E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Film/photo Equipment Help

04-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Film/photo Equipment Help

Looking to buy a bunch of film and video equipment this summer. I already have a Nikon D800 with a couple of wide-aperture prime lenses and a video tripod head. Want to buy a second body and more lenses, as well as some lights, some sound equipment, and possibly new camera mounts for smoother shooting. Should I look into more advanced camera hardware? Trying to spend less than $15k. Could end up near $20k if it's really worth it. And please don't tell me to rent.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Quiet Money
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Pre LCI 335i TiAg

I shoot video and sometimes do some photography, but with Canon, my personal preference. What are you mainly going to be shooting/ using the equipment for? You have a full frame camera so that's a great start there!
Also, is the 15-20k budget the amount that you have now all at once to spend or do you plan on buying some at a time?

Last edited by Quiet Money; 04-21-2014 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Money
I shoot video and sometimes do some photography, but with Canon, my personal preference. What are you mainly going to be shooting/ using the equipment for? You have a full frame camera so that's a great start there!
Also, is the 15-20k budget the amount that you have now all at once to spend or do you plan on buying some at a time?
It's very likely I'll buy it all this summer. I'll be using it for short films, small ad-spots, and other experimental art & media. The D800 is nice, but I'm looking to do more with more.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Quiet Money
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Pre LCI 335i TiAg

What's your experience level? Are you looking for advice on a new primary camera? You should just search around the web for the best deals on your favorite pieces of equipment. I have somewhat of a master list of items that I want, due to lack of funds, I have to buy things a little at a time. I get them in the order of what is needed now or what I can afford to wait and get later. If you are not familiar with equipment I can help you search and get an idea of what your budget will get you, but if you are doing the projects you told me, then it seems that you might already know what you're doing. Well, unless that is what you would like to do in the future but haven't done anything yet,lol. Let me know.
Appreciate 0