E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Is BMW really best?

05-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

Is BMW really best?

With the risk of being labeled blasphemous, one observation i had, whether other members on here will agree publicly or not, is that pride is based on ownership.

Its like those parents who think their kids are perfect, well behaved little people. You know, the types that put their kids in karate, soccer, baseball, chess camp and PSAT courses, when their kid just graduated from diapers to pull-ups like 8 days ago.

I mean really. Yeah, we all love our cars, but some people on here go ga-ga over a piece of checkered white and blue on a circular plastic disc.

I remember when i used to frequent the Acura TL website (Acura-tl.com, now Acurazine.com). We all thought the TL was bad a55. Just for kicks, I logged on yesterday and was perusing the posts. Lo and behold, we have the SAME type of threads, "I killed XYZ car," and "Acura TL review in XYZ magazine," and my personal favorite, "How DO you afford the Acura TL/What is your profession."

Before that, for me, it was the Gen 4, as we called it, Honda prelude. We [owners] thought that was an awesome car, and swore we'd drive it till they died. I did, i crashed it and it was totalled, but the other, more fortunate did not. They graduated college, got a good paying job, and moved up into Audi A4's, Acura TL's, Infinity G35's, and a few, moved into E46's. But wait, what happened to drive it till I die? They got more money and moved up. Its the natural course of things.

So a lot of us talk that the E90 is the best car because of this and that, but thats only because we own it. If your next car is a Lexus, you'll never hear (or very few would say), "man, I miss my bemer." Presuming your progressing in life and not regressing, the Lexus or whatever car you may be in would be better than the E90, so I guess that is to be expected.

cliffnotes: My only thing is, for those that bash other brands, get real. You may be putting your foot in your mouth without even realizing it.

Last edited by tl_boy; 05-01-2006 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I dont claim to own a Koenigsegg... Then I would own one of the best cars around...

The E90 is a good car. There will always be better...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
hey..is a dog eat dog world
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
tl_boy
Major
Rep

I really think the E90 is a great car, but I dont think its really the "best" in any one category. Neither in speed, nor handling, nor resale, nor prestige, nor value. Even though it may not be the best, I realize that it would score very good in all these areas, and I guess that is why it is such an attraction. I enjoy it too, but just can't understand why some make such a huge deal about it.

Honestly, I think Lexus is a superior brand, if not to BMW, but at least to MB. Our family has owned two of them (1 LS400 and now one LS430), and S500 MB, and E Class MB and the Lexus was better than both MB's, I'd say by a fair amount. Of course, it is unfair to compare a LS to a 325i, but the build quality, available gadgetry, finish, and materials of Lexus was perfection. I found the E90 comparable to E class in terms of those attributes, maybe its a German thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
I really think the E90 is a great car, but I dont think its really the "best" in any one category. Neither in speed, nor handling, nor resale, nor prestige, nor value. Even though it may not be the best, I realize that it would score very good in all these areas, and I guess that is why it is such an attraction. I enjoy it too, but just can't understand why some make such a huge deal about it.

Honestly, I think Lexus is a superior brand, if not to BMW, but at least to MB. Our family has owned two of them (1 LS400 and now one LS430), and S500 MB, and E Class MB and the Lexus was better than both MB's, I'd say by a fair amount. Of course, it is unfair to compare a LS to a 325i, but the build quality, available gadgetry, finish, and materials of Lexus was perfection. I found the E90 comparable to E class in terms of those attributes, maybe its a German thing.
It's a driver's thing. If you truly enjoy a car and pushing it to what it's capable of at times, there's nothing better than the 3-series in its class. That's why a big deal is made of the E90. The things you named above are things that Lexus does well, but which car wins the sports sedan category year after year? The 3-series.... and why? Because the people reviewing the cars are car enthusiasts and into driving, and that's why the car gets the acclaim that it does.

You can't just say "lexus" is a superior brand without qualifying that statement as to what it is that it's "superior" in. It may be superior in leather quality or gadgets or some of the stuff you listed, but is it superior in driving dynamics? The auto industry reviewers don't seem to think so, and many here who have test driven both prior to purchase also don't think so.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
donger274
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

i drive a honda. I wish i had a s2000, type R anything die hard honda guy. But i love BMWs, but its out of my price range 17 years old with no job.
      05-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

i think you're right on OP

the 3 series is a great car, but it's a compromise

the 3 series isn't the sportiest, or the cheapest, or the fastest, or the most luxurious, but it's pretty good at all of the criteria above

the people who kill me are the ones who think the 3 series is the sportiest thing around. The 3 series is good, but there are many many cars on the road that are faster in a straight line and also on a racetrack.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
tl_boy
Major
Rep

Driving dynamics, of course lexus is not. it drives more or less like a boat when compared to bmw. However, I would say that it is probably the BEST Luxury car, at least from my exp (okay, haven't test driven a maybach, but compared to 7 series, jag, S class), AND its cheaper to boot.

