E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 1 More Quick Q On Speeding Ticket

06-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Post 1 More Quick Q On Speeding Ticket

if you get a speeding ticket in another state, you just pay it off and your good? no points go up, etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
It really depends on the state. There is a legal term for it, but not all states share points. Some states will waive the point sharing if paid on time. It's best to check with a lawyer or somebody knowledgeable about this in your state.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyulak View Post
It really depends on the state. There is a legal term for it, but not all states share points. Some states will waive the point sharing if paid on time. It's best to check with a lawyer or somebody knowledgeable about this in your state.
Reciprocating agreements...normally that applies to neighbor states, eg - MD I think had reciprocating agreements with VA, DC, DE, PA, and maybe WV. Don't think they had any more. So if you got a ticket in one of those states, you would also get points in MD for the ticket. I know when I was in HS, they DIDN'T have one with NY (from a friends experience)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

if i am a ny resident and got one in nj is that shared?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Unfortunately wrong. I got a stop sign ticket in NJ and I live in CA. I paid off the ticket but it still hits the insurance unless you go to traffic school. Unfortunately, their stupid DMV doesn't offer traffic school for their tickets, but instead makes you go to this class, i think. So, I couldn't get the ticket off of my insruance, not even with traffic school.

Weaksauce.

By the way, I'm sorry to the NJ guys on here, but the cops there have NOTHING to do but hand out tickets and are complete dicks.
      06-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
stephiee xO
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES_D View Post
Unfortunately wrong. I got a stop sign ticket in NJ and I live in CA. I paid off the ticket but it still hits the insurance unless you go to traffic school. Unfortunately, their stupid DMV doesn't offer traffic school for their tickets, but instead makes you go to this class, i think. So, I couldn't get the ticket off of my insruance, not even with traffic school.

Weaksauce.

By the way, I'm sorry to the NJ guys on here, but the cops there have NOTHING to do but hand out tickets and are complete dicks.
sorry baby =( my fault!!! if only i didnt suggest going to the mall.. but yeah!! cops are gay
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephiee xO View Post
sorry baby =( my fault!!! if only i didnt suggest going to the mall.. but yeah!! cops are gay
nooo not your fault. NJ cops are like on every single freaken block and mile of the highway.
      06-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

maybe i have a fighting chance with or without a lawyer. it happened around 3 am in the morning. i was driving to the gas station from a restaurant and speed limit was 40 i was going 70+ honestly. i saw the cop in the parking lot but my v1 didn't go off. i zoomed by him and he didn't turn on lights or anything to follow. as soon as i cross a small connection bridge, he shines lights on me and i pulled over.

funny thing is he asked me how fast i was going. i said 60. then he says i think it was way more then that but still gave me a ticket of going 60. if i said 59 i would have made it into the teir before it and only owe $105 compared to the 20 mile over tier of $200. DARN IT!!!!

did the officer have no proof of my actual speed since my v1 didn't go off and that was the reason he kept asking me how fast i was going? can i use this in court by myself or with a lawyer (by myself perfered) to lower the ticket to the 19mph over tier or even get this thing removed? 335i do have inaccurate speedos as well so if i was going 70+ most likey around 65-68.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

another thing. the road before speed limit is 55mph with a sign up ahead saying speed reduced to 40. the cop was right behind the reduced speed sign and basically got me there. can i go to court and say i was slowing down when the speed changed when the officer got me and get this thing removed?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
theDude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
did the officer have no proof of my actual speed since my v1 didn't go off and that was the reason he kept asking me how fast i was going? can i use this in court by myself or with a lawyer (by myself perfered) to lower the ticket to the 19mph over tier or even get this thing removed? 335i do have inaccurate speedos as well so if i was going 70+ most likey around 65-68.
Way to incriminate yourself

Seriously though, never give them a number to work with. I would have told him that you had no idea how fast you were going...BUT don't be clueless about what the posted speed is.

If the officer noted that he used stationary radar, I would DEFINITELY bring up the fact that your radar detector didn't go off. Best case, you get off no speeding ticket...worst case, well you know...

