European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-18-2024, 04:31 PM   #1
BigFatRaccoon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT|2016 X5 35i

Stainless Steel to Cotton Mesh Air Filters?

Anyone switch over from the stainless steel intake cones to a cotton-mesh style on the SSR top mount intakes? How has your experience been?

Would something like this be fine? (link below).

Called SSR and they said they don't make the cotton mesh ones anymore (6 month lead time) and to try any universal 3 inch filter that would clear the bay.

Was hoping to get more info from anyone here who's done the swap, obviously noise will decrease going from metal to cotton but the filtering on metal just seems non-existent in my opinion and not worth the tradeoff, especially if you drive through a construction zone randomly.

https://www.amazon.com/Pinkhatcat-Pe...cx_mr_hp_atf_m
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 12:01 PM   #2
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatRaccoon View Post
Anyone switch over from the stainless steel intake cones to a cotton-mesh style on the SSR top mount intakes? How has your experience been?

Called SSR and they said they don't make the cotton mesh ones anymore (6 month lead time) and to try any universal 3 inch filter that would clear the bay.

Was hoping to get more info from anyone here who's done the swap, obviously noise will decrease going from metal to cotton but the filtering on metal just seems non-existent in my opinion and not worth the tradeoff, especially if you drive through a construction zone randomly.

This intake is in the engine bay? If so i would definitely make the switch to the cotton its ability to filter is much better and the only reason why I could see a meth mesh filter being used if it's in the grill area.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 05:12 PM   #3
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatRaccoon View Post

Had an SSR intake years ago and the main issue I had when switching from the metal mesh to cotton was a CEL/rough idle. The sound is definitely less pronounced when going from the metal to the cotton but it was still very noticeable, more noticeable than my Injen intake and much more so then stock (I’m running stock now).

The metal mesh shouldn’t really be called a filter imo lol. I ran it for a few days just to hear it and switched them out to the cotton. I’m in the desert and wanted something that actually filtered, as you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 07:57 PM   #4
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Not sure if this will help since what I did was the opposite from what you’re after but I switched from a cotton filter to a mesh filter but instead of using the Blitz steel mesh filters I’m using the BoostLogic stainless filter which seem to be far better made, don’t rust, no center mesh low micron screen that looks as if it can be punctured. So far I’ve got like 10k miles under the filter and no issues with filtration.
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0