E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > USMC, here I come.

12-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #23
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
Thanks for your support guys. =) I appreciate it.

As for those asking me to look into the Air Force (or is it Chair Force? heh) I thought about it, but it's not quite right for me. I've been destined to be a Marine since birth. lol. I just convinced the Marines to make it more right for me.

As for the computer stuff, it's just icing, not my goal. I'm doing computer sciences in the Marines for two reasons; Firstly, it's a real world usable talent, so I could use it for a job after service. Secondly, it's non-direct combat. It's not my reason for joining.

I'm joining for the benefits, the glory, and the education, but mostly the education.

When I get out of the service I will have no debt, enough money to buy a house, real world skills, and a degree. It's what I need.

I hate to agree anyone who want to join the marine. however this time. i have to agreed with him.. I agreed you can use your GI Bill for education. However, the downside to using your GI Bill for your education. it can only support your education to university for like maybe 2 years at the California State level. or 1 semester at usc. lol. Before you recieve your GI Bill, YOu need to pay them xx amount $$ for 12 month to claim your GI Bill.. suck uh.. lol.. It feel good to in the service in any brand of the military. People respect you anywhere you go. As for VA loan, you can buy your house at lowest cost and downpayment. I bought my home in la for 1000 DOwn and 4.5 *30 years Fixed rate* in 1996.. lol im old eh.. lol.. You get free stuffs when you at the dmv like registration fee. Unless they change the rules. Of course where ever you go like Greyhound bus or cruise or fly, You get military discount. Sorry about your Debt. YOu still have your debt regardless if you are in the military. However, you are already in a marine corp. You dont have much time to spend your money. You can use the money to pay off your debt. Word to the wise MATT. I want to give you this advice. Pick your Duty that relate to civilian duty. Otherwise, your skill in the marine no longer valid or apply after you are not in the service.

Im not saying Marine Corp are bad.. We are at war with Radical Muslim group.
If you decide to bail out while you are in the war, You can get charge with death pentality in Military court. They will put you in jail for life. NO way out.

This is rule apply to all Brand of the military. UCMJ .. If you decide to get out from the marine because after you have experience it. You can contact me. i will show you now to get out.. Remember this MATT. UCMJ BOOK is your New BIBLE NOW.. lol
      12-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #24
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The GI bill will support me just fine, because I'm going to finish most of my degree at NO cost to myself while I'm in active duty, so the GI bill will pay for my remaining classes.

And I will have no debt because my enlistment bonus is going to pay off almost all of it, and I will pay off the rest while in duty.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #25
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

UCMJ and all FM/FR/Rs anything written is your best friends period.

So you're going to be a leatherneck psssh

rofl goodluck its all good. Service is service
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #26
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
The GI bill will support me just fine, because I'm going to finish most of my degree at NO cost to myself while I'm in active duty, so the GI bill will pay for my remaining classes.

And I will have no debt because my enlistment bonus is going to pay off almost all of it, and I will pay off the rest while in duty.

Here is a rule of thumb. MAKE THEM WRITE TO YOU ANYTHING PROMISSEDN TO YOU IN PAPER AND INK. They will screw you over at any given time if only they get away with it
      12-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #27
E36_325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 325i + '06 M3

Oh man,
Had I been able to chime in on your other thread, I would have lead you in a different direction. One that goes like...

Join the National Guard doing any job
Get 100% college tuition
A decent signing bonus, they pay out pretty good these day

You could have worked full time and done your one weekend a month while going to college NOW. All this while the army pays your tuition when the bill comes. Use the bonus money to pay off your debts. And not have to deal w/ the military BS.

I'll assume you aleady researched that option and found it not to be right for you. If so, good luck w/ the corps.
      12-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #28
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by inabis View Post
good luck man...I'd say look into the AF especially if you want to do computers but hey it's your decision....where's dr325i now??? I bet he shut up...lol

I wish him best of luck whatever he choses for his future...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #29
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Congrats on being able to decide where to begin the next part of your life.

Best of luck to you and thank you for serving our country.

Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #30
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

You go guard, you go to Iraq (these days that is). Not like you wouldn't with Marines, but we do 15 month deployments now and marines do 6. But it all depends on what you want to do

oh and hope you can run a damn good 3 miles rofl
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #31
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Matt,

Best of luck. My father was in the Marines and served in Vietnam for a while. He always tells me joining the Marines was the best thing he ever did. It taught him a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #32
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for your support guys. =) I appreciate it.