Even in Virginia (where radar detectors are illegal) I'd bring up the detector if the officer lied about using radar.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
Insurance and points are different issues. The insurance company can find moving violations pretty much anywhere. The reciprocating agreements have to do with points that actually go on your state driving records for purposes of suspending your license (12 pts. in Ohio).

NEVER, EVER, admit your speed to the police officer. You shouldn't argue with the police officer or make some lame excuse. Your only duty is to apologize, be polite, and when you get home, plan for your day with the judge. The only real person you need to convince is the judge. The officer has done his job and the only way out of the ticket is through the courts.

If an officer makes a statement that leads you into incriminating yourself, the correct answer is "I don't know" or whatever the posted speed limit is, but I would stay away from saying you were doing 40 in a 40 if you were doing 70, because it's not that hard to tell by eye that you are raping the speed limit.

If you already stated how fast you were going, that is your answer when you see the judge. It may be possible the officer doesn't show up for the court date, but if he does, he will likely remember your statement of speed and may have even recorded the fact that you told him (or her).

Really, if you don't want to get caught speeding, quit speeding. But if you do get caught, just be honest and pay your dues. It's the price for breaking the law. I know I have personally financed new roads in my state with all of the fines I have paid.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

thanks nyulak for your helpful advice. i do agree with you. i did break the law and i learned now that it i must say i don't know when asked do you know how fast you were going? i guess i got freaked out and was a bit too open to the offer. i am only 18 lol. v1 is amazing though when the cop does do radar. at least i know what to say know to the officer.

hey but do you think if i tell the judge that the road before it speed limit is 50 and i was going 60 on that and the road up ahead has a reduced speed to 40 and the officer got me before i could even slow down in the 40 zone?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
another thing. the road before speed limit is 55mph with a sign up ahead saying speed reduced to 40. the cop was right behind the reduced speed sign and basically got me there. can i go to court and say i was slowing down when the speed changed when the officer got me and get this thing removed?
If the sign says 40 and you're going 41 at the sign, you're speeding even if you were slowing down. If the speed limit is 40 and you see a sign ahead that says 50, you still can't be going over 40 until you've passed the sign. Didn't they cover that in Driver's Ed?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
SoYank is right. It kind of sucks in a way. If you are heading to a 50 from a 40, you supposed to be doing 40 until you get to the sign, but if it is the other way around, you have to slow down in the 50 zone to be able to comply with the 40 zone.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

hows ur record...see if the prosecution can exchange it for a non-moving violation or supervision of some sort - that way it wont go on your record
      06-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #17
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
maybe i have a fighting chance with or without a lawyer. it happened around 3 am in the morning. i was driving to the gas station from a restaurant and speed limit was 40 i was going 70+ honestly. i saw the cop in the parking lot but my v1 didn't go off. i zoomed by him and he didn't turn on lights or anything to follow. as soon as i cross a small connection bridge, he shines lights on me and i pulled over.

funny thing is he asked me how fast i was going. i said 60. then he says i think it was way more then that but still gave me a ticket of going 60. if i said 59 i would have made it into the teir before it and only owe $105 compared to the 20 mile over tier of $200. DARN IT!!!!

First 70 in a 40 at 3 am? No matter where you are at that time cops have nothing to do for the most part and will for sure pull you over.

Your second mistake saying you did 60. For what reason did you admit? When I got asked I just sat there. Never admit it to it. Maybe he didnt have you clocked and would have given you a warning or some random lower citation. Now you gave him a confession and he took it.
      06-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #18
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Next time (and I'm sure there will be one) if ever asked how fast you were going, just say I don't know, officer, I was looking up ahead and paying attention to the road. AT that point, the cop may think, hmm...he's actually paying attention to the road, so the cop may just give you a warning and/or some other BS ticket, which I think would be much better/lighter than the speed tix. Lesson learned here. I got away with a couple of those in Cali, coincidentally the shittiest state in the Union with regard to vehicle laws/regulations!
Appreciate 0