F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Problems / F30 Issues POLL.. Do you have any problems or NOT !!
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: How many Issues have you had with your F30
More than 3 issues. 120 15.42%
1 to 2 issues excl. Steering wheel Vibration 162 20.82%
Steering Wheel Vibration 46 5.91%
Very minor issues. Not worth putting up there. 146 18.77%
NO ISSUES WITH MY F30 (touchwood) 304 39.07%
Voters: 778. You may not vote on this poll

12-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #221
Ojsi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 316

Looks like tail leg fitting getting loose is quite common.

Happened to my 3 week old 316i. Apparently the tab holding it in place is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AweSam8 View Post
I had my taillight fall off halfway 2 weeks after delivery.

* I can't vote on the iPhone app.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #222
E90beemerfan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 SY M3 DCT, 2020 X7

Hi all,

I'm in general very happy with my F30, but the following matter has made me asked for an replacement:

Rattle/clunk from the steering rack or the suspension on bad road surfaces. This annoys me so much that I asked for the car to be replaced. The steering rack will be replaced and I hope this will solve the issue!

Rust on the screws fixing the doors to the chassis is also not acceptable on a car like the F30.

Extensive wind noise is something I have become accustomed to, but the F10 was a lot more quite in high speed.

Still, I prefer the F30 over the E46, E90, E61 and F10. A blast to drive!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #223
Grocery_Getter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d M Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
Well my F30 328d xDrive went into the shop yesterday with a check engine light on my way to work... Didn't notice much change in drivability but notice a small diesel odor, but it's a diesel car. Drop it off at the dealer which was overwhelmed with our -39C weather yesterday in Ottawa. So today they called me and told me that the sensor on the urea tank was defective and that the sensor was part of the urea tank so all of it needed to be replaced. New tank on order, they said that the check engine light might come back on and that they should have the part after the holiday...

So far very please with the car with 2,500km so far and over 800km per fill up
I have the same issue with my f31 328d xdrive. I don't notice anything wrong with the car, and I'm not noticing the diesel smell you're referring too. I'm going to take the car in for service tomorrow, so I'll find out.

| '14 F31 328d M-Sport |
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #224
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I am having the coral red front passenger seat base leather changed under warranty because it has developed a bald patch with hardly any use.
      01-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #225
idontwhatcare
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future M4 - ED mid 2016

I am currently in the market for a new car and am cross shopping the F30.

Doesn't anyone else find it alarming that, based on this poll, that over half of respondents have had a warranty issue? Half…
      01-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #226
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_Dragoon View Post

Doesn't anyone else find it alarming that, based on this poll, that over half of respondents have had a warranty issue? Half…
Owners with problems generally gravitate towards the internets to voice their (negative) opinion. I'm sure there are countless amounts of owners who are happily driving with no problems.
      01-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #227
idontwhatcare
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaF30 View Post
Owners with problems generally gravitate towards the internets to voice their (negative) opinion. I'm sure there are countless amounts of owners who are happily driving with no problems.
If the majority of members of this forum are here due to wanting to vocalize their issues, this is also a major warning sign from my viewpoint. With that said I strongly doubt that the active posters here joined due to issues (I hope…).

Another car site I visit has thousands of active posters at any given time and I feel a fair guess would be that less than a tenth of a percent would be about failure issues, and we are talking about Chevrolet...
      01-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #228
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_Dragoon View Post

No!

Surely you are not suggesting you are basing your new car purchase on a sample size of around 460 internet subscribers of whom you have no proof ANY of them actually own an F30 or have actually had a problem with their car?

I could go on but I shan't, good luck with whatever you buy.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #229
idontwhatcare
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
No!

Surely you are not suggesting you are basing your new car purchase on a sample size of around 460 internet subscribers of whom you have no proof ANY of them actually own an F30 or have actually had a problem with their car?

I could go on but I shan't, good luck with whatever you buy.
I challenge you to find a better source.

Your dealer?
Your small gathering of enthusiasts that number well under 460?
Consumer Reports? (this one should be funny)

Seriously, what better source is there? The only official one would be the JD Power reports which reinforce the results of this poll.
      01-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #230
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

You win!

Don't buy one.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #231
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003
You win!

