E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Any advice for someone new to golfing? i.e, clubs, etc....

04-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
tron1043
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
2013 328i M-Sport  [0.00]
2012 F30 335i  [0.00]
Any advice for someone new to golfing? i.e, clubs, etc....

This spring I'm planning to start playing golf. I don't have much of a choice.

What are good brands for clubs? I'm sure that's dependent upon price. So, if there were an equivalent to good, better, and best golf clubs, then I would say that I would be willing to pay somewhere between better and best.

Same question goes for golf balls, clothing, all that stuff.
      04-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Take a lesson or three form a real pro... It'll make all the difference.

It's like jump starting your game.

Buy an inexpensive but decent set of clubs form an established shop. Get them sized to you and with a few lessons and some range time you should be good to go.

Just don't spend a crap load on a set of Ping's, Callaway, Nike etc... until you are pretty sure you are going to stick with it for the long term. You see lots of fresh clubs in the classifieds/Craigs list. Folks love to jump in with both feet, can be a costly error.

cheers.

Ask your pro's wherever you're shopping at what's going to work best for you, just remember to pretty much ignore advice from friends and coworkers, while listening to the folks that know...
      04-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
tron1043
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
2013 328i M-Sport  [0.00]
2012 F30 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post

Buy an inexpensive but decent set of clubs form an established shop. Get them sized to you and with a few lessons and some range time you should be good to go.

Just don't spend a crap load on a set of Ping's, Callaway, Nike etc... until you are pretty sure you are going to stick with it for the long term. You see lots of fresh clubs in the classifieds/Craigs list. Folks love to jump in with both feet, can be a costly error.

cheers.

Ask your pro's wherever you're shopping at what's going to work best for you, just remember to pretty much ignore advice from friends and coworkers, while listening to the folks that know...
I was definitely planning on lessons. Many lessons. What kind of shoes do you recommend? And as for not sticking with it, I don't really have a choice.
      04-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron1043 View Post
I was definitely planning on lessons. Many lessons. What kind of shoes do you recommend? And as for not sticking with it, I don't really have a choice.
The shoes don't matter that much. Buy what feels comfortable.

As for clubs I like the weighted ones. They have a good clean follow through and offer a larger sweet spot to hit the ball. I picked up a set of Taylormade rac OS2 late last summer and love them. They were a perfect mid-range set of clubs and there are many just like them.

I would recommend a driver with movable weights. Yes, your form and swing should be what controls where the ball goes, but the weights help a whole lot in the learning process to correct fades and slicing. Ones you correct your fade or slice the proper way you move the weights around and balance the driver head out.

The golfs balls matter. They matter A LOT. With the wrong balls you can really hurt your game. So to start by buying 3 ball sleeves instead of whole boxes. You can then play around and find which ball will suit your all around game and as you progress then you can begin carrying a few different balls for different parts of the game. Like a distance ball for driving, a soft ball for pitching, chipping and putting, etc.

Hope that helps.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
rocketman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
The shoes don't matter as long as you don't go cheap. I converted from a set of cheap shoes to some nice FootJoys and it made the game even more enjoyable and I would like to think it shaved off a stroke or two.

Good luck!
      04-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
The shoes don't matter as long as you don't go cheap. I converted from a set of cheap shoes to some nice FootJoys and it made the game even more enjoyable and I would like to think it shaved off a stroke or two.

Good luck!
You prolly shaved a stroke or two just by being more comfortable walking and standing. No don't go buy the $20. Just like any shoe, expect to pay between $60-100. If you got the cash to burn then buy a higher end shoe, it won't hurt your game like buying top of the line irons to start out.

Actually I just got a golf galaxy coupon for 20% of golf shoes. I bought a new pair in the fall so I won't be using it. I don't have it with me and would have to give you the details on it tomorrow, like if they exclude any brands, but if you want it PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

Also, personally I've been liking the Adidas golf gear. Their clothes and shoes just look a little more classy. Nike was trying to be to edgy lately. But the new Nike clothes seem to be going back to the basics. I bought last years Adidas Tour Metal II shoes, they were $120 a little pricey, but their sooo comfortable. I don't mind walking 18 in them at all.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post

cheers.

