E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > A Glimpse into North Korea

06-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

A Glimpse into North Korea

It's translated from Russian, but most of the photos get the point across on their own. Pretty sad.
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ad.php?t=82755

And another one, some of the photos aren't working though:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=200578

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
DodgerBlue808
Rep
n/a
Drives:

did u get the links from digg.com?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Nope, another forum.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Looking at those pictures, I will never complain about life here anymore On the side note, what happened to good ol' Bush talking about bringing freedom and democracy to the world? I think this place deserve more priority then Iraq
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine
Looking at those pictures, I will never complain about life here anymore On the side note, what happened to good ol' Bush talking about bringing freedom and democracy to the world? I think this place deserve more priority then Iraq
because they blow us up fo sho

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
JB 330ci
Resident "Spook"
Rep
Drives: 03 330ci, 08 335i, 08 A5,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine
I would rate Somalia above North Korea right now. Ethiopia is judging Somalia as such a threat their PM said they would invade...so we can expect to see Ethiopian troops taking unilateral action against Somalia.

North Korea has nuclear weapons (suspected) and could launch a missiles capable of hitting the US however NK is a country and would not likely risk entangling the US or regional powers (China, SK, Japan)

Somalia on the other hand in now the next Afghanistan (prior 2001), it seems like someone is willing to take action to stop the spread of Extremists and Islamic terrorism.

As long as the NK threat is alive, people will pump more money into the Anti-Ballistic Shield program (Justified by NK of course) which in my opinion should of been started in the 1990's.
Simple Politics.

The most viable and immediate threat which would cause a mass casualty attack is terrorism, not war. Let NK do what they want to do for right now.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
We have always had NK as a threat for a long time. You just don't hear much about it here in the states. Coming from S. Korea living there are serving in the military next to the border, Somalia is not that bad. I use to wake up and see NK every morning before we did our exercises. They would play propaganda to sway SK. The NK have China on their side and would step in if we tried to do anything. Why do think we are still technically at war? The NK army is about 1 million strong and China is even larger. Much of NK is dedicated to the military and its operations. There are artillery pieces that are zeroed in on every major part of South Korea and could destroy it without having to leave NK. I think it is a matter of time before NK will become trouble again. The US is slowly departing SK and that may give them the opportunity they need. Somalia is pretty bad to and we'll have to watch what is going on there as well. Here are some current operations that are still going on. http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../other-ops.htm

Other Operations
Locale Dates US Forces
Korea Korea 25 Jun 1950 ongoing USFK Order of Battle
Current List
Prior List

New Horizons Central America ongoing
Caspian Guard Caspian Sea 2004 ongoing
Gulf of Guinea Guard Gulf of Guinea 2004 ongoing
Regional Maritime Security Initiative Pacific Ocean Mar 2004 ongoing
Proliferation Security Initiative Global May 2003 ongoing
MONUC [UN PKO] DR Congo Feb 2000 ongoing
Relief Focus Africa 1997 ongoing
Gatekeeper ongoing
Hold-the-Line
Safeguard California
Texas
Arizona 1995 ongoing
Full Accounting Southeast Asia Oct 1995 ongoing
Golden Pheasant Honduras Mar 1988 ongoing
Alliance US Southern border 1986 ongoing
Multinational Force and Observers Sinai 1982 ongoing
      06-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
JB 330ci
Resident "Spook"
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
We have always had NK as a threat for a long time. You just don't hear much about it here in the states. Coming from S. Korea living there are serving in the military next to the border, Somalia is not that bad. I use to wake up and see NK every morning before we did our exercises. They would play propaganda to sway SK. The NK have China on their side and would step in if we tried to do anything. Why do think we are still technically at war? The NK army is about 1 million strong and China is even larger. Much of NK is dedicated to the military and its operations. There are artillery pieces that are zeroed in on every major part of South Korea and could destroy it without having to leave NK. I think it is a matter of time before NK will become trouble again. The US is slowly departing SK and that may give them the opportunity they need. Somalia is pretty bad to and we'll have to watch what is going on there as well. Here are some current operations that are still going on.
I was in Korea as well and I know all about what you are saying. NK has over 5,000 Artillery pieces located along the border and could decimate Seoul with the outbreak of hostilities. However they won't reach very far into SK itself but the damage would be in the billions of dollars. China isn't much of an NK ally ever since they are suspected of nuclear weapons. China regards NK as an "unstable element" to their growing power and gives the SK and Japan a pretext for defense spending without citing China as a cause.

NK spends over 50% GNP (or around that number) on military spending but their military remains poorly funded, trained, with huge amounts of obsolete equipment. They would not be able to sustain a push in SK for over 90 days due to their poor logistical capability. One of the main reasons NK pursued nuclear technology is because of the increasing technological gap between NK vs SK, Japan, and US militaries. The only equalizing factor is nuclear weapons (From an NK perspective).

