E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > any HVAC experts here

05-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

any HVAC experts here

My AC is dead. Technician came out and tells me I have no more Freon. he suggested I get the unit tested for leak. So I agreed and he found the leak. The leak is locate on the compressor unit outside the house. One of the coil has a leak. Unit is a Carrier 3.5 cu in? It is six years old and warranty is only 5 years.

What are my options:

Can they patch the coil where the leak is (seems alot of work on the labor cost)

or buy a brand new unit (compressor and coil) $2065 parts and labor included.

help.

thanks for reading.
      05-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

I would get a quote to replace the leaky coil. It seems like an average price for replacing the coil, charging system with new refridgerant, and testing the unit will be around 650-750 $ Try to get some type of warranty on the work. Also try calling Carrier, tell them what the deal is and see if they will cover anything.
a few sites to look at-
allexperts.com
doityourself.com
hvacmechanic.com
      05-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
txusa03
Major General
Rep

The leak was confirmed in 3 ways: 1) mechanical device 2) evidence of oil builb-up 3) soapy water method as well.

They said the leak is in an area of the compressor coil that cannot be fix. Basically the unit came from the factory with a bad coil seal which gets worse overtime and since the warranty is only 5 years, I am out of luck.

I did called them back and told them since i am getting another carrier (return customer) would they give me a discount. Their manager said no. I can call Carrier but I doubt it would make any difference, all warranty are stated as is. I think I just take a hit this time and hope the new one has better quality. They said this is very rare and that is why these unit has the 5 yrs warranty. I think the heat is getting to my brain so I better not mess around and just get another one.

thanks for looking.
      05-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Call 3-4 HVAC places, compare quotes for replacing the coil, and for a new unit.

Check Carrier site for authorized repairmen.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
The leak was confirmed in 3 ways: 1) mechanical device 2) evidence of oil builb-up 3) soapy water method as well.

They said the leak is in an area of the compressor coil that cannot be fix. Basically the unit came from the factory with a bad coil seal which gets worse overtime and since the warranty is only 5 years, I am out of luck.

I did called them back and told them since i am getting another carrier (return customer) would they give me a discount. Their manager said no. I can call Carrier but I doubt it would make any difference, all warranty are stated as is. I think I just take a hit this time and hope the new one has better quality. They said this is very rare and that is why these unit has the 5 yrs warranty. I think the heat is getting to my brain so I better not mess around and just get another one.

thanks for looking.
why on earth would you buy another carier?????.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Call 3-4 HVAC places, compare quotes for replacing the coil, and for a new unit.

Check Carrier site for authorized repairmen.
they are authorized Carrier shop. In my town, basically all AC service will charge me $70-$75 for them to come out and take a look and evaluate my HVAC system.

Well, the Trane cost more, Lennox cost a little more then Carrier. I mean it is just a freak of nature that this happens. And all of them offer the same 5 yrs warranty.