E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > LOL... I got BANNED from 1addicts.com

Closed Thread

01-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

LOL... I got BANNED from 1addicts.com

I suggest people view the following link to see how childish and unprofessional the people are over at 1addicts.com are. I've been on Messege boards for since my BBS days, never have I met such fragile and self important people, running the show!

I had three different moderators give me sepearat infractions over the last 2-3 weeks for "inflammaory" posts. Not only that, I was the victom of some harsh personal emails from a moderator named larryn because he doesn't like my posting style.

Over the last week he has not edited, but DELETED 6-7 of my post. Which had no inflammatory remarks and he and 2 other mods had admitted that my posts did NOT violate their boards rules. They just wanted me to "tone it down a bit".

Link to the post that got me banned!
Subsequently, my reply to larryn's accusation pf being a troll was deleted ( would been post #17), but no fear, I had printed it out (will photocopy), because I knew how childish and extremely fragile larryn was and I knew he wouldn't be able to conduct himself as an adult.

The kicker is.. so is several of my posts that summed up recent activity. I have no recourse to allow other members to be notified of what is going on... becasue even older posts have now been deleted removing anything that gave me cred.

Note: please understand my tone in the linked thread. I had been in PM's for a week about why my posts were being deleted. Some of the mods knew nothing of who or why and I suspected it was larryn all along. So please understand my little "dig" at the mods needing to know things about BMW's...

... because earlier in that same thread I recieved an infraction for trolling in Post #9... LOL! Photocopy comming

Comments/suggestions ...?

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I moderate on a watch forum and can understand why you might have been banned. First of all the thread you link too doesn't look too bad but you did yourself no favor by goading the mods. I suspect that the history of PM's put you on their list and this post put you over the top.

The first rule on any privately owned site is you are a guest of the owner and the second is follow their rules. If you don't like the rules go to another site.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
i'm with you on the thread you posted. but was it really all you got banned for? usually one doesn't get banned unless you're selling a rolex for $20, offer $$ 1,000,000,000,000 USD from a nigerian bank or make incredibly offensive, derogatory, demeaning or racist remarks.

from that one thread though, that moderator is obviously a douche and can't take criticism (constructive i might add) of any kind. it seems like you're not allowed to know more (or point it out) than him.

it's not like you said "i believe it's A and you're stupid for believing it's B." you said, "it's A and this document shows it and thus what you're saying is crap."

thanks for the warning. i'm sure staying away from that forum!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Interesting to see Michael Schott's response, because I was going to say something similar. I am a moderator on a photography forum, and when a user always seems to create problems, we suspend his account for some period of time (though we rarely ban users that have any history of contributing useful information). No doubt that you weren't banned for that individual post -- I certainly would not have banned you for it -- but I can see how it might be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Some forums have more open policies than others. Here at e90post, the mods let people get away with more than many other forums. I like that, because I can be a wiseass sometimes, and I can enjoy it when I see others doing the same.
      01-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

More

Here the photocopy of my DELETED response to larryn's accusation that I am a troll. (below) That is the post that got me banned <===

It was the second or third time he has publically called me a "troll" with no retort from me. I just felt it was time to challenge his abuse openly... to stunt his behind the scenes wholesale deleting of my posts.

As you can see below, I still didn't violate the board rules and completly called him out on his antics. This post was deleted about 20 minutes after it was posted. I reposted a "kinder" version of the same post and he still deleted it.

I love sarcasm... seems my posting style is what he doesn't like.

I sent a PM last week to Harold the admin stating I was somewhat upset with the way the boards were being moderated and that several informative and lengthy posts were deleted. I suggested that their boards perhaps might not be for me.... but none-the-less I had plenty to contribute and discuss. No response!

Did I hurt the poor lads feeling....?

-Garrett
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
^^ yeah, I'd have suspended your account after that. Pissing off the mods is rarely a good plan.
      01-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
The first rule on any privately owned site is you are a guest of the owner and the second is follow their rules. If you don't like the rules go to another site.
while this is true, you have to admit that knowledgeable members are ones greatly improving quality of a car forum. if you're a stuck up cock who thinks holding a title of "moderator" gives you the power to call what's right and what's wrong no matter what the truth is, then your forum is worth shit and it will fall over sooner or later. if it doesn't, everyone who knows better will go elsewhere.

look at this very site. when it first started, there was E90Fleet and a line of others who knew more about E90s than any of us. that is why newbie members were so drawn to this site. Mark and Jason never tried to appear smarter than those members, rather, they valued their membership and help they provided to others. and today, E90post is one of the most successful and, most importantly, *respectable* E9x forums out there.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sounds like their egos got a little bruised and they nuked you. Chances are, if they are that sensitive, there won't be any good discussions to be had on that forum, be glad you're banned.
      01-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

LOL Garrett. I didn't find any of your other posts offensive or with troll intent, but that one is borderlined.

I personally like 1addict a little bit better because there are more technical discussion than bantering about bling. I am sure it will be different once the kiddies overrun the enthusiasts. Anyways this is more of an offtopic discussion.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'd check out the posts but I'm banned there too, lol. No reason why, and none was ever given. I had assumed they were linked to this site somehow but maybe not?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I personally find that most people on E90 are pretty thick skin types, maybe it because in order to by a BMW you have to be someone what successful, and in the top 10 to 20% of the income earners and to get there you can not be easily insulted.

As such I think it add to some very interesting discussion even when people do disagree. I learned alot from this bunch.

At least you not on this board

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98489

Where this guy got called out for spamming the board with Gambling websites, which lead to people tracking down his real name only to find out this guy was a sex offender for having under age sex with a 15 yr old. They did not not ban him just ridicule the hell out of him. I do not think he will do that again.

Oh you might not be able to read that site since the site is being pounded by people trying to see what this guy did.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

^^

Man, you need to get on offtopic.com or somethingawful.com. If you troll on the forum they track your ass down in real life. Some have been fired or life ruined from member harassments.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I had a run-in on this very forum some time ago with a newly deputized moderator. There was som over-reacting on both sides, but he has the big red button and I don't. I was scolded, and since apologized since I was wrong to attack the mod.

Long and short if it, like Mike said above - it's their forum.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
I had been in PM's for a week
-Garrett
I think the correct spelling is "PMS".
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #15
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko View Post
while this is true, you have to admit that knowledgeable members are ones greatly improving quality of a car forum. if you're a stuck up cock who thinks holding a title of "moderator" gives you the power to call what's right and what's wrong no matter what the truth is, then your forum is worth shit and it will fall over sooner or later. if it doesn't, everyone who knows better will go elsewhere.

look at this very site. when it first started, there was E90Fleet and a line of others who knew more about E90s than any of us. that is why newbie members were so drawn to this site. Mark and Jason never tried to appear smarter than those members, rather, they valued their membership and help they provided to others. and today, E90post is one of the most successful and, most importantly, *respectable* E9x forums out there.
Being a mod is not about who knows more. It's about enforcing the rules. On this forum, where I am a new member, the owners allow quite a bit. Your post for one would (and IMO should) never get past the software censor due to your rude language. If the OP didn't violate any rules then his sarcastic attitude caused the ban. Most sites including the one I mod ask for civil and respectful behavior and probably Garrett crossed a line along the way.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread