E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > moving to Arizona

03-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Question moving to Arizona

So the gf and I are planning on moving from Detroit to Phoenix fairly soon.
She's pumped... I'm dreading the heat

Neither of us are familar with the city whatsoever, so our first and most important decision is finding the right area to live. We plan to rent an apartment for the first year or so - giving us a chance to become familar with the area, before investing in some property.
We'll both be 25 in the next few months, and are really past the whole bar-hopping phase... so no interest in being in a "party/college town". Other then that, we're looking for a nice, fairly safe, financially sound (read: not trailer park) area. My one stipulation is that our place have at least a 1-car garage for my Bimmer. We'd like to keep rent on a 1-bedroom apartment under $1k a month (before utilities).

Not sure what the traffic situation's like down there. In Metro-Detroit, I have about a 30 mile (1 hour) commute to work, while she drives about 10 miles (20 minutes). Obviously it'd be nice if I could shorten my commute if possible.
I have a few things on my plate... most likely finding myself working in downtown Phoenix. She's leaning towards a position in the Scottsdale area (not sure exactly where -- I know, I should listen more when she talks to me )

I'll also pick up a new bartending gig for the weekends once I'm down there. Any suggestions? Would prefer concert venues, punk-rock bars or clubby-club bars (bimbos drinking cosmos tip like it's their job).

Also, if anyone has any other comments/suggestions/info please share.

Thanks,
Adam
      03-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

I lived in Phoenix (Scottsdale) for a year and absolutely loved it! My wife hated the heat...and she was born and raised in FL... It is a dry heat, but when it goes over 115F...does not really matter dry or wet. In the summer (May through early October) there are no outside activities -- it is easily 107F at 11 PM!
The city is great. Very easy to get around as most of the streets are perpendicular to each other (named streets go E-W; numbered Streets and Avenues N-S).

Now, there is a pretty clear distinction between the East and West part of the city -- I'd suggest to stay away from the west side. East side has the cities as Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, and a few more. Depending to your work location, I'd suggest you stay in the closest town. The traffic can be bad on the interstates, however, I lived very close to work and never experienced it. The roads are probably ones of the best in the country!

Yes, you can rent for <1k per month, but probably not in P. Valley or N Scottsdale, or around Camelback Mtn.

There are tons of bars and restaurants for bartending jobs.

The greatest thing about PHX is the location -- in the winter the ski slopes are as close as 2 hours drive (Snowbowl). Grand canyon is about 4 hrs, Vegas 4 hrs, LA is about 5.5 hrs, Mexico coast (Rocky Point) is about 4 hours. Sedona is <3 hours away. Lakes are about 1.5 hours drive.

Another great thing is the property taxes that are probably the lowest in the country. Yes, there is a state income tax, but it is pretty low, too.

I definitely miss Phoenix and would go back any time.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
beauderek
Client Advisor/Radio DJ
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330xi/2019 bmw 230i

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Good luck, Adam. Sorry your leaving the area, we'll have to get together for one more Detroit meet before you go.
f22 230i delivered 12/27/18/Seaside Blue/Oyster Sensatec/Manual/Heated front seats, Track & Handling package/CF mirrors and rear spoiler/M Sport front bumper/Shadowline trim/M Performance shift knob/1 Series (f21) M Sport steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
dr325i: thanks for the info.

Yeah Beau, we'll definetely have to do another meet.
Unfortunately there are no teaching jobs in Michigan for her, and I'm less then happy at my job; so the timing seems to be right for something new.
      03-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
      03-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Sounds like me when I was looking for a place. I told my gf that I needed a garage and hose to wash my car, the rest was up to her...

Good luck with the move..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0