E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Spoiled kids!@

12-10-2005, 01:33 AM   #23
Arby 330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jet black 330

i meant that as in you dont feel like a bitch when you have to have the girl take you places and you rely on her.... i didnt mean just with cars, that meant things in general. Being the macho man that i am, i like to be the one in charge... idk about u guys!

5% suntek- all the way around (15% strip on front winshield)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 01:36 AM   #24
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

macho man? oooook
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 01:38 AM   #25
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Parents can buy their kids whatever they want to, some will grow up to be winners and others will grow up to be losers, whether you spoil them or not. It's none of my concern.

When I have kids in the future though I won't be buying them anything JUST because they want it, I'll decide whether they deserve something, if they do, I'll buy it for them. Money is there to be spent, and they can very well be spent on nice things for kids, but they just need to be spent properly and correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 02:08 AM   #26
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xens
Parents can buy their kids whatever they want to, some will grow up to be winners and others will grow up to be losers, whether you spoil them or not. It's none of my concern.

When I have kids in the future though I won't be buying them anything JUST because they want it, I'll decide whether they deserve something, if they do, I'll buy it for them. Money is there to be spent, and they can very well be spent on nice things for kids, but they just need to be spent properly and correctly.
only time will tell.......
      12-10-2005, 02:29 AM   #27
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blke90man
I was anticipating a 97' teal honda civic lx for my 16th birthday (Dec 26). It was my dad's commuter and I was more than happy to take it off his hands. I just wanted to drive...any car would do. Come christmas morning, I open the last present, and it's the key for the civic. I go outside because my dad tells me he put some new wheels on it. I step into the garage and there is a 1999 jet black 323i with a big bow on it. I was in shock, I couldn't believe that my dad did this for me. It was a CPO with 46000 miles on, but it was all mine and I was so surprised. Two months later I got a job and sarted paying 200 a month towards the car. My dad never asked me for money, but for some reason I always felt better knowing that I was helping pay my own way. Now I have and e90 and still pay for half the car. I just couldn't imagine actually going to the dealership and picking out a $40,000 car for my 16th birthday...no matter how much money my family has, it seems a little selfish if you ask me.
Your being brought up with values & your parents should be proud!
Real shame more young adults are not like you, they take & take!

In my teens & even way later all I cared about is giving best to my parents!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 02:36 AM   #28
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
that's the sick part... girls have their dads wrapped around their finger... never helps when you know a hott girl w/ a hott car. I hope when I have kids that should I have a daughter I'd allow her to pull my strings.
Boys pull strings just as good as girls if not better!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 03:45 AM   #29
ihavedrivenanm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ['02 e46] '06 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby 330
I dont flaunt my money around...
Uhh...doesn't sound like you have any money.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 08:46 AM   #30
ek9hatch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
hmmm...i fit this article perfectly, except that i'm paying for mine..so i guess that doesnt considered as spoiled. although it is true that there are more nice car in high school now since there are G35s and IS300s in my school, some dude that drives an evo and a girl that drives a jaguar. i even asked them if they are paying for their cars and none of them are...so i guess this article is right.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #31
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek9hatch00
hmmm...i fit this article perfectly, except that i'm paying for mine..so i guess that doesnt considered as spoiled. although it is true that there are more nice car in high school now since there are G35s and IS300s in my school, some dude that drives an evo and a girl that drives a jaguar. i even asked them if they are paying for their cars and none of them are...so i guess this article is right.
Well obviously they aren't pay for their cars. How in the world do you expect a 16-17 yr old to pay for a range rover?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 09:55 AM   #32
bmwbenz0101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

My high school is ridiculous. First of all the cars that parents drive are bentleys, ferraris, benz,range rovers, and BMW. If u have a lexus it's looked on as a cheap car. Secondly, my high school parking lot is even more ridiculous. Honeslty, for a high school with only 400 kids I cannot believe the cars that these kids have. BMW 745Li, 6series, a few range rover sports, a bunch of M3s(thats a really popular one), a ton of e46 325s, and 330s. A CLS or two. A ton of g35s. Like everyone has a g35, thats why I don't want one. And already there are like 5 e90s...One kid has a mercedes g55, a M3, and a Range Rover Sport. Another has a porsche cayenne, after he totaled his SL500. This one girl has an SL55. 99.9% of peoples parents cant afford that car and she got it at 16..Ridiculous!...

My school is a bubble and I realize that its not all like that at all. I am probably going to get the new E92 that is comming out with sport and premium. I realize how lucky I am. I am only getting this car because of my grades. My parents were like the better ur grades are the nicer the car. So I have been working my ass off to get good grades so I can get this car...

