E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Moving to Colorado from Dallas, opinions?

05-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Moving to Colorado from Dallas, opinions?

I've lived in Dallas area all my life and I'm ready to see something new, I've narrowed my choice down to somewhere in Colorado. I'm still caught between Boulder, Denver, Ft Collins, and Greeley. I prefer a more active college town so I was leaning towards Boulder or maybe even Ft Collins, but I've also heard Denver is great, and I know some people in Greeley. Any reason to consider Colorado springs? Seems a little too far from the metro for me. I'd also like to get rid of my car and rely solely on public transportation and my bike, at least for awhile to save some more money.

I've heard some say that Boulder is too "progressive-liberal-hippy-douche", but I've lived in or around Denton for quite awhile so I don't think it would bother me. I also like how close it is to the mountains. I do think the pub scene in Ft Collins would be nice, but seems like it might be boring at times. I've been to CO tons of times so I know I love it, I just don't know where I want to end up. I'm going to check it out for myself soon, but wanted some advice anyway.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

The only place my wife and I would consider moving out of Dallas for is Denver. It's got enough of a business environment and it is relatively close to skiing. We likely aren't going to actually move, but we've seriously talked about it. There are plenty of nice suburbs right outside of Denver if you don't need to live downtown.
      05-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
I lived in Colorado Springs for 15 years and just moved up to Castle Rock (just South of Denver) a few months ago. The only thing I miss from Colo Springs is my friends.

Boulder is like it's own little world. I've only been there a few times. Very much a "college town" feel.

Denver is great. Lots to do, near ski slopes, great downtown. Just don't try to drive thru DTC or on I-70 during rush hour.

Ft. Collins is a big college town too obviously. It's a little too far from Denver for my taste.

Greeley smells like cow shit. Like all the time.
      05-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I love Boulder, the beer scene alone is worth moving for. I could live in the Avery parking lot. I bike commute in Dallas and would probably triple my life expectancy moving to Boulder. If you have the means and can make it work, I highly recommend Boulder.

I love to ski, mountain bike and drive good roads (why am I in Dallas?!). I have a good friend that lives in Littleton and I've spend a good amount of time in Denver proper, Cherry Creek area. I like Denver, but would prefer to be NW of the city proper.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Same here. If i were going to move out of Tampa the destination would be the Denver area. We always stay in Denver a couple of days when heading to Keystone for boarding.
      05-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I would suggest avoiding Greely and Colorado Springs altogether. While Greely is a college town as well, it is better known for the slaughterhouse nearby and the stink that goes with it. While Colorado Springs has some fantastic scenery surrounding it, it is also the bible belt of Colorado. If religion and church-goers are not your thing, you would much prefer to live closer to Denver.

I currently live in a suburb just northwest of Denver, but have also lived in Fort Collins and Boulder. Depending where you land a job, you potentially could rely on your bike and public transportation in each one of those cities, but housing costs will go up the closer you are to each city center with Boulder probably being the most expensive. I work in downtown Denver and wanted to live in one of the surrounding neighborhoods, but finding a place with a garage in my price range was difficult. I ended up getting much more house for my money by going a little further from downtown. Without needing a garage, you'll find a lot more affordable housing options within the Denver metro area.

Keep in mind that Metro State University is in downtown Denver and DU is also nearby, so there is a young crowd and plenty of night life throughout Denver. Boulder is also a fun place with lots to do, but can definitely be more expensive all around. I loved living in Fort Collins as a college student, but much prefer living near Denver now. FoCo is full of college kids, families, and retirees, so if you are looking for the mid twenties to thirties crowd, Denver or Boulder may be a better option.

Wherever you end up living, CO is full of great microbreweries and awesome skiing, so you really can't go wrong.
      05-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
skinnycow
condoms prevent minivans
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I've lived in Colorado for 17 years now and I love it here. I've travel to many different states, but nothing compares to Colorado.

Active College Town - Fort Collins is where you want to go, it's a growing city as well. It's very clean and not as "crowded/tight" as Boulder. I lived in both cities for college. Fort Collin also has an awesome downtown, great bars and restaurants. The only downfall about this town is either you will get bored of it because it's so far from everything else. It's a great place to raise kids though!

Denver - Personally if I were you I would live in Denver, you can still use public transportation and or your bike. It's in the middle of everything and there's always something going on in Denver. It's more expensive though, but worth the view and lifestyle.

I use to live in Dallas as well and I'm so glad I got out lol.
      05-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
I lived in Colorado Springs for 15 years and just moved up to Castle Rock (just South of Denver) a few months ago. The only thing I miss from Colo Springs is my friends.

Boulder is like it's own little world. I've only been there a few times. Very much a "college town" feel.

Denver is great. Lots to do, near ski slopes, great downtown. Just don't try to drive thru DTC or on I-70 during rush hour.

Ft. Collins is a big college town too obviously. It's a little too far from Denver for my taste.

Greeley smells like cow shit. Like all the time.
Haha, I have heard that about Greeley, I think I can take Ft COllins off my list, it's a little to far for me, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I love Boulder, the beer scene alone is worth moving for. I could live in the Avery parking lot. I bike commute in Dallas and would probably triple my life expectancy moving to Boulder. If you have the means and can make it work, I highly recommend Boulder.

I love to ski, mountain bike and drive good roads (why am I in Dallas?!). I have a good friend that lives in Littleton and I've spend a good amount of time in Denver proper, Cherry Creek area. I like Denver, but would prefer to be NW of the city proper.
Good to hear that about Boulder, it's what I'm leaning towards but if I chose Denver it will likely be around Westminster or Louisville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I would suggest avoiding Greely and Colorado Springs altogether. While Greely is a college town as well, it is better known for the slaughterhouse nearby and the stink that goes with it. While Colorado Springs has some fantastic scenery surrounding it, it is also the bible belt of Colorado. If religion and church-goers are not your thing, you would much prefer to live closer to Denver.

