E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Dealing with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

10-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Dealing with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Hi everyone,

I know you guys aren't my therapists, but I was hoping for some advice.

I have pretty bad OCD's, and one of them is that I obsess over certain meaningless things, like failing at something so miniscule and unimportant. That thought just sticks to my mind, and every single day I can't stop thinking about it, and it slowly just eats away at me. I used to obsess over past girlfriends, but I've gotten that pretty much controlled and just don't give a fuck about women anymore. If a chick wants to date, great. If not, great. Idc. But, other things, like hearing a negative thing about me, I just obsess over, and can't move on, and it kills me inside.

My question is, those who have a milder OCD, how do you deal with it? What would be your advice?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I don't have OCD but the examples you mention seem pretty normal actually. OCD is more about repetition and rituals, I think. But anyways, my advice is that you need to distract yourself. Go out and be active as much as possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I think there is a difference between what you're describing and what OCD truly is:

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear or worry (obsessions), repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety (compulsions), or a combination of such obsessions and compulsions. Symptoms of the disorder include excessive washing or cleaning, repeated checking, extreme hoarding, preoccupation with sexual, violent or religious thoughts, relationship-related obsessions, aversion to particular numbers and nervous rituals such as opening and closing a door a certain number of times before entering or leaving a room.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I'm sure you're aware but your brain is making connections between things that do not exist in reality. I used to do things like kiss my wife three times when I left each morning and say things in a particular order. I did this until I watched an episode of "brain games" or something like that on NatGeo. It completely changed me and I've ditched all of the mild OCDs I used to have.

The bottom line is that the connections you make in your head are not real. Thinking that wearing a team jersey when watching a game or flipping a light switch a certain number of times has any effect on the outcome of any other event in the universe seems silly now, because it is. There simply is no connection.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Boben5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 328 coupe

A mild medication
      10-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

I have a fairly mild form of OCD. Nothing too bad or crazy, but still similar to what you seem to go through, as well as doing very repetitive rituals and whatnot. In regards to the former, the best way that I deal with it (which isn't even that great) is to just try and bury it and think about other things. It still sucks, and I know it shouldn't suck. I look at other people taking the same shit and being un-phased by it, and that sort of makes me feel better. But usually I just push it down and try to bury it under other thoughts. I also have a lot of intrusive thoughts, which suck. Makes me feel like a bad person at times, lol. But I know that it's just something that happens, and I've learned to brush it off. In regards to the repetitive rituals part, what I've done to drastically reduce that is just force myself not to do it. It sucks at first, but eventually you'll get over it. I still have my moments, but it's nowhere near as bad.

And agreed with @KingOfJericho on his comments. I still do stuff in my head like, "Don't do this, you'll jinx it!" which keeps me from having more fun at times. Or I'll stick around and watch a certain part of a game because, "If you leave the room, the other team's gonna score." Best thing I do is just force myself to do the opposite anyways, no matter how much I hate it. And sometimes, what I think will happen if I do/don't do something actually does happen, which makes me feel like shit. But I know that it's just coincidence. Just something you have to try to overcome.

Either way, it's such a tiny part of my life that I just don't even think about it much anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I have a thing with stacking items. Things need to be facing the right way. I really dislike every odd number, except 9. I re-read emails that I send to people...., days later..., multiple times.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Yeah I never put my HVAC temp control on any odd number other than those ending in 5.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Didn't we do this thread a while back? If we do it again, I hope it ends with an odd number of posts or I'll go ballistic and obsess over it for a month.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Didn't we do this thread a while back? If we do it again, I hope it ends with an odd number of posts or I'll go ballistic and obsess over it for a month.
irony from the person named "M_Six".
      10-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

You prolly don't have ocd, but intrusive thoughts

I have the same and have found no solution, it's jut part of who I am I guess, and tbh I've learned not to be bothered by it
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtron View Post
irony from the person named "M_Six".
I'd say it'd be more ironic if his name were "M_Three" no?

I mean, technically he is supporting an even number, which is widely accepted amongst OCD'ers. Also, I don't like your user name, it doesn't start with a capital letter. I changed it in the quote to make me feel better.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Thought this sounded familiar. I think at this point we just about hit every topic there is to discuss.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008797
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #14
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I'd say it'd be more ironic if his name were "M_Three" no?

I mean, technically he is supporting an even number, which is widely accepted amongst OCD'ers. Also, I don't like your user name, it doesn't start with a capital letter. I changed it in the quote to make me feel better.
he says he will go ballistic if it does not end in an odd number yet his name is an even number.

it is intentional that my name is all lowercase and i request that you do not tamper with it.
      10-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
he says he will go ballistic if it does not end in an odd number yet his name is an even number.

it is intentional that my name is all lowercase and i request that you do not tamper with it.
Somewhere on this forum, your name was not used in all lowercase. I will not say where, nor will I confirm it was only in one thread. And it may even have been accidental.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I'm sure you're aware but your brain is making connections between things that do not exist in reality. I used to do things like kiss my wife three times when I left each morning and say things in a particular order. I did this until I watched an episode of "brain games" or something like that on NatGeo. It completely changed me and I've ditched all of the mild OCDs I used to have.

The bottom line is that the connections you make in your head are not real. Thinking that wearing a team jersey when watching a game or flipping a light switch a certain number of times has any effect on the outcome of any other event in the universe seems silly now, because it is. There simply is no connection.
You mean to tell me that when my computer freezes, smashing the mouse multiple times on the desk won't unfreeze it?
LOL
      10-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Only my username can end in an even number. *Everything* else must be odd.

Is that odd in itself?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #18
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I am going to keep refreshing this page until I get the

(Sorry had to refresh)

answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:

I misread. I will politely excuse myself now.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #20
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Only my username can end in an even number. *Everything* else must be odd.

Is that odd in itself?

I note that you require your user name to end in an even number.

I also note that you require *everything* else to be odd. I note here that you categorically wrote *everything* instead of *every other number*.

Is that odd? Are you odd? I think Litos is odd. Do you like Litos because he is odd? I wonder if this belongs in the drunk thread, but then, I'm not drunk...and I strive not to.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #21
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

I enjoy OCD people - they are entertaining. However, so many people think they have OCD, but they really don't.

They are just looking for a name for their peculiarities.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I miss Litos. We need to start an "Unban Litos" petition. As long as we get an odd number of signatures on the petition, I'll support it.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0