E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oscillations on Cobb stage 1 + 4.02 based map massaged in ATR

11-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Oscillations on Cobb stage 1 + 4.02 based map massaged in ATR

I've been battling oscillations for a while. Really the only thing I found that helped a little was to take the D factor multiplier values from stage 0 and utilize those but it only helps a little. I'm at loss as to how to modify the other PID tables.

Please note my car is hyper sensitive to timing drops when actual load gets close to or exceeds requested load so I made the load very high and use the boost limit multiplier to control boost which helps for this phenomenon. My map is based off 4.02 stage 1+ linear throttle. Details of my car are in signature. I can upload the map if anyone wants to see it but aside from D factor multiplier all the PID related tables are the same as stage 1+ OTS. Any suggestions on what to modify to control oscillations?

3rd gear: http://datazap.me/u/mfish123/3rd-gear-oscillations

4th gear: http://datazap.me/u/mfish123/4th-gear-oscillations
      11-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

get a protune by PTF ....
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

@mfish123

That looks more like WGDC base values are screwed up ie there is too much value reduction in the WOT path of the table.

The values in the path of the WOT, which can be found by following the log referencing the BSP and Maf Req, need to be ascending in value downwards. If this causes overshoots followed by TC then you need to back off of your adder, if it was modified, as the PID tables at your power level should remain stock

If you decide to throw in the towel which can get "expensive" due to getting no where testing, and perhaps a ticket, might as well hand it over to ProTuning Freaks (PTF) and they will get map that you will desire at the level your car is at. It will save you money in the end, well that's if you don't care about wasting it
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
@mfish123

That looks more like WGDC base values are screwed up ie there is too much value reduction in the WOT path of the table.

The values in the path of the WOT, which can be found by following the log referencing the BSP and Maf Req, need to be ascending in value downwards. If this causes overshoots followed by TC then you need to back off of your adder, if it was modified, as the PID tables at your power level should remain stock

If you decide to throw in the towel which can get "expensive" due to getting no where testing, and perhaps a ticket, might as well hand it over to ProTuning Freaks (PTF) and they will get map that you will desire at the level your car is at. It will save you money in the end, well that's if you don't care about wasting it
@BuraQ

Thanks for the tip. It did work! I do like messing around in ATR. Part of the fun, at least for me, is the continual tweaking. And yes I do acknowledge frequent 3rd gear redline pulls can get me in trouble with the law. I have a pretty safe stretch of road to do them on.

I went back to the OTS 4.02 stage 1+ WGDC base values and low and behold the oscillations are gone! And all this time I thought I was a zen master in smoothing out the boost curve.

I do have some overboosts but they're at high MAF / setpoints. I took a little out of 2 of the bottom right cells of the WGDC base but left the values ascending downward. I think I can hopefully tame the rest by carefully lowering the WGDC ceiling and adder in the affected areas.

3rd gear: http://datazap.me/u/mfish123/3rd-gear-overboost
      11-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

WGDC Base should be used to control TC on an elementary level of learning. Boost curve and minor overshoots can be controlled in the P-Factor table. However you need to be extremely careful with this or else you be back to were you started again
Appreciate 0