As for those asking me to look into the Air Force (or is it Chair Force? heh) I thought about it, but it's not quite right for me. I've been destined to be a Marine since birth. lol. I just convinced the Marines to make it more right for me.

As for the computer stuff, it's just icing, not my goal. I'm doing computer sciences in the Marines for two reasons; Firstly, it's a real world usable talent, so I could use it for a job after service. Secondly, it's non-direct combat. It's not my reason for joining.

I'm joining for the benefits, the glory, and the education, but mostly the education.

When I get out of the service I will have no debt, enough money to buy a house, real world skills, and a degree. It's what I need.
I hate to sound like a dick, but that sounds like straight up military propaganda.

If it was that easy why arent there enough troops? There are many thing you need to realize and also realize they will lie to get your signature.

Once you sign they own you. Even after your term is served. I dont know, I'd rather try and find other options first.
      12-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #33
tryangles
LA Native
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 sdrive35i

Quote:

Matt - Check out www.excelsior.edu - They are a big online military college educator and we have a few people in Congress with degrees attained from this college while in the service. They are very very affordable and recognized. My brother went here and got his AA, transferred to Pasadena City with no problems and then UCLA.

As for the military good luck with that and be safe. Just remember that they have this thing called 'stop loss' that's screwing a ton of our service people over. I have a few friends and relatives that should've been out years ago but got screwed and are now basically forced to serve. - So much for their life plans...

Best wishes and god speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #34
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

So we dont have to deal with you anymore?

JK, Good luck man, make the best of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryangles View Post
Matt - Check out www.excelsior.edu - They are a big online military college educator and we have a few people in Congress with degrees attained from this college while in the service. They are very very affordable and recognized. My brother went here and got his AA, transferred to Pasadena City with no problems and then UCLA.
lol EXCELSIOR! (Al Gore South Park)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #35
GreddyBoy858
Mack
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics..._of_the_draft/

Interesting article...
2006 BMW 325i / Jet Black / Black Dakota / Step / Nav w/ iDrive/ Premium / Sport / Sat Radio/ Adaptive Xenon Headlights / Debadged / Chrome Exhaust Tips / Rear Foglight Mod. / Rear DC Power Outlet Mod. / 20% Tint
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #36
richeerich03
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

It's kinda funny reading this because you really have no idea.. You sound just like a recruiter.

You pay $100 a month for one year to DFAS for a total of $1200. They may offer a kicker later in your time of service. You pay them an extra $600 and it may increase your monthly GI Bill payments up an extra $150 or $5400 towards or GI Bill. Pay it.. Trust me.. They might not tell you this but all you have to serve is "2 years" in active duty to receive the gi bill..

I took classes also my first year in. Sure your Command will tell you to got for it, but your training comes first. They are gonna tell you that you didn't join to go to college, you joined to serve. I was one of few sailors in a marine squadron, and my MSgt denied my request the next semester cuz I would miss his afternoon PT...

Enlistment bonus the best deal so far ... I didn't find out until basic but it ensures you that you will do an extra year for your country... I think that year starts after basic and your school..

As for the debt, don't get the NEX card... lol

Just giving you a heads up on some BS you will learn your first year in..

Here is some good reading material..
Gi Bill info
      12-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #37
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richeerich03 View Post
It's kinda funny reading this because you really have no idea.. You sound just like a recruiter.

You pay $100 a month for one year to DFAS for a total of $1200. They may offer a kicker later in your time of service. You pay them an extra $600 and it may increase your monthly GI Bill payments up an extra $150 or $5400 towards or GI Bill. Pay it.. Trust me.. They might not tell you this but all you have to serve is "2 years" in active duty to receive the gi bill..

I took classes also my first year in. Sure your Command will tell you to got for it, but your training comes first. They are gonna tell you that you didn't join to go to college, you joined to serve. I was one of few sailors in a marine squadron, and my MSgt denied my request the next semester cuz I would miss his afternoon PT...

Enlistment bonus the best deal so far ... I didn't find out until basic but it ensures you that you will do an extra year for your country... I think that year starts after basic and your school..

Gi Bill info

DUde i know what you mean man .. i was in the us navy for 7 years. i want to get out so bad at the beginning. However, you growth yourself into the corp after 5 years. later. 5 yrs later. you can say Good buy to all the good thing in life. If you have a wife, it is very tough for her to wait for you to come home. It is even tough enough to have an officier in the corp and telling your love one. We are deeply sad and sorry that your son KIA... Hey Rich. i did not apply my nex card when i was there. I just show my NAVY ID aka CHow id.. lol i dont have to pay tax..