I currently live in a suburb just northwest of Denver, but have also lived in Fort Collins and Boulder. Depending where you land a job, you potentially could rely on your bike and public transportation in each one of those cities, but housing costs will go up the closer you are to each city center with Boulder probably being the most expensive. I work in downtown Denver and wanted to live in one of the surrounding neighborhoods, but finding a place with a garage in my price range was difficult. I ended up getting much more house for my money by going a little further from downtown. Without needing a garage, you'll find a lot more affordable housing options within the Denver metro area.

Keep in mind that Metro State University is in downtown Denver and DU is also nearby, so there is a young crowd and plenty of night life throughout Denver. Boulder is also a fun place with lots to do, but can definitely be more expensive all around. I loved living in Fort Collins as a college student, but much prefer living near Denver now. FoCo is full of college kids, families, and retirees, so if you are looking for the mid twenties to thirties crowd, Denver or Boulder may be a better option.

Wherever you end up living, CO is full of great microbreweries and awesome skiing, so you really can't go wrong.
Anything with the word church or bible is an immediate turn off, I'm a personal trainer and am able to set up shop just about anywhere. Found a few gyms that look nice right in the heart of Boulder that only charge $10-$15 per client, my normal rate is $80 an hour, that's unheard of where I live. Most private gyms charge insane monthly rates to bring in clients. Just rambling, I'm really excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnycow View Post
I've lived in Colorado for 17 years now and I love it here. I've travel to many different states, but nothing compares to Colorado.

Active College Town - Fort Collins is where you want to go, it's a growing city as well. It's very clean and not as "crowded/tight" as Boulder. I lived in both cities for college. Fort Collin also has an awesome downtown, great bars and restaurants. The only downfall about this town is either you will get bored of it because it's so far from everything else. It's a great place to raise kids though!

Denver - Personally if I were you I would live in Denver, you can still use public transportation and or your bike. It's in the middle of everything and there's always something going on in Denver. It's more expensive though, but worth the view and lifestyle.

I use to live in Dallas as well and I'm so glad I got out lol.
I thought I remembered you being a new orleans resident. I've taken ft collins, or foco, and Greeley off the list. Their just both too far. I'll go visit soon, thanks for all the replys so far helpful!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Gladius
Two Wheels or Four?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Perf Edition m240i

I live in Erie which is east of Boulder and north of Louisville. Unless you work right in Westminster or Broomfield, there isn't effective public transportation. Boulder is small enough that you can bike anywhere or ride the bus; if you're outside of Boulder or Denver you're going to spend some time on a bus that won't get you quite near where you want to go.

Good choice avoiding Greeley and Colo Springs, for the reasons you mentioned. Boulder and the whole front range area are super sports-athletics oriented; while Westminster is further out, and therefore cheaper, you might have more opportunities in Broomfield, which is a growing community. Louisville might be just right for you, as it's midway between Boulder and Denver, and close to Broomfield, Westminster, and a bunch of other places. Although it's not "party central" - I was in downtown Louisville a couple fridays ago and everything was shutting down by 11pm. You'll have to head to Boulder or downtown Denver for nightlife.

Oh and be prepared for the friendly kidding of Coloradoans about "another Texan" moving in. It's all in jest but there is a widespread running joke about Texans moving to CO.

Current: '18 AW Performance Edition m240i
Gone: '15 Mineral Grey m235i || '07 Silver Grey M Coupe || '11 Space Grey 328i XDrive || '08 SparkG M3 || '01 LSB M3 || '01 TiAg 330ci
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Denver is one of the best places you can live. I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Just spent a few days in Greeley and Boulder and foco mainly, didn't help at all really, still can't make up my mind where I want to live.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Colorado is nice...bunch of mountain hicks...but nice
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Gladius
Two Wheels or Four?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Perf Edition m240i

No idea why you'd spend time in Greeley when Boulder and Denver are here.

Current: '18 AW Performance Edition m240i
Gone: '15 Mineral Grey m235i || '07 Silver Grey M Coupe || '11 Space Grey 328i XDrive || '08 SparkG M3 || '01 LSB M3 || '01 TiAg 330ci
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
No idea why you'd spend time in Greeley when Boulder and Denver are here.
Because I've got several friends in Greeley and a free place to stay, I spent most of my time in foco and Boulder. Denver is too big a city for me, I'm a country boy at heart.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Colorado is nice...bunch of mountain hicks...but nice
Well I live in Texas now, with a bunch of 'hill hicks', so I'll take it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

did seven years there.... Boulder is hip, university-ish, liberal. CoSprings is conservative, military. Denver is a mix of the two.

It's an outdoors lifestyle since there's so much to do. Mountain biking & climbing are huge when it's not snowing. Great fishing in the high lakes & rivers. Plenty of elk and mule deer in season. Plenty of big skies and clean air outside of town.

Lots of little suburban developments along the fringes if you want to rent a McMansion. Lots of funky mountain houses if you want the secluded canyon feel. Summer fires are a potential threat in the heavy brush & timber areas.

Great driving roads, long loops up through the canyons climbing up to the continental divide. NA motors definitely feel the altitude; it's easy to get from ~5000feet to 10K+ on a drive.

Thin air will hit you for 6-10 weeks depending on your fitness level. Sleep and nutrition help.

You want a winter vehicle lined up if you don't already have one. Snow by Halloween every year without fail, until mid-March. Snows hard and often, but doesn't stay long. Check out Steamboat Springs for a slice of heaven.

RC.
Appreciate 0