E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How hard do you work?

06-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #67
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Don't really work that hard, but I just ended 12 straight 14hr days. Having to value and rebut 4,000 loans in just over a week is not recommended.

Actually it wasn't all that bad, it was the busiest we've been since I started my job almost 2 years ago. But not eating my typical high protein low fat diet and going the gym really sucked. I feel like crap now.

Next step.....commercial appraising, lots of long hours ahead there.:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #68
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by platelet View Post
well it certainly is possible, ive seen them with aston martins and ferraris as well. they look young also, so it isnt "old money."
I thought old money was inherited money, especially if the family has been wealthy for several generations. To people with old money, it is a lifestyle where they don't know any different and probably didn't work for most of it. And probably didn't work like what we would consider to be work.
      06-29-2007, 09:06 PM   #69
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I thought old money was inherited money, especially if the family has been wealthy for several generations. To people with old money, it is a lifestyle where they don't know any different and probably didn't work for most of it. And probably didn't work like what we would consider to be work.
Old money is inherited. Such as the Rockefellers, *cough* Hilton's, Carnegie's, and so on.

New money is when someone creates their own wealth. It is "new money" to the grandkids and great-grandkids. I guess Warren Buffett could still be considered new money. Since he's still alive.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 10:05 PM   #70
platelet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray Metallic 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I understand what you're saying, and you're right. What i meant was back in the 80's, a possible "golden era" for the medical profession, doctors usually worked fee-for-service, and insurance paid what doctors billed for. Im guessing HMO's were just starting to emerge during that time in california. So basically an internist currently in their 70's or so probably made a killing back during the "golden era," became relatively wealthy from other investments, and lives fairly well today. if he bought a ferrari today, i would assume its "old money," and not from the income he generates in his current practice. an internist starting to work now cant make nearly as much as they would have if they started 30 years ago. i only know this because my father is a doc. thanks for clarifying though
      06-29-2007, 11:34 PM   #71
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, and you're right. What i meant was back in the 80's, a possible "golden era" for the medical profession, doctors usually worked fee-for-service, and insurance paid what doctors billed for. Im guessing HMO's were just starting to emerge during that time in california. So basically an internist currently in their 70's or so probably made a killing back during the "golden era," became relatively wealthy from other investments, and lives fairly well today. if he bought a ferrari today, i would assume its "old money," and not from the income he generates in his current practice. an internist starting to work now cant make nearly as much as they would have if they started 30 years ago. i only know this because my father is a doc. thanks for clarifying though
a lot of fp/im ppl still make a lot if they have enough patients. cash practice 30 bux a head and u see like 40 ppl a day isnt too bad.

fk
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 11:36 PM   #72
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
7 hours 45 mins = e90post.com
13 mins = work
2 mins = restroom

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #73
platelet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray Metallic 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkill View Post
a lot of fp/im ppl still make a lot if they have enough patients. cash practice 30 bux a head and u see like 40 ppl a day isnt too bad.

fk

if ur seeing 40 patients a day, then you'd be doing very well, i agree. thats insane though. i just finished my ambulatory month, and i had difficulty seeing 6 or 7 patients from 9-12. of course clinics aren't as efficient as private practices, but patients are pretty demanding, and it would hard to accomodate them if you have 35 other people to see.
      06-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #74
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
if ur seeing 40 patients a day, then you'd be doing very well, i agree. thats insane though. i just finished my ambulatory month, and i had difficulty seeing 6 or 7 patients from 9-12. of course clinics aren't as efficient as private practices, but patients are pretty demanding, and it would hard to accomodate them if you have 35 other people to see.
Yeah...but that guy is getting $30 a head in that scenario. You are getting alot more per head, presumably for either new consults/follow up level 3 or level 4 visits.

Plus...in private practice, what is his overhead?? If he is seeing 40 patients a day, no way he can run the office as well. He needs office manager, staff manager, front office staff, back office staff...all on the payroll.

Bottom line in medicine, how hard you work end up being relative to whether you enjoy what you are doing during those working hours, and how much you are actually taking home after all associated expenses.
      06-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #75
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Over head is really cheap, no office manager... just 2 high school students in the front that do paper work. If you cant figure it out in 10 seconds refer.

BIG savings is purchasing your own billing system! No biller and just spend an hour a night doing your own.

*shrug* high volume low demanding patients vs lower volume spending more than 10 minutes a patient.

It seems good if you can get a lot of Medical/care patients and do volume. Skip HMOs

~fk
Appreciate 0