+1 All the way.

As for shoes. Anything will do. Plastic spikes for sure. Most courses have banned metal spikes. Stupid if you ask me. It's hard to find metal spikes anymore though. I've only owned Nikes, and like them. Just try every pair on and find what's more comfortable.

Darkcloud, those are some baller as cleats.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Lessons and LOTS OF PRACTICE at the range. Find a driving range that has good balls, ones that actually have dimples and fly normally. Bad balls will confuse your distance. Most ranges will let you DEMO clubs from the different manufacturers. Start with a 3 or 5 iron (Tip from Tom Watson I use) not the wedges or woods like most people do. This will allow you to find your tempo better. Then move through the bag making notes each time as to how far your clubs are carrying, not rolling. Take your time between shots and don't get frustrated. The short game/putting and around the green shots make up most of the strokes in a round of golf. Spend more time practicing here than anywhere else.

Then go play a round. It's alot harder when you are at the course. The range will create a comfort zone for you. Don't let it. The course is where it all matters. Good luck...did I mention LOT'S OF PRACTICE!
Oh, it is as addictive as crack.
      04-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Regarding shoes, the 2 most important things I look for are comfort and waterproofness. Obviously you'll have to try them on to figure out if they are comfortable, but look for the length of waterproof on the warranty. I find that the ones with 2 years are WAY better than 1 year. I've gone thru many golf shoes because water seeps in thru the seems. And I don't play in the rain either. Usually morning dew or a wet course is enough to get water in your shoes.

As for clubs, definitely get a set that is fitted for you. I work PT at a golf shop and fit people all the time. Some manufacturers are better for your swing than others (especially beginners) and you don't have to spend a lot of money for your clubs. Component sets are a good way to go for irons and you can get a good set for less than $300.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Darkcloud, those are some baller as cleats.
Thanks. I saw them and just looking at them I had to have them. Once they went on the feet and how comfy they were it was all over. They have a 2 year waterproof warranty as well.

BTW tron, I have the coupon right here. Its 15% off any regular price Nike or Adidas shoe Send me a PM and I can mail it to you or give you the online code to use it.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I saw them and just looking at them I had to have them. Once they went on the feet and how comfy they were it was all over. They have a 2 year waterproof warranty as well.

BTW tron, I have the coupon right here. Its 15% off any regular price Nike or Adidas shoe Send me a PM and I can mail it to you or give you the online code to use it.
Hmmm. I bought the Adidas 360 Tour shoe. Feels great, but around the 13th hole of every round I wear them I want to take them off. They start hurting my feet. If the course is dry I usually wear my Asics running shoes. Comfy and they don't allow me to over swing...else I spin out and lose a ball.
      04-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

Quote:

The golfs balls matter. They matter A LOT. With the wrong balls you can really hurt your game. So to start by buying 3 ball sleeves instead of whole boxes. You can then play around and find which ball will suit your all around game and as you progress then you can begin carrying a few different balls for different parts of the game. Like a distance ball for driving, a soft ball for pitching, chipping and putting, etc.

Hope that helps.
This is some great advice, all the balls are NOT created equal. And just because it costs $4 a ball doesn't mean that it's the best/right ball for you to use. If you buy a bunch of Pro V1's. They're all going to end up in the hands of other golfers, who strayed into the woods to piss, smoke, or are looking for thier own ball who will then pick it up, say "sweet, a ProV1" and then use that for the rest of thier round, or at least until thier own flawed swing sends it spinning back into the woods to hopefully be recovered by someone who is actually good at golf.

Just remember to stay away from range pounder practice. I see countless people (myself included many, many times) go out to the range and whack through a large bucket of balls, hitting it as far as possible for each club every time and consider it "practice". Once you get your general swing down (can consitantly hit down on the ball, get a decent flight and it was generally where you were aiming) try to hit shots with less back swing, more speed etc and see what kind of ball flight results you get. The reason most golfers have trouble taking the 75% swing is from over practice of their 100% swing at the range, not because it's mechanically that much different or more difficult.