We can't really say the e90 is best at any one thing, in any price category, with the exception of sport sedan under x amount of dollars.

And many members on here are paying over $40k for their bemers, well, at that price point isn't a vette better? (starts at $43,690 according to edmunds.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
It's a driver's thing. If you truly enjoy a car and pushing it to what it's capable of at times, there's nothing better than the 3-series in its class. That's why a big deal is made of the E90. The things you named above are things that Lexus does well, but which car wins the sports sedan category year after year? The 3-series.... and why? Because the people reviewing the cars are car enthusiasts and into driving, and that's why the car gets the acclaim that it does.

You can't just say "lexus" is a superior brand without qualifying that statement as to what it is that it's "superior" in. It may be superior in leather quality or gadgets or some of the stuff you listed, but is it superior in driving dynamics? The auto industry reviewers don't seem to think so, and many here who have test driven both prior to purchase also don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
Driving dynamics, of course lexus is not. it drives more or less like a boat when compared to bmw. However, I would say that it is probably the BEST Luxury car, at least from my exp (okay, haven't test driven a maybach, but compared to 7 series, jag, S class), AND its cheaper to boot.

We can't really say the e90 is best at any one thing, in any price category, with the exception of sport sedan under x amount of dollars.

And many members on here are paying over $40k for their bemers, well, at that price point isn't a vette better? (starts at $43,690 according to edmunds.com)
I really do agree with you, the 3 isn't the "best" at anything

what it gives you is 8/10 the sportyness of the vette with 8/10 of the luxury of the lexus

the thing that makes the 3 so popular is that it's such a jack of all trades. You can get more luxury or more sport but not without giving up major concessions in other areas.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
tl_boy
Major
Rep

, i dunno about 8/10 sportiness of a vette? Vettes pushing over 400 horses. 330i is what, 255? vette does 1g on the skidpad. whats the e90 with sport package? Vette does, what 4.2 60? we're at 60-70% best.

8/10 luxury of lexus? naww.... maybe 60%

Hey, but for a daily driver, 4 seater, yeah, I love it too.

Maybe the trick is to own 3 cars: A compact hybrid daily driver, a Lexus SUV for luxury, and a vette for the weekend spirited drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I really do agree with you, the 3 isn't the "best" at anything

what it gives you is 8/10 the sportyness of the vette with 8/10 of the luxury of the lexus

the thing that makes the 3 so popular is that it's such a jack of all trades. You can get more luxury or more sport but not without giving up major concessions in other areas.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #11
ward
Major General
Rep

I think you're on the ball with the multiple car angle

a 3 series and a sports car

perfect combo

I would never personally want such a bland vehicle as a lexus SUV (or any suv for that point, with possible exeption of the Cayenne)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #12
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

No manufacturer is "the best" for everyone. If BMW was "the best" according to everyone then why would anyone buy any other car for the same price or a higher amount? I bought my car because it best fit my wants and needs, but I certainly don't go around saying that BMWs are the best.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #13
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Yes, BMW is really the best. Anyone who disagrees shall be excommunicated from the Church of the Roundel. You have been warned, potential heretic.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #14
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
HAHAAH...I dunno.

My previous cars were a Toyota Corolla and a Nissan Sentra....I always refered to them as POS...but they sure were freaking reliable. I could not wait to move onto another vehicle, and was glad when I finally got rid of them. My first stop...BMW E90...will it be my last stop. Not likely, but its freaking awesome for the time being.
      05-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #15
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

what the hell is "the best"??? best in handling?? craftsmanship?? what???
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #16
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Yes, BMW is really the best. Anyone who disagrees shall be excommunicated from the Church of the Roundel. You have been warned, potential heretic.

You need to get out more
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
You need to get out more
I get out too much. Where do you think all this explosive creativeness comes from?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #18
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

drugs

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #19
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
drugs

NUH UH!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #20
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

yeah huh

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #21
RGRAY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi SG/TERRA/STEP/SP/HS/CA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
...the 3 series isn't the sportiest, or the cheapest, or the fastest, or the most luxurious, but it's pretty good at all of the criteria above...
I agree, but I think it's better than "pretty good" at all the criteria above.

After all it is the sport/luxury sedan of the year.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...20TINT%20A.jpg

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #22
tl_boy
Major
Rep

I had a short affair with a hand me down toyota corolla when I was 16. Those cars were damn reliable. Slow as sh*t, but trusty little boogers.

I laugh at them now, and at the people who drive them (i'm an arrogant BMW snob), but realize they are very good. If i was a housekeeper named Maria, yeah, it'd be in my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd
HAHAAH...I dunno.

My previous cars were a Toyota Corolla and a Nissan Sentra....I always refered to them as POS...but they sure were freaking reliable. I could not wait to move onto another vehicle, and was glad when I finally got rid of them. My first stop...BMW E90...will it be my last stop. Not likely, but its freaking awesome for the time being.
Appreciate 0