E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Golf Clubs?

07-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #23
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauer87 View Post
Go to the golf store near you and hit some different sets of irons from different manufacturers (Callaway,Ping, Taylor Made, etc) and decide for yourself based on how they feel in your hands. I'm obviously partial towards Callaway btw.
i fixed ur post
      07-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
check out www.golfwrx.com great golf forum with great reviews...

as for me, if I were you i would get a cheap set of used for now, if you get good and you like to play, get yourself a nice set of either Mizuno's, Srixon's, or bridgestone's.... they may not be the biggest household names, but they do make some of the best clubs... i personally dont buy into the hype over callaway's, Ping's or TM's... i would consider Titleist if i had to choose from one of the heavy hitters.... but definatly go get fitted for clubs...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #25
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

TaylorMade Rac OS2 irons with TaylorMade R7 Driver, Cleveland lob wedge and Odyssey putter. Fuck the woods...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #26
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Go with PING. There are the only company it seems thats fully commited to making great clubs, abiet at the expense of creating a wider marketshare, as whats the case with Nike and Callaway. Yes you pay for it, but the clubs are just awesome. I absolutely LOVE my Ping clubs. $500-$1000 can get you a great set. Not incredible, but damn good for even a seasoned/expert golfer.
+1

I still play with a set of custom fit Ping Eye 2s from the 1980s. I hit them straighter and nearly as long as anything I can find in the pro shop today. Some people think they're one of the best sets of irons ever made. I bet you could find a cheap used pretty easily. Take them to a local Ping pro and have them custom fit- they'll send them back to the manufacturer and have the lie adjusted, the shafts changed, and the grips replaced as necessary. You'll practically have a brand new set of clubs afterward.

Last edited by Lassaxi; 07-29-2008 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #27
rugbyguy
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal_bimmer View Post
check out www.golfwrx.com great golf forum with great reviews...

as for me, if I were you i would get a cheap set of used for now, if you get good and you like to play, get yourself a nice set of either Mizuno's, Srixon's, or bridgestone's.... they may not be the biggest household names, but they do make some of the best clubs... i personally dont buy into the hype over callaway's, Ping's or TM's... i would consider Titleist if i had to choose from one of the heavy hitters.... but definatly go get fitted for clubs...
I certainly agree that used is the way to go for your average size golf. However, if the OP went this route, he would need to have them extended approx 1 1/2" which would kind of kill the savings of going used. Extending them that amount would also move the bendpoint lower, producing a much lower trojectory......not good for a begining golfer.
I would suggest not focusing on a particular brand but lean more towards a game improvment iron....larger sweet spot, larger head, greater offset, etc. Every manufacturer offers these irons in their lineup with possibly Titleist being the sole exeption. Again, fit is much more important than which brand you choose. Once your game improves, by all means, shop for some nice forged irons. Montreal_bimmer is right on with his suggestions, those three companies make some sweet clubs.
      07-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #28
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Thanks for all the insight and advice! I'll update tomorrow after I go through the fitting.
      07-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #29
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I miss my Ping Eye 2's. I got down to a seven with those sticks. Thought I was good enough for some tour blades. WRONG. They were like trying to hit the ball with a butter knife. Went with a set of TM CGB's and like them but the Pings were more workable for a cavity back for sure.
      07-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #30
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Well...so much for starting on the cheap. I parted with just under $1,600.00 for:

1. Taylor Made driver ($199)
2. Taylor Made 5-wood ($159)
3. Taylor Made 4 hybrid ($129)
4. Mizuno 5-PW ($599)
5. Mizuno SW ($99)
6. Odyssey Putter ($99)
7. Mizuno Bag ($109)
8. Lengthening/Loft/Lie ($100)
9. Tax ($99)

I can update later on the exact models, but I forget offhand (too many numbers and letters) and I won't have the irons for a day or two and the rest are in my car.

Because I have mentally committed myself to playing for a variety of reasons (social, business, personal), I decided that I wanted to get a set of clubs that I could play with for awhile. I also wanted something that would really fit me. I also wasn't really comfortable with the "starter" sets.

So, did I make stupid purchases? Did I get robbed? Any comments appreciated.
      07-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #31
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Welcome to the world of golf. Taylor Made and Mizuno are great brands. I play TM irons, driver and hybrid (2). Ping wedges. If they didn't already I would ask for a few dozen balls and a couple of good fitting gloves. FOR FREE. They make a killing on this stuff and balls and gloves cost them peanuts. SHOES...don't skimp. Bad fitting shoes will be a nightmare during a round. Foot Joy or Adidas are my faves.

Don't get frustrated. It takes a lifetime to "attempt" to master the game of golf.

I agree on business and golf. A lot of big deals discussed on the course in my life. We always bring or buy plenty of aiming juice for the business rounds.
      09-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #32
blue-e92
Private
Rep
Drives: MB E92

My first and current set, configured by me from research, both new & used set me back (so far) $1,100.
I had 2 things made up in my mind (1) Only trusted brands (2) avoid retail prices as much as possible. I ended up with Taylor Made driver, 3 + 5 wood, callaway 3-pw irons, and Never Compromise putter.

The putter retailed $299. Being that it came out almost 2 years ago, I got it nice for $209. I felt most confident with that putter.

Advice for you:

(1) Invest in a good putter, no price limit
(2) Do not go wal-mart on your equipment. Do not get clones. Do not settle for no names.
Appreciate 0