Don't buy one.
Buy a Chevy!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #232
Grocery_Getter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d M Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
Well my F30 328d xDrive went into the shop yesterday with a check engine light on my way to work... Didn't notice much change in drivability but notice a small diesel odor, but it's a diesel car. Drop it off at the dealer which was overwhelmed with our -39C weather yesterday in Ottawa. So today they called me and told me that the sensor on the urea tank was defective and that the sensor was part of the urea tank so all of it needed to be replaced. New tank on order, they said that the check engine light might come back on and that they should have the part after the holiday...

So far very please with the car with 2,500km so far and over 800km per fill up
Handyman2007, I have the same issue with my f31 328d also. I just got a call from BMW service saying that they have to replace the urea tank sensor. Did you have any issues with it afterwards?

| '14 F31 328d M-Sport |
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #233
Handyman2007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i, 2014 328d xdrive

Not yet fixed but the Check engine light came back on like the dealer said and they told me to wait for my appt to get it reset, let it be known that the check engine light went off about 1 week after it came on. My appt is this Wednesday, I will let them have a look at my squeaky brakes when I backup
      05-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #234
JVBFTW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

My key issue ended up being due to a phone charger interfering with the signal from the key

Still getting the 5th gear miss/hesitation daily. Shows up in 2nd gear on occasion too.

Intermittent reverse lamp malfunction.

Idrive knob doesn't always select what I tell it to

Driver side mirror decides to dip in reverse on occasion.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #235
f30D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30D, M-line, sunroof & shades

Garage List
2014 328d  [10.00]
13 328I, I had two factory recalls. A leaf got sucked into my ac, somehow went around the screen(not covered under warranty) and was making noise. Passenger window auto up/down broke. A plastic in the interior broke(black plastic around the shifter). Ac has frozen over on me three times during road trips. My 328 made a horrible noise when cold they said it was the direct injection.(it sounded worse than my new diesel). My gong noise for some reason goes up with the radio control if I'm not wearing my seat belt. Standard suspension felt like a boat. There was a rattle coming from the steering wheel.(got the tires checked they said everything was ok) I ended up turning the bithc in for diesel.

Last edited by f30D; 05-29-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:28 AM   #236
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
3 months and 7000km so far.

Not a single problem. Am really happy with the car so far. All previous BMWs I've had has always had a warranty issue within the first month of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #237
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Also, the average problems per car in the JD Power surveys is still more than 1/car, industry -wide. When buying a car other than a Lexus, you should assume you'll have at least one problem. If you don't, you can then be thrilled that you bought the exception to the rule.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #238
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVExotics
The only other little complaint I would have is that the center of our M Sport steering wheel is slightly off. It isn't symmetrical all the way around. It was either mis-shapened or misplaced. This is purely aesthetic and hasn't been a big enough issue to bring up to the dealer.
I'm glad someone found out that the M sport steering wheel isn't symmetrical.

If you put your hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock position and wrap your fingers naturally behind it, you will notice that there is more leather wrapping on your left hand (9 o'clock) compared to your right one (3 o'clock). I have compared at least 10 different M sport wheels and they are all like that. Want more assymetry? Grab on to 4 and 8 o'clock and you will realize that 4 o'clock in general is slightly thinner in grip than 8 o'clock, though not as obvious as the other one.

One more? Okay fine. Touch the cross-stitching (facing inwards) where that little bulge is at the 2 and 10 o'clock and run your fingers around there and you will notice that one side is smoother and the other side is a lot rougher. Not sure if they are all like that as I haven't tested enough samples for this one.

I have no clue how it can be so consistently asymmetric.

dL
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #239
cla250
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i SULEV

I had 2 issues:
1 - about 800 mile my idrive screen went blank at one night, I tried to press everything and turn off the engine. It was still blank that night. Then the next morning, it seems to be working fine again.
2 - About 1200 miles, Drivetrain malfuction appeared on idrive screen. I was driving on the freeway about 75mph then it slow down to about 45mph and just can't go any faster. So I took the exit and restart the engine. Engine light was on and I drove locally back home. Then the next morning I drove it in the dealer to have it check. They read 3 faults from the check engine light, they sent a request to BMW enginneer and see what to do....... I am worried now, will keep posted. Any advise on what to do or expect? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #240
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
My only problem is that I can't open my 335 up anywhere! Need track time badly!!
Amen bro, my problem exactly
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #241
Duggy
Rep
Drives: The "clonk mobile"

I've had my 320D Luxury 8sp auto for around 12 months now and I am not happy with it and won't be having another. The first thing I noticed after the delivery driver dropped it off was that the door shuts and profiles were less than perfect, so I went round all 4 doors with a Torx key and sorted that out.

