well and the last 10 seconds of the 3rd brought back a lot of memories from his Pride days. There's not as much competition at 185 I think he'll make a statement and be a top contender. Wanderlei v Anderson will happen one day. I still don't know what to make of the Nogueira fight and where this leaves him in the UFC. I think if they had a rematch right now Velasquez would destroy him again and I think Lesnar would too. Maybe if Mirr loses to Carwin a Nogueria v Mirr rematch is in the making. I think Mirr will beat Carwin though. The Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight Division are the most exciting weight classes at the moment with the best fighters. UFC 110-115 looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Who's pumped for 112? Can't wait to see Anderson Silva do his thing again... haven't seen him in action since last August.

Got so excited when I read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...ki-silva040710
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
lacerdaschoon
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

It's going to be a ragingly good card easy ko for silva it's a given. I put 1k on silva, I just can't see Damien untangling the spiders web
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

+1 Silva!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Who's pumped for 112? Can't wait to see Anderson Silva do his thing again... haven't seen him in action since last August.

Got so excited when I read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...ki-silva040710
I think its dumb to put Silva against the jujitsu guy; didn't that guy get knocked out by a striker, easy win for the spider. Are you listening Joe Silva?

The heavyweights are looking good. Brock and Carwin will be a good fight, and then Cain and Junior both are on tares.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacerdaschoon View Post
It's going to be a ragingly good card easy ko for silva it's a given. I put 1k on silva, I just can't see Damien untangling the spiders web
Demian has no chance against his standup but don't count out his ground game. He'd be foolish to stand with Silva and I'd give him a a pretty decent chance if he can get him on the ground. I think it's a dangerous enough fight for Silva that I wouldn't bet on it, surely the reward is not worth the risk...
      04-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Silva is on another level nobody has been a serious threat to his belt for a long time. I can see Maia going for the takedown early but Silva will be ready for it and keep it on his feet. I think we'll see a few dance moves and a knockout before the 2nd minute.

I agree the Heavyweight looks like the best division at the moment. Few new rising stars but I think Carwin looks the most impressive. It'll be a good fight, I haven't seen anyone dish out punishment to Lesnar before. I think it'll end up being a wrestling match. Cain and Junior would be a great fight too but I think Cain would come out on top.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #12
lacerdaschoon
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Damiens ground game is wicked but I just can't see him taking down silva he isn't explosive or strong enough to do so. I think the gap in striking between the two is huge I don't think it will take many exchanges before silva produces the ko. Silva vs gsp would be huge in my opinion silva has the best striking and gsp the best ground game, I actually percieve gsp beating silva on points by simply taking him down and controling him for 3-5 rounds. I think gsp would have no problem taking silva down probably won't inflict much damage but he is a freak at getting u down and keeping u there. Gsp wouldn't want to stand with silva for a minute, it would be a very interesting fight hope it goes down in the next 12 months!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:45 AM   #13
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacerdaschoon View Post
Damiens ground game is wicked but I just can't see him taking down silva he isn't explosive or strong enough to do so. I think the gap in striking between the two is huge I don't think it will take many exchanges before silva produces the ko. Silva vs gsp would be huge in my opinion silva has the best striking and gsp the best ground game, I actually percieve gsp beating silva on points by simply taking him down and controling him for 3-5 rounds. I think gsp would have no problem taking silva down probably won't inflict much damage but he is a freak at getting u down and keeping u there. Gsp wouldn't want to stand with silva for a minute, it would be a very interesting fight hope it goes down in the next 12 months!
I agree with all your points. I think it comes down to whether Silva fights at 185 or drops to 175. I think GSP will have a harder time taking Silva down at 185 because Silva looks really dominant at that weight. At 175 Silva will lose a lot of KO power and may struggle with take down defence where GSP is so explosive. I think Silva has the psychological advantage though. Every time GSP is questioned about the matchup he looks intimidated and scared which is very unlike GSP. It wouldn't surprise me if Silva KO'd GSP and cemented himself as the best pound for pound in MMA today. It's a dream match up, lets home it happens because there has been a lot of talk about it lately. If you are going to call yourself the best pound for pound you really need to win this fight and win it definitely. Machida v Silva would be a fight I'd love to see too but unfortunately that fight will never happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I agree with all your points. I think it comes down to whether Silva fights at 185 or drops to 175. I think GSP will have a harder time taking Silva down at 185 because Silva looks really dominant at that weight. At 175 Silva will lose a lot of KO power and may struggle with take down defence where GSP is so explosive. I think Silva has the psychological advantage though. Every time GSP is questioned about the matchup he looks intimidated and scared which is very unlike GSP. It wouldn't surprise me if Silva KO'd GSP and cemented himself as the best pound for pound in MMA today. It's a dream match up, lets home it happens because there has been a lot of talk about it lately. If you are going to call yourself the best pound for pound you really need to win this fight and win it definitely. Machida v Silva would be a fight I'd love to see too but unfortunately that fight will never happen.
Not so sure about that.
Another good match to see is Silva vs. Shogun Rua.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
Not so sure about that.
Another good match to see is Silva vs. Shogun Rua.
I believe Silva is the best pound for pound, he's taken on everything thrown at him and handled with ease. He's fought at 170, 185 and 205 with success in each division. I think he should go where the good fighters are which is 205 at the moment. I think once he takes a few more big names he'll get the respect he deserves. Maia is not a good match up as you will see in the next couple days. Evans, Rampage, Lidell, Ortiz would all be great match ups to really test him out.

Shogun is the real deal. I look forward to seeing the rematch against Machida. I think Shogun executed a better fight strategy and caught Machida off guard that's why he put up such a good fight. He was the smarter fighter on the day. This time round Machida will be ready for it and it will be a close fight for sure. My money is on Machida.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I hope Shogun whoops on Machida again. He got robbed so badly on the last fight.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Lol we'll see what happens. Machida is the favourite going into this fight. I think Shogun had the better fight plan last time I don't know what else he could do this time. I have a feeling this fight will be a lot more aggressive from both sides. We may even see a KO.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
Hedges
Major General
Rep

I want to see Brock in action again!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

I got my money on Carwin because of his punching power. If it goes past round 1 it might get interesting. Round 1 or 2 win via KO Carwin in my prediction.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I can see Lesnar going straight for the takedown. He won't be wasting any time on his feet. I think whoever is on top will hold position and control the fight when on the ground. If it doesn't go past the 1st round this will definitely end in KO. Their hands are too heavy and if someone connects it's going to be all over.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
Hedges
Major General
Rep

Is Brock and Carwin the same size?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
Is Brock and Carwin the same size?
On paper, maybe, but not in real life. Carwin is big, but Brock is a freak.

IMO, Brock's chin is suspect. If you watch his fight with Mir, Mir actually hurt him before he later lost. Carwin is a bigger puncher than Mir, so if he catches Brock anything's possible.

Anyone watch the Aldo/Faber fight? Never seen Faber taken apart like that before, Aldo will hold the belt for a while.