E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyons used PODS for moving?

03-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Anyons used PODS for moving?

I was looking into this option and it says to call for an estimate but there is no even approximate price. Does anyone know how much it usually is compared to a normal moving service?

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
uhh... Nikki, the quote tool's right on the main page.

Click the little circle next to "moving" and it'll allow you to enter the zip codes.
I looked into it since I'll soon be making the move from Detroit to Phoenix; but they were pretty pricey -- like over $3k. Guess it depends on how much stuff you have to move.
      03-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

its expensive, i moved from ft myers to orlando hey quoted me something ridiculouse like 1k

but i bet they have a really high initial cost
      03-23-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
uhh... Nikki, the quote tool's right on the main page.

Click the little circle next to "moving" and it'll allow you to enter the zip codes.
I looked into it since I'll soon be making the move from Detroit to Phoenix; but they were pretty pricey -- like over $3k. Guess it depends on how much stuff you have to move.
it said to call because its long distance

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
it said to call because its long distance
That's odd

Don't know what to tell you then, sorry.
      03-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

I've had good experiences with both North American and Mayflower.

PODS is a very attractive option, though. Theoretically, no movers touch your boxes. However, the driver could stop anywhere and go through your boxes, or it could be anyone working in the warehouse who decides to pilfer. But, it would be less people than with a moving company. Always go with a well known mover for moving, not fly-by-night. Did a local move a while back where the crew tried to steal a box from me - found it in the back of the truck under some blankets when I went in the truck to look for a lost screw. Damn I was pissed - should have called the cops. Jokes on them if they stole it though; that box was full of old shoes.

If you don't do PODS, get a firm/fixed cost of the entire move before you start. It will be higher than an estimate, but they always estimate lower than the true cost, to get your business over another mover. Get a few, free fixed/firm cost estimates before you decide on one.

I pack my things into boxes very carefully when moving. I always seem to use twice as many boxes as they estimate (lots of packing material, usually newsprint). The total cost is based on weight, so if you only get estimates and not firm prices, the eventual cost may be much higher. During the last move, I had over 300 boxes. I really gotta throw some stuff out...

Boston, is it? Got a place yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks, yeah I have a place in Boston. Sent the applications in this week

Well ok, here is my dilemma with moving.

From what my dad has told me, they give you a few day window not a specific move date. And he said in the past he has even had them show up 4 days later than that window.

My last final is the day before I graduate and I want to move out the day after I graduate. If I give them a window of before I graduate then what happens if they come while I'm taking a final? And I'll have to sleep on the floor for a couple days, but that's ok I guess.

If I give them a window of the day I want to move and a few days after then what if they don't show up until even further after that? My boyfriend is flying down to help me move and driving up with me and he can't tell his work he'll be gone for 3 days and actually be gone for 4 days or more.

So then I thought of the pod thing. I can just load it up and they can take it away whenever and I won't have to worry about being there.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

If you want to pay more, they will narrow your window.

It means local moving company comes to your home, loads everything onto a truck, then to the warehouse where it is offloaded. Then, when the scheduled long-haul truck comes through, your stuff is moved onto that truck. I've had to do it on a couple moves.

In South Florida, you're probably on the beginning end of a string of pickups, and the window will already be pretty narrow.

Just have your BF fly down a week after the scheduled pickup. Stay with a friend, have some fun. No worries for a week.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
If you want to pay more, they will narrow your window.

It means local moving company comes to your home, loads everything onto a truck, then to the warehouse where it is offloaded. Then, when the scheduled long-haul truck comes through, your stuff is moved onto that truck. I've had to do it on a couple moves.

In South Florida, you're probably on the beginning end of a string of pickups, and the window will already be pretty narrow.

Just have your BF fly down a week after the scheduled pickup. Stay with a friend, have some fun. No worries for a week.
I don't have a friend to stay with and I want to move into my apartment I'm going to be paying for starting April 27th.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Someone stole my POD from my driveway. I am not sure who was at fault, but it was never found. I only lost a couch and two chairs. :mad:
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catm3 View Post
Someone stole my POD from my driveway. I am not sure who was at fault, but it was never found. I only lost a couch and two chairs. :mad:
Man that sucks, at least you got money for new stuff though right? I wouldn't mind if someone stole my stupid couch lol it has stains all over it because they never put the microfiber protection spray on it that they were supposed to and nothing seems to get them out. :mad:

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Man that sucks, at least you got money for new stuff though right? I wouldn't mind if someone stole my stupid couch lol it has stains all over it because they never put the microfiber protection spray on it that they were supposed to and nothing seems to get them out. :mad:
Yes, I did get reimbursed. The items weren't too expensive. If I wasn't honest, I would have told them about the 50" plasma TV inside!

It was crazy though. They have had reported break ins, but no one had actually stole the whole POD itself. The thing wasn't small at all. They still aren't sure how the whole POD was stolen.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
wynner
Rep
n/a
Drives:

No, I've never used them. I had a dislocated disk when I last moved so I hired North American movers. I was pleasantly surprised with the overall care and understanding North American showed me with my situation. The crew was marvelous. I was trying to do some packing myself, and I wasn't able to, so the crew did everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynner View Post
No, I've never used them. I had a dislocated disk when I last moved so I hired North American movers. I was pleasantly surprised with the overall care and understanding North American showed me with my situation. The crew was marvelous. I was trying to do some packing myself, and I wasn't able to, so the crew did everything.
Why are you resurrecting an almost two-year old thread ??
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
Why are you resurrecting an almost two-year old thread ??
+1 yeah, really? WTF dude?
      02-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #16
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
idiot
Appreciate 0