E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > College kids - SAT vs. SAT 2 dilemma

10-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

College kids - SAT vs. SAT 2 dilemma

Before I start, I would like to request for anyone who is going to post be serious. I know my SAT 2 scores are bad, so please don't just post to rub it in...post if you're sincerely trying to help.

Okay, so I took the SAT in May and got an 1800 (600 in each section). Then I took the SAT 2's and and did pretty bad, 540 in Math, even worse in history. Now I just finished Kaplan (for SAT I), and I have 3 different books to go through before I *should" take the test. But the problem is, I think I should retake the SAT 2s. If I retake the SAT 2s, I'm going to have to take them in December meaning I have to take the SAT on November first (as a standby).

So here is the question:
Should I sign up for the December SAT 2s and take the November SAT or should I sign up for the December SAT and use the whole next month to do some studying?

After going over my practice tests, I feel like with a little more studying I can go over a 2000. My practice test scores right now are @ 1900-ish, and I've only been practicing math. If I have a whole month more to study, I can start focusing on critical reading + writing and bump myself up a few more points.

Thanks for taking the time out to read + help guys, I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

all you have to do is take 1 or 2 classes at harvard part time then you should be able to get in if you get an A in both
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
It all depends on the school that you apply to. Do they require SAT2 scores? If not, forget about it and focus on your SAT1.
      10-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

from my experience two years ago, it is much harder to raise your score with SAT I (but english is not my first language, it took me awhile to raise the writing part to above 700). SAT II is all about knowing the subjects you are being tested on, a week or two of hardcore studying you should be able to pull off a decent score at least. i would say take the SAT I in december is a must. for SAT II, if you have the time to do some intense studying right away, i would suggest you to take it now.

really those scores are not everything. at this stage of the game, concentrate you effort on the application (especially those essays) would give you greatest benefits.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
It all depends on the school that you apply to. Do they require SAT2 scores? If not, forget about it and focus on your SAT1.
2 of the schools require it, 8 of them either "recommend" or "highly recommend" them . If worst comes to worst, I can just send my bad SAT 2 scores and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnator View Post
from my experience two years ago, it is much harder to raise your score with SAT I (but english is not my first language, it took me awhile to raise the writing part to above 700). SAT II is all about knowing the subjects you are being tested on, a week or two of hardcore studying you should be able to pull off a decent score at least. i would say take the SAT I in december is a must. for SAT II, if you have the time to do some intense studying right away, i would suggest you to take it now.

really those scores are not everything. at this stage of the game, concentrate you effort on the application (especially those essays) would give you greatest benefits.
If I don't take the SAT 2s in Dec. I can't take them at all, because the you can't take the SAT 2 as a standby, which is what I would have to do for the SAT if I took it in November.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
M3 LUST
Banned
Rep
Drives: -

You could perhaps take the ACT - some schools (including Yale - at least a few years ago) accept the ACT as a substitute for SAT I and SAT II scores.

In my experience it was a little easier to get a good score.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
xxballinboi786
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 LUST View Post
You could perhaps take the ACT - some schools (including Yale - at least a few years ago) accept the ACT as a substitute for SAT I and SAT II scores.

In my experience it was a little easier to get a good score.
thanks man, I didn't even think about the ACT. I have a meeting with my counselor tomorrow, just wanted an idea of the + and - of each decision I can make.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

if you can take both, i'd do that. if not, i think you should just take the SAT I
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

I'll be completely honest with you. You won't improve your SAT scores that much. It is very very rare to make a significant improvement, at least one you will be happy with. Just concentrate on your grades, especially the 2nd half of the year. Find schools that you like and have programs that are good, not just the schools with the best reputation/going off the name. You want to be happy at the college you go to, so visit them and see if you really want to go to them.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #10
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxballinboi786 View Post
2 of the schools require it, 8 of them either "recommend" or "highly recommend" them . If worst comes to worst, I can just send my bad SAT 2 scores and hope for the best.