Only lately has Somalia overcome North Korea because of Somalia's increasing role in terrorist activities, camps, and facilitation. In terms of a threat to the United States, taking most likely and probable into consideration, Somalia ranks higher than North Korea at this current point in time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
haha the world is one fucked up place. thank god i live in my cave.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB 330ci
I was in Korea as well and I know all about what you are saying. NK has over 5,000 Artillery pieces located along the border and could decimate Seoul with the outbreak of hostilities. However they won't reach very far into SK itself but the damage would be in the billions of dollars. China isn't much of an NK ally ever since they are suspected of nuclear weapons. China regards NK as an "unstable element" to their growing power and gives the SK and Japan a pretext for defense spending without citing China as a cause.
I was about to say just this but you spelled it out nicely.

In reality, China does view the NK as a wild card, and does not want NK to possess a viable nuclear weapons program.
      06-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #11
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

reminds me of that movie with jim carrey "the truman show". Except this is a brainwashed, backwards, de-evolved society and we don't watch it on TV.

MTV should make a reality show there called "Communism: Unplugged"

On the bright side.. Atleast they are not Muslim!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 11:53 PM   #12
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Gosh, it's truly amazing how that country operates.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #13
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB 330ci

NK spends over 50% GNP (or around that number) on military spending but their military remains poorly funded, trained, with huge amounts of obsolete equipment. They would not be able to sustain a push in SK for over 90 days due to their poor logistical capability. One of the main reasons NK pursued nuclear technology is because of the increasing technological gap between NK vs SK, Japan, and US militaries. The only equalizing factor is nuclear weapons (From an NK perspective).

Only lately has Somalia overcome North Korea because of Somalia's increasing role in terrorist activities, camps, and facilitation. In terms of a threat to the United States, taking most likely and probable into consideration, Somalia ranks higher than North Korea at this current point in time.
The military is not as poor as the citizens. The soldiers are better fed and remain the top priority over everything else. They have recieved much aid from the US in terms of food and a nuclear reactor for fuel. The artillery would destroy much of the 2nd ID that remains along the border and near Seoul. If war would occur it would not make it past 30 days since the south has airbases at Osan and carriers off the coast. The 25th ID with Hickham AFB and C-17 bombers as well as the fleet here in Hawaii would end the war rather quickly. North Korea recently conducted missle firing test that still proves they are a viable threat. China is in the closet avoiding any actions that could threaten trade relations with the US but they are still there to help NK in the end.
Somalia has been a concern not for terrorist activity but a haven for terrorist. There are currently no soldiers stationed there. The closest troop is about a 1000 soldiers stationed at Djibouti with the Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa. Clashes between the alliance and the Islamist militias escalated in May 2006, resulting in some of the worst violence in Somalia in more than a decade, and on June 5, militia members announced they had seized complete control of Mogadishu. Nothing really to spark great fear as US has no plans to do anything at this point.
      06-18-2006, 01:28 AM   #14
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

from the pics, it looks like NK is asia's russia and kim jung ill is like stalin...do i spell the president's name correctly? and my gosh NK president looks like someone i wanna bitchslap lots of times till my hands got numb, i mean whats up with his hair, his thick glasses and his whole body? my south korean friends said that his palace is swarmed with beautiful captured foreign women
      06-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #15
KennyVendetta
Salsero
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Crimson Red

Wow...I never, ever want to go there....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #16
E91 Dude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Thanks for sharing that. It was a real eye opener.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 12:12 PM   #17
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
what a lovely tourist destination, let me call my travel agent right away!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #18
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Did you guys read your newpaper? Look like NK is getting ready for something. Spy sat show preparation for a test or something. They can send a missle to Cali with a light payload but nerve gas doesn't weight that much and can affect many.
      06-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #19
SiR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i, E92 335i

Propaganda at it's finest. Very uneducated "reporter".
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #20
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
I would agree!
      06-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #21
JB 330ci
Resident "Spook"
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Did you guys read your newpaper? Look like NK is getting ready for something. Spy sat show preparation for a test or something. They can send a missle to Cali with a light payload but nerve gas doesn't weight that much and can affect many.
Like I said before, as long as NK demonstrates an offensive missile capability, the US will pour money into an Anti Ballistic Missile Program. Like I said you must weigh the good and bad consequences of actions. Right now with NK testing a long range missile, the US will try to develop an effective missile shield...if we didn't have NK as a threat the program would of suffered setbacks or been scraped...again.

People must look at the bigger picture and accept some stuff in the world in order to motivate people for their desired outcome. As long as NK exists as a threat...funding for the Anti Ballistic Missile Program will not be cut. This is a good thing. We cannot solve every problem and we cannot deal with every problem at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #22
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

JB, how quickly/easily do you think we can dominate NK in the case war-mongerer Bush decides on a blitzkrieg against them? Witholding nuclear weaponry, of course.