E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Volunteering/Traveling abroad

12-19-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Volunteering/Traveling abroad

Curious if anyone has any experience or advice with respect to volunteering or traveling abroad..

I could explain more later, but basically I'm thinking of putting everything in storage, selling the e90, and going for it.. I was thinking volunteering would be a cheap way (ususally food, shelter, etc is provided) to see different parts of the world, experience different cultures, however any other relatively low cost solutions would be greatly appreciated as well.. I want to be somewhere incredibly different.. Was thinking of taking a year or possibly more off from my current career (mechanical and aerospace engineering)..

I've done a lot of research already but thought it'd be worth a shot to ask here as well..

Thanks in advance,
Josh

PS. I'll also say it for the hell of it - if anyone else wants to go traveling/volunteering/backpacking etc as well, let me know.. Could be the best time of our lives..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Dammit Josh, you could just take brief vacations abroad You might find that your grandiose idea (selling everything and going backpacking across the world) remains more romantic than its reality, at the end of it all.

Actually, I do know of an englishman who did just what you are proposing. He went on a one year trip around the world concentrating in and around Asia and he swears it was the best thing he has ever done. He credits a newfound appreciation for different cultures and overall broadened mindscape.

Will you be travelling to find yourself or to forget about someone else?

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
Dammit Josh, you could just take brief vacations abroad
The thing about it is I don't get a lot of vacation time - not enough to really fully see anything. I think right now in my career it could be a good place to take a break. I can always start back up whenever I get back..

BTW, I never said selling everything (besides the e90). I would put everything in storage. I have already priced it out, and it's relatively small money..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
Will you be travelling to find yourself or to forget about someone else?
Both..

So I'll count you in?

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Josh you might want to check out the Peace Corps:

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm

I have a few friends that did it and it seems to have changed their life completely.

It seems to be a 27 month commitment, where in that time they will provide money for you to live plus full medical/dental.

Also, upon returning, they give you about $6k to make the transition back to your normal life.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and lets discuss this over a drink during next week.
      12-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

From what my parents say, Peace Corps will radically change your life. My parents met at teh preparation college (3 months intensive language training plus shots) then got married while in Pakistan. They toured back throughout Asia as their honeymoon. when they got back the D.C. they were in total culture-shock and had some challenges adjusting. I was born shortly thereafter, so that didn't help a whole bunch either

My dad had dysentery (sp?, the runs) for the entire time he was in Pakistan. He's probably pushing 200lbs nowadays, but was 110 when he got married over there. . .

Some of the friends they made along the way drop in when in the area, 40+ years after!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleo View Post
Josh you might want to check out the Peace Corps:

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm

I have a few friends that did it and it seems to have changed their life completely.

It seems to be a 27 month commitment, where in that time they will provide money for you to live plus full medical/dental.

Also, upon returning, they give you about $6k to make the transition back to your normal life.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and lets discuss this over a drink during next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
From what my parents say, Peace Corps will radically change your life. My parents met at teh preparation college (3 months intensive language training plus shots) then got married while in Pakistan. They toured back throughout Asia as their honeymoon. when they got back the D.C. they were in total culture-shock and had some challenges adjusting. I was born shortly thereafter, so that didn't help a whole bunch either

My dad had dysentery (sp?, the runs) for the entire time he was in Pakistan. He's probably pushing 200lbs nowadays, but was 110 when he got married over there. . .

Some of the friends they made along the way drop in when in the area, 40+ years after!
Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for that story. Sounds incredible. I just spent my lunch looking through the website, and will most likely apply.

Josh

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Just remember, you get primarily assigned to ONE location, you aren't on a jaunt around the world. That was extra that my parents did AFTER their service.

Oh, and bring me back a hooka pipe, K? the one my parents brought back has mysteriously been misplaced, I think some time after my brother burned the virgin wood bowl
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

aren't you married or should i consider this a divorce.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
aren't you married or should i consider this a divorce.
married?

Josh is a PIMP
      12-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleo View Post
married?

Josh is a PIMP
and what are you his ho?

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
and what are you his ho?
lets just say im his supplier
      12-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #12
Josh49
Major General
Rep

^^^

No, wasn't married. Was dating for a very long time, and was about ready to ask..

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Just remember, you get primarily assigned to ONE location, you aren't on a jaunt around the world. That was extra that my parents did AFTER their service.

