BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2024, 12:41 PM   #1
alikhansa
Registered
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2012

135i n55 2012 exhaust sound enhancement

I have a stock exhaust on my 135i that sounds amazing, but i wanted it to be louder and sportier. I was recommended to have downpipes, but i don’t know if it has to be with stage 1 tuning or not necessarily. As well, for a even sportier sound, i would remove the resonator, but the car would have drone sound. I just want a louder/sportier sound without messing with the mechanical components of the car. I don’t really care about the power of the car since it’s powerful enough. I would also like to add a medium burble sound while downshifting.
  1. What is the exhaust setup i have to apply?
  2. What parts of the exhaust should be removed or replaced?
  3. What tunes should i go for?
  4. What are the pros and cons of this setup?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 02:18 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikhansa View Post
I have a stock exhaust on my 135i that sounds amazing, but i wanted it to be louder and sportier. I was recommended to have downpipes, but i don’t know if it has to be with stage 1 tuning or not necessarily. As well, for a even sportier sound, i would remove the resonator, but the car would have drone sound. I just want a louder/sportier sound without messing with the mechanical components of the car. I don’t really care about the power of the car since it’s powerful enough. I would also like to add a medium burble sound while downshifting.
  1. What is the exhaust setup i have to apply?
  2. What parts of the exhaust should be removed or replaced?
  3. What tunes should i go for?
  4. What are the pros and cons of this setup?
Thanks in advance

Tune out the exhaust flap.

Overrun burble is also accomplished with tuning, though I'd recommend you just get MHD for that. Then follow supporting mods requirements as you change from map to map. It's a fun journey.
      01-17-2024, 03:46 PM   #3
JaridR
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just wanted to add my experience with sound modifying the N55. Exhaust isn’t the only place to look for a sportier sound. The first mod, and maybe my favorite sound wise was a BMS intake. Greatly increased the induction and turbo sounds as well as hearing the bypass valve. Next did the golf tee, and did not notice much of a difference.
Catted down pipe was next and made the car much louder. On cold starts the car is obnoxiously loud but quiets down after the waste gates close and rpm’s drop. I don’t see the need for me to get an aftermarket exhaust as this is as loud as I would want it. The car doesn’t drone significantly but it is there.
I do have an MHD to take advantage of the supporting mods, and would recommend even for just clearing the codes from the dp.
The car had a natural burble during off throttle or between shifts with everything stock, and it’s more pronounced with the dp.
Appreciate 0