If I don't take the SAT 2s in Dec. I can't take them at all, because the you can't take the SAT 2 as a standby, which is what I would have to do for the SAT if I took it in November.
Since your HS grade is not stellar either, I would incline to say F- that for the SAT I and focus all your energy on SAT II for the time being.
      10-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #11
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
I'll be completely honest with you. You won't improve your SAT scores that much. It is very very rare to make a significant improvement, at least one you will be happy with. Just concentrate on your grades, especially the 2nd half of the year. Find schools that you like and have programs that are good, not just the schools with the best reputation/going off the name. You want to be happy at the college you go to, so visit them and see if you really want to go to them.
ahahaha yeah i got 1700 twice

first time i took SAT II math 2 though, i got like 610 i think. second time around... 710. of course i know what i did wrong there
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #12
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Dont listen to the people who say you can't improve your score, you can.

i went from 1800-2250. Just study your ass off. Also, I recommend trying the ACT. I think its easier. Sign up for the December one and buy the Princeton Review, Cracking the ACT. PM me and tell me how it goes man!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Oh and where are you applying? I'm hoping to get ED for Dartmouth!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #14
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
Not exactly true: for instance I had a crappy SAT score so I got a tutor over one summer and got that bad boy up 160 points in 4 months (from 2120 to 2280)... my roommate got his up over 200 between sittings (i dont remember how much exactly). Just wanted to let you know that it is possible to have a significant improvement if you worked at it.

Now on that note, I would advise you to take the SAT again along with the ACT, but I would start prep for the ACT as soon as you can.

Hope for the best,
-Scott
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #15
M3 LUST
Banned
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Dont listen to the people who say you can't improve your score, you can.

i went from 1800-2250. Just study your ass off. Also, I recommend trying the ACT. I think its easier. Sign up for the December one and buy the Princeton Review, Cracking the ACT. PM me and tell me how it goes man!
You CAN improve your SAT score markedly, but i think the returns for study time are greater on the ACT, especially. I took the (new) SAT I three times and my eventual best was 2290. I took the ACT once and didn't study at all because I rationalized to myself that I could always just take it again. I made a 34 on that one and had no reason to take it again.

As long as we're throwing out concrete numbers, my SAT II's were less than stellar (670 Math II, 690 World History, 690 Biology) and I still got into my first choice.

I am assuming that anyone whose parents (apparently) purchased a Gallardo Superleggera for them probably went to a tony private school that would be well-respected by a college admissions committee.

Good luck with Dartmouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #16
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
Not exactly true: for instance I had a crappy SAT score so I got a tutor over one summer and got that bad boy up 160 points in 4 months (from 2120 to 2280)... my roommate got his up over 200 between sittings (i dont remember how much exactly). Just wanted to let you know that it is possible to have a significant improvement if you worked at it.

Now on that note, I would advise you to take the SAT again along with the ACT, but I would start prep for the ACT as soon as you can.

Hope for the best,
-Scott
yeah improving your score can be done. i think the key is just knowing what you didn't do well last time
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #17
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

sorry to be off topic. but do u really drive a fcking lambo? wow nice.
      10-28-2008, 02:02 AM   #18
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Colleges that say it's highly recommended to send SAT 2 scores pretty much mean it's mandatory otherwise you won't be considered.

Also, unless things have changed in the few years since I applied, you can't just decide to send one score and not the other, they send all of them all at once and there's not much you can do about it.

FWIW I jumped from mid-2100s to 2250 within a one month span, so it is doable. Good luck, and also good luck to DevJ for Dartmouth.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #19
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
SAT II for IVY schools.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #20
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

your parents seem affluent enough. why not go with kaplan or princeton review, and engage one of those college admissions consultants:

http://www.kaptest.com/collegeadmissions?cid=2036858

if you can spend the money, this might be the best use of your other constraints (time, test scores, etc)
      10-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #21
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

Ok I just went through the whole application process last year so here are my recommendations/thoughts:
1.TAKE THE ACT - omg i thought it was a lot easier than the SAT because there aren't any trick questions.
2. You should retake the SAT IIs. But retake it only once. STUDY MORE.
3. You are absolutely capable of achieving a higher score on these standardized tests. Just crack open and read one of those SAT/ACT review books (e.g. Princeton Review and Kaplan).
      10-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #22
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Gotta say taking the SAT's in a few days, this information is helping me out as well lol. Ganna try to take the ACT after it.
Appreciate 0