Really though, the kids that are the most spoiled about there money are usually the kids whose parents have New Money. The kids whose grandparents were rich are almost always really down to earth. It all depends though some not rich people are jerks and other super rich people..you would never even know they had money.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #33
nyfinest
My other car is below !!!!
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Cpe S

Garage List
2008 328xi Coupe  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
"Macho-Man" = "Village People" ?????
      12-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #34
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbenz0101
My high school is ridiculous. First of all the cars that parents drive are bentleys, ferraris, benz,range rovers, and BMW. If u have a lexus it's looked on as a cheap car. Secondly, my high school parking lot is even more ridiculous. Honeslty, for a high school with only 400 kids I cannot believe the cars that these kids have. BMW 745Li, 6series, a few range rover sports, a bunch of M3s(thats a really popular one), a ton of e46 325s, and 330s. A CLS or two. A ton of g35s. Like everyone has a g35, thats why I don't want one. And already there are like 5 e90s...One kid has a mercedes g55, a M3, and a Range Rover Sport. Another has a porsche cayenne, after he totaled his SL500. This one girl has an SL55. 99.9% of peoples parents cant afford that car and she got it at 16..Ridiculous!...

My school is a bubble and I realize that its not all like that at all. I am probably going to get the new E92 that is comming out with sport and premium. I realize how lucky I am. I am only getting this car because of my grades. My parents were like the better ur grades are the nicer the car. So I have been working my ass off to get good grades so I can get this car...

Really though, the kids that are the most spoiled about there money are usually the kids whose parents have New Money. The kids whose grandparents were rich are almost always really down to earth. It all depends though some not rich people are jerks and other super rich people..you would never even know they had money.
Yeah I was only describing the high school kids in my area. The parents are a different story as well. I see about 3-4 Bentley GTs on a daily basis during my pass through the town. And two blocks from my street the guy has a Ferrari 360 Modena. When you pass through the super rich part of my town. This ony guy likes to showcase his $300,000 Lamborghini Murcielago. Fly Yellow with Black seats. The Murcielago pictures on the internet do it no justice. In person it looks amazing!

I agree with you on part of people with new money tend to be more flamboyant and like to flant their wealth. Old money people usually do the opposite. I believe that's because they are really accustomed to the money and really not being put down by others in society. But, if they are new money, most likely they were in poverty at some point and now just want to show people in the world that they have "made it".
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 10:05 AM   #35
ShinyRedCar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
It's kinda crazy to think of some kids getting first cars that many adults could only dream of ever acquiring.
It IS crazy! Did you guys read about Arby 330, the 17 year old above? I didn't (couldn't) get my first BMW until after I got my doctoral degree which pushed me to the top of the food chain at my job...and I was 36 years old then! My parents had money but we had to earn everything we got because they believed in teaching us the value of a dollar. I don't understand parents today...they're trying too hard to be friends with their kids instead of 'parents'. Sorry guys...this is turning into a rant! It's a beautiful sunny morning here in California and I'm going to go outside with my 2 boys and do some yard work...they want to earn some money to buy comic books

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #36
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGervasi
It IS crazy! Did you guys read about Arby 330, the 17 year old above? I didn't (couldn't) get my first BMW until after I got my doctoral degree which pushed me to the top of the food chain at my job...and I was 36 years old then! My parents had money but we had to earn everything we got because they believed in teaching us the value of a dollar. I don't understand parents today...they're trying too hard to be friends with their kids instead of 'parents'. Sorry guys...this is turning into a rant! It's a beautiful sunny morning here in California and I'm going to go outside with my 2 boys and do some yard work...they want to earn some money to buy comic books
Parents now a days are really career oriented and don't have the time to spend with their children. So what do they do? They give them everything they desire in the hopes of compensating for the time they could not spend with their kids. I know most of my friends growing up were practically raised by their housekeepers and maids. It's pretty sad if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #37
ShinyRedCar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusinvestor
Parents now a days are really career oriented and don't have the time to spend with their children. So what do they do? They give them everything they desire in the hopes of compensating for the time they could not spend with their kids. I know most of my friends growing up were practically raised by their housekeepers and maids. It's pretty sad if you ask me.

Learn from this.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 10:33 AM   #38
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
I usually like seeing my car place first, but somehow seeing it at the top of that list kind of sucks.

As far as parents buying their kids expensive cars. I was gifted a car when I was 16... it was a 4 year old Suzuki 4x4 that was slow as hell. I loved it though.
Working up the ladder since then allows me to appreciate having a new BMW at my age (25).