Trust me matt , were you working at Woodland Hill BMW Dealer? why would you want to give up that job. If you want to pay your debt. Uncle Sam only pay you 4.25 / Hr right.. you have to be ready to be awake for 24 hr in case they need you.. HINT. Standing watch are usually about 4 to 6 hrs at the boot camp. If someone did not like you . they put you at 00 to 500 hr. lol Military time for you to sleep is 2200 hr.. (10 pm) you have to relief that person before you at 2345 ..

Hint MAtt. NO Car Mag. NO communicate with your love one. You get medical shoot in 6 different area of your body. the needle is like 4 inches long. you march in the rain. You sick at boot camp. guess what. they will hold u back and make you repeat over again. No Woman. NO sex. NO TV. you sleep either above or beneath a smelly guy or gay guy.. . You need to know how to make your bed within 5 miins times. Your recruiter does want you to know. YOu take a shower with 30 guys.
the shower only last about 5 to 7 mins long. The bed in the barrack stink because sometime those guys pee on their bed.
Those bed are like 50 years old in the barrack. You see ghost sometime. lol Some barrack are haunted cause alot of kid killed themself cause they cant take the pressure. The Marine corp will brain wash you.

Last edited by LACA335i; 12-11-2007 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #38
orangepeelforest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i F30

Garage List
2016 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richeerich03 View Post

Gi Bill info
yeah i have to agree with you about time for school. its not impossible to get classes in but extremely difficult. training comes first and you never know if your going to be in the field or working late, on nights what ever. i know some one that signed up for the same class 4 times and had to drop it every time. sure it didn't cost him any thing but thats a huge pain in the ass.

please dont let this sound like im trying to discourage you matt. you will probably like most aspects of it and i don't think you will regret joining when you get done and look back. good luck and have fun at basic.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #39
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
You see ghost sometime. lol Some barrack are haunted cause alot of kid killed themself cause they cant take the pressure.

For real? Come on...ghosts? Seriously?

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #40
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
Hint MAtt. NO Car Mag. NO communicate with your love one. You get medical shoot in 6 different area of your body. the needle is like 4 inches long. you march in the rain. You sick at boot camp. guess what. they will hold u back and make you repeat over again. No Woman. NO sex. NO TV. you sleep either above or beneath a smelly guy or gay guy.. . You need to know how to make your bed within 5 miins times. Your recruiter does want you to know. YOu take a shower with 30 guys.
the shower only last about 5 to 7 mins long. The bed in the barrack stink because sometime those guys pee on their bed.
Those bed are like 50 years old in the barrack. You see ghost sometime. lol Some barrack are haunted cause alot of kid killed themself cause they cant take the pressure. The Marine corp will brain wash you.
You ask two different soldiers, sailors, marines, or airmen, and their experiences and opinions will be completely different. Some have That said, basic is always going to be basic, its not for people that can't go without certain luxuries for certain amounts of time. It's not made to be easy and fun. Hell, if you can't go without some of that stuff for any period of time you shouldn't even consider the military at all. I remember a few guys that couldn't hack it, but they were the type that shouldn't have ever been there in the first place. Mental toughness has alot to do with it. IMO I thought basic was cake, and the US Army is Infantry School is just as long and difficult as the Marine's Boot Camp. The one thing to remember, training is only temporary. It's not forever. It sucks sometimes, but that should be expected. You get through it, look back at it, and say "that wasn't that bad". I had some of the best times of my life while I was in, and some of the worst. From my experience they outweighed the bad. But thats just me. Don't get me wrong, there is ALOT of BS to put up with at times, but some people make it out to sound worse than it actually is. So many people are under the impression that the whole time you're in the military, its like basic training or boot the entire time. Nothing could be further from the truth. At least in my old unit I'm vouching for (173rd Airborne Brigade).

Ghosts huh? I've lived in probably a dozen barracks and can't say I have ever seen a ghost
      12-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #41
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Matt, when are you planning on joining? I still need some brake work on my E46 . Just wondering how long you'll be available.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #42
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
And, BTW... I am happy for you in your decision. It's something that seems like you've put alot of time and thought into. I wish you the best in succeeding in your future goals and protecting our country.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #43
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
My last day here at Center BMW will be 31 December 2007.

I plan to ship to basic on 7 January, or 14 January, 2008.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #44
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura MDX, 2011 335is Coupe

Dont rush anything yet.......what is your MOS of choice if you dont mind me asking or if you haven't signed yet......It sounds shady......
Appreciate 0