After 3 months and 5k miles I noticed an annoying rattle from around the steering column / instrument binnacle area. After removing the binnacle and doing some old school diagnostics I found the problem. The top column cowl has 2 locating cups on the underside that sit on top of 2 corresponding pegs on the wiper/indicator stalks unit. These were the source of the rattle, with the 2 rigid plastic surfaces not quite in tight contact (annoying). Again, I fixed this myself with 2 carefully placed circles of rubber acting as anti-vibration pads (something that should have been on from BMW in the first place IMHO).

Next came the dreaded clunk when the driver's front wheel (RHD) goes over a pothole. Back it went to the dealer who promply swapped out the drop link from the strut to the ARB. Sadly, this did not fix the problem. Again I did some old school diagnosis and after realising that if you turn the wheel with the ignition off you get the same clunk, I realised that the steering rack is knackered. It is due to go back in (to a different dealership) in the next few weeks for this.

Next, after about 10k miles another annoying trim rattle started, this time from the driver's front door casing, right by where my elbow rests on it, below the lock button. Twice the car has been in to have this fixed. The first time they failed to find the problem so nothing was resolved. The second time they had it in they 'found' that a 'packing' pad was incorrectly fitted so they refitted it. This time the rattle is almost cured, but not 100% (I have learned to live with it).

Not a fault as such, but an annoyance. The first time I parked the wipers to wash it and I lifted them off the glass the driver side arm marked the nice hite paintwork on the bonnet FFS!

So in summary. With all of the extras the car cost £36,000 and it's had more faults than any new car I've had in the last 20 years (and I've had a few). Would I buy another? No way. Next time I'll be back in either a Ford or a VW/Audi for sure. BMW premium brand....yeah right!

...and if it comes back from having a new rack and still knocks going over a bump like an old knacker with a dodgy ball joint it will be going straight back and I'll cancelling the payments.

Duggy- pissed off, Birmingham UK

p.s. tried to contact BMW UK customer service a week ago, so far no reply!

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #242
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggy View Post
I've had my 320D Luxury 8sp auto for around 12 months now and I am not happy with it and won't be having another. The first thing I noticed after the delivery driver dropped it off was that the door shuts and profiles were less than perfect, so I went round all 4 doors with a Torx key and sorted that out.

After 3 months and 5k miles I noticed an annoying rattle from around the steering column / instrument binnacle area. After removing the binnacle and doing some old school diagnostics I found the problem. The top column cowl has 2 locating cups on the underside that sit on top of 2 corresponding pegs on the wiper/indicator stalks unit. These were the source of the rattle, with the 2 rigid plastic surfaces not quite in tight contact (annoying). Again, I fixed this myself with 2 carefully placed circles of rubber acting as anti-vibration pads (something that should have been on from BMW in the first place IMHO).

Next came the dreaded clunk when the driver's front wheel (RHD) goes over a pothole. Back it went to the dealer who promply swapped out the drop link from the strut to the ARB. Sadly, this did not fix the problem. Again I did some old school diagnosis and after realising that if you turn the wheel with the ignition off you get the same clunk, I realised that the steering rack is knackered. It is due to go back in (to a different dealership) in the next few weeks for this.

Next, after about 10k miles another annoying trim rattle started, this time from the driver's front door casing, right by where my elbow rests on it, below the lock button. Twice the car has been in to have this fixed. The first time they failed to find the problem so nothing was resolved. The second time they had it in they 'found' that a 'packing' pad was incorrectly fitted so they refitted it. This time the rattle is almost cured, but not 100% (I have learned to live with it).

Not a fault as such, but an annoyance. The first time I parked the wipers to wash it and I lifted them off the glass the driver side arm marked the nice hite paintwork on the bonnet FFS!

So in summary. With all of the extras the car cost £36,000 and it's had more faults than any new car I've had in the last 20 years (and I've had a few). Would I buy another? No way. Next time I'll be back in either a Ford or a VW/Audi for sure. BMW premium brand....yeah right!

...and if it comes back from having a new rack and still knocks going over a bump like an old knacker with a dodgy ball joint it will be going straight back and I'll cancelling the payments.

Duggy- pissed off, Birmingham UK

p.s. tried to contact BMW UK customer service a week ago, so far no reply!

Oh yeah FORD and VW much better...
Appreciate 0