Oh, and bring me back a hooka pipe, K? the one my parents brought back has mysteriously been misplaced, I think some time after my brother burned the virgin wood bowl
Yeah.. Could be good to thoroughly learn another culture and way of life though..

But yeah, it is much different then traveling around and seeing a lot..

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #14
truong321
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

i would go! i started about 2 threads (both failed) about "getting away" and experiencing something just different from my normal life but, i have school.
      12-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #15
leejoobin
help
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

korea need a lot of volunteers.
i know they'll provide u with food, but not sure about shelter and other stuff.
just letting u know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Korea_oil_spill
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:54 PM   #16
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I say go for it! The only thing to remember if you decide to volunteer and bounce around is to make your plans ahead of time! I personally love going to other countries that may be in better or worse situations it make you appreciate what you take for granted a lot more. A lot of people complain about how hard life is here but when you see how much harder life could be like without things like running water and electricity 24/7 you realize that you don't have it as bad
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #17
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

DAmnit man I absolutely love traveling. When i visit foreign countries I feel like i must move out of the states to actually enjoy my life. I just came back from japan in june and thailand in august and I absolutely want to move to those countrie,s I would love to visit North Korea, Iran, all those other "forbidden places." Seriously the most important deciding factor for colleges for me is a great study abroad system. Hope to spend half of my college years learning in a different country.

Anyways good luck finding a place to volunteer their time! I am pretty sure that going to a different country to volunteer your time will be excellent source of solace away from work.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #18
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
I had a friend travel around the world by herself for two years on very little money. She said her favorite place was Vietnam. She spent two months there, which was longer than she spent in most places. Most beautiful place was the Seychelles. Unfortunately, I'm not still in touch with her or I'd put you in touch.

Everyone I've ever talked to about the Peace Corps has said that it's like the State Dept in one sense -- as a newbie, you will get sent to where none of the people with more tenure want to go. Generally meaning, the more dangerous places. Keep that in mind if you do this!

Or just become a doctor and join Doctors Without Borders. I have friends who do that and it sounds very rewarding.
      12-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #19
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
Curious if anyone has any experience or advice with respect to volunteering or traveling abroad..

I could explain more later, but basically I'm thinking of putting everything in storage, selling the e90, and going for it.. I was thinking volunteering would be a cheap way (ususally food, shelter, etc is provided) to see different parts of the world, experience different cultures, however any other relatively low cost solutions would be greatly appreciated as well.. I want to be somewhere incredibly different.. Was thinking of taking a year or possibly more off from my current career (mechanical and aerospace engineering)..

I've done a lot of research already but thought it'd be worth a shot to ask here as well..

Thanks in advance,
Josh

PS. I'll also say it for the hell of it - if anyone else wants to go traveling/volunteering/backpacking etc as well, let me know.. Could be the best time of our lives..

I've spent about 2 mos in Africa volunteering. I led a group of other volunteers, we built over 30 homes and a 2000sqft school house.

I did mine over 4 trips, each about 2 weeks long over 2006 and 2007. I haven't just dropped and gone yet, but I may go for 2-3 mos Aug-Dec 2008.

The experience is amazing. I can't say enough good about it. Find something you are passionate about, and realize going in that it will be one of the hardest, yet most fulfilling things you ever do. My only advice - if you are going as a servant, be a servant. Serve God and those around you, and keep in mind that they just might have a better handle on what they need than you do. Your knowledge and experiences will be very valuable, but think of yourself as a consultant - give ideas, and then do whatever they need done, whether you think it's the best course or not. Don't sacrifice your integrity, morals or violate what you know is right from wrong, but within that framework, be a noble servant.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #20
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaultOne View Post
DAmnit man I absolutely love traveling. When i visit foreign countries I feel like i must move out of the states to actually enjoy my life. I just came back from japan in june and thailand in august and I absolutely want to move to those countrie,s I would love to visit North Korea, Iran, all those other "forbidden places." Seriously the most important deciding factor for colleges for me is a great study abroad system. Hope to spend half of my college years learning in a different country.

Anyways good luck finding a place to volunteer their time! I am pretty sure that going to a different country to volunteer your time will be excellent source of solace away from work.
you dont wanna go to iran
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #21
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
watch your tail wherever you go.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #22
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Mid life crisis???
Hit up Africa and go mine some blood diamonds.
I plan to travel the world for a year after college as well..
Try and figure out where I want to live, and what I like.
Iceland and the Isle of Mann look nice.

-Nathan