Try to mix up range and actual golf courses as practicing at both will complement each other. Just remember to pick up your ball if you've gone over 8-9 shots on a public golf course. Etiquette is as much a part of this game as anything else.

Lastly, be very, very patient. This is one of the hardest games around. Remember the old saying that golf can never be won, only played. Be patient with your progress and results, and you will have found a game to play for life. If you are too hard on yourself, compare yourself to others, or think you should be making birdies and shooting scratch too quickly, you will burn yourself out and end up hating the game.

Good luck 8)

(edit: as far as equipment goes, I've always enjoyed Cleveland golf iron sets. I'm not playing them now, but they make some very decent "beginnner" irons than can also be saved for intermediate use. Stay the hell away from any "super game improvement" irons unless you are 90 years old or have some some of medical condition. They will only hide faults in your swing and will not make you a better golfer")

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
purespin52
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330xi 6MT

Quote:

As for clubs I like the weighted ones. They have a good clean follow through and offer a larger sweet spot to hit the ball. I picked up a set of Taylormade rac OS2 late last summer and love them. They were a perfect mid-range set of clubs and there are many just like them.

I would recommend a driver with movable weights. Yes, your form and swing should be what controls where the ball goes, but the weights help a whole lot in the learning process to correct fades and slicing. Ones you correct your fade or slice the proper way you move the weights around and balance the driver head out.

Hope that helps.

the rules of golf do not allow for a change in ball during rounds, unless the ball you are playing is cut or otherwise damaged, so you couldn't really use a different ball for different parts of the game. You could however, change balls to favor a specific layout of differing courses.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
purespin52
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330xi 6MT

and if you ever get frustrated with your game, just remember that you actually enjoy golf, otherwise you wouldn't be playing it
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #15
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
... as you progress then you can begin carrying a few different balls for different parts of the game. Like a distance ball for driving, a soft ball for pitching, chipping and putting, etc....
Not to say I always take the high moral ground when it comes to golf, but you are aware that's cheating right?? You must complete the hole with the same ball, or brand/type of ball that you start it with. You can change between holes.

Remind me to show you my shoe wedge!

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Not to say I always take the high moral ground when it comes to golf, but you are aware that's cheating right?? You must complete the hole with the same ball, or brand/type of ball that you start it with. You can change between holes.

Remind me to show you my shoe wedge!
I didn't mean switch balls in the middle of a hole. I meant to carry different balls for different holes, ie loong par 5(distance), short par 3(soft), Average hole w/ hard green(average to soft ball) etc. I just didn't feel like going that far into it.

Apparently the golf nazi's are in the BMW forum as well

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
mkeds
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Try to get some used Taylor Made R7 cgb

they are the best i have ever used and can be at around 800-900 dollars used
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #18
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
I didn't mean switch balls in the middle of a hole. I meant to carry different balls for different holes, ie loong par 5(distance), short par 3(soft), Average hole w/ hard green(average to soft ball) etc. I just didn't feel like going that far into it.

Apparently the golf nazi's are in the BMW forum as well

You should see me golf. I can drive the ball 350+, but I'll be damned if I can get it to go in a straight line. My job on the golf course is to drive the cart and make sure the beer is cold.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #19
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_way3494 View Post
Try to get some used Taylor Made R7 cgb

they are the best i have ever used and can be at around 800-900 dollars used
I play the CGB's too. Had them extended a 1/2 inch and tamed the loft down. The factory lofts are ridiculously strong. I was hitting the PW about 160 yards when I bought them. Solid set and easy to hit. It is still the SWING. My buddy plays old crappy clubs and WOOD WOODS. Yes persimmon woods...He can play and does not give a crap what people think. He putts to the green from 100 yards in if he can. It is ugly to watch.
      04-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
BYAW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci, soon to drive 335i

I have Taylor Made RAC OS2's and love them. I just checked online and you can get older models for pretty cheap now. probably worth it to buy an older series for cheaper as you are just learning.
Appreciate 0