I can't imagine having only ever driven brand new luxury cars... being able to ever really appreciate them any more then anyone born in a first world country appreciates the things we are "spoiled" by (i.e. running water, roof over our heads, people not shooting each other outside on the streets, etc...). If you've driven shitty cars before and pay for your E90 with your own money, you should be smug knowing that you appreciate what you have more than someone handed the same thing ever could.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 10:53 AM   #39
RadM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition

There are rich and poor kids who are both well and not well adjusted. It's all the parenting that leads up to something like purchasing a $$$ car for say the 16th b-day. If my kid is a slacker, doesn't do well (or try) in school, hangs out with a suspect crowd, etc...he(she) sure aint gettin' a Bimmer. If the grades are good (and he/she cares and tries), has good group of friends, understands what money means...maybe a nice car as positive reinforcement could be on the horizon.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #40
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
I dont think there is anything wrong with getting a pre-owned bmw as a kids first car, they are safe and fun to drive. Im talking about like an late model e36 stick, I know that e36 m3 4 door is one of the most wanted car in my local highschool since its somewhat affordable 17k-18k.

If you are very wealthy and can afford to give ur kids 50k-70k cars, than it is a very bad idea, because the kids wil feel like they dont have to try in life, they will get lazy and not want to do anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #41
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

I don't get why it's so bad if parents buy their children a nice car. It really should depend on what your family can afford. Of coures if someone's parents are each making 100k+ a year, it won't matter if the kid gets a nice little car.

I go to school with kids who get cars before they even get their license. Barry Bonds' kid is a freshman at my school. Ever heard of FRY's ELECTRONICS? Yeah, the kid who's parents owns Fry's, goes to my school. And.. McDonalds? A kid's parents at my school owns 21 McDonalds chains in California. ANDD kids fly to Lake Tahoe in tehir private jets on weekends to go skiing.

So.. I mean.. it really depends on how much moeny you have. if your parents are practically growing money out of their butt, a 30-40k car is not a big deal. You can't expect people from upper class families to buy their cihld a used toyota carolla. That just doesnt fly.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #42
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni

If you are very wealthy and can afford to give ur kids 50k-70k cars, than it is a very bad idea, because the kids wil feel like they dont have to try in life, they will get lazy and not want to do anything.

I seriously do NOT think that's true. A lot of my friends are Asian, including myself, and our parents have worked so hard after they came here from various parts of Asia to provide us with a better life. It's their decisions to give us waht they think is best. Also, a good kid will appreciate what their parents give htem, and in turn, try to do well in school etc.

I have TONS of older friends who grew up rich and are NO WAY "lazy in life." I've had friends who've grown up rich and are now in grad school. I even know kids who were really rich when they were in high school and they went to college and came back to teach at my high school.

SO like really, your accussation is not even correct. I live with enough rich kids to know that they're not all lazy. Some kids are just lucky to have parents who are rich -- that doesnt mean you can assume they wont get anywhere in life.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #43
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

See, a lot of you guys live in rich areas. I guess wealth is relative--if you're a billionaire and have kids, I guess an E90 could be considered a poor man's car.

But I'm talking from one of the poorest areas in the state. There isn't a main campus university within 25 miles of here, there are absolutely NO opportunities here, and often times the best paying jobs here are below minimum wage

I really live in a great area! It's no wonder all my friends took off years ago.

But my point is, every once in a while, when you do see a kid driving a $40,000 car at age 16, I guess you could see why that would piss off a lot of people. And then the kid turns out to have an attitude problem to boot!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #44
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroutte
I seriously do NOT think that's true. A lot of my friends are Asian, including myself, and our parents have worked so hard after they came here from various parts of Asia to provide us with a better life. It's their decisions to give us waht they think is best. Also, a good kid will appreciate what their parents give them, and in turn, try to do well in school etc.

I have TONS of older friends who grew up rich and are NO WAY "lazy in life." I've had friends who've grown up rich and are now in grad school. I even know kids who were really rich when they were in high school and they went to college and came back to teach at my high school.

SO like really, your accussation is not even correct. I live with enough rich kids to know that they're not all lazy. Some kids are just lucky to have parents who are rich -- that doesnt mean you can assume they wont get anywhere in life.
This is true. It's also true that many "rich" kids pursue other careers that aren't based around money. They become highly educated and work with charitable organizations, or are doctors or lawyers doing lots of pro bono type work, etc...

Many "rich" kids also realize that just because their parents make six figures and can afford the lease payments on an E90 for them doesn't mean they aren't going to have to pull their own weight in the world. I think it's actually an awkward place to be in since just maintaining the lifestyle you became accustomed to growing up can be hard if your parents aren't quite rich enough to float you for the rest of your life. There's a big difference between "look at the entry level luxury car my dad got me" rich, and "I was born with 8 figures worth of shares in the family business" rich.
Appreciate 0