E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Public schools are crap.

01-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #45
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

poverty level = school success
      01-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #46
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm a big believer in public schools, at least through High School.

I went to a pretty selective college - Johns Hopkins Univ and many of the kids I attended college with were from private schools and the exclusie prep schools of America. I felt that they had an advantage for the 1st semester, since many of the prep schools have the same type of testing and papers as college (where a mid term and final contributes to the majority of the class grade)

Once 1st semester passed, I thought that public high school prepared me just as well as anyone else...

Now, as I prepare to send my son to Kindergarten, were faced with sending him to a public/diversely populated kindergarten, or a private school.

I'm choosing the former. Why? - Because the world is diverse and ultimately, he will have to function in the public society

I see Private schools as only accessible to the rich or the very poor, with very little attendance of the kids in between (middle class or kids' of professionals)
      01-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #47
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Lastly - to the OP Aren't there very good public schools in Canada? UBC and UT (University of British Columbia and University of Toronto) come to mind?
      01-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #48
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post
Lastly - to the OP Aren't there very good public schools in Canada? UBC and UT (University of British Columbia and University of Toronto) come to mind?
Public schools meaning high schools.

I got rejected from both of those Universities because thanks to all the contributing factors (idiotic annoying and lazy students, teachers who didn't punish the disruptive students, incompetent teachers, textbooks full of errors, getting bullied for homework from other classmates, depressing as heck environment, school with no school spirit)

I ended up attending a silly Liberal Arts college. Really small, but it felt like my high school which didn't help at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #49
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suareezay View Post
this is the internet. you must be new here.
so what your saying is your not really a douchebag in person? cause you and i both know you probably typed that response out of emotion and not logic. no need to get pissed off just because somebody wants blob to explain his side.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #50
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
moron
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #51
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
I got rejected from both of those Universities because thanks to all the contributing factors (idiotic annoying and lazy students, teachers who didn't punish the disruptive students, incompetent teachers, textbooks full of errors, getting bullied for homework from other classmates, depressing as heck environment, school with no school spirit)

I ended up attending a silly Liberal Arts college. Really small, but it felt like my high school which didn't help at all.

Sorry to say, but those factors didn't stop you from getting into those Universities, you did. You gave up. Instead of working harder and using those weaknesses of your school to make you a stronger student, you were content with feeling sorry for yourself and not doing anything about it.

Universities give very little weight to what school you went to they look at the individual students and their grades, test scores, and essays. Your school didn't keep you down, you did. There are plenty of people who attend intercity shithole schools and make it to college. Not a lot, but people do. Most just give up like you.

Broward County (where I went to school) is the most populous school district in the country and every school in it is at or over capacity. From 3rd through 10th grade I attended 7 different schools (I only attended one school for two consecutive years for 3rd and 4th grade) because the schools boundaries kept getting moved around. I had classes with 45+ students per class. My high school opened with grades 9-11 (the seniors decided to stay at the school they were at) and even without a 12th grade class, we were still 300 people over capacity. Our first full year with all 4 grades we were over 1500 students over capacity. The peak year the school was over 2500 kids over capacity. The school was so large they had to have a separate campus just for 9th graders. Most of the teachers didn't really care if you did good, though I had a few that really truly cared and I latched on to them as mentors. I had plenty of lazy classmates who didn't care, especially with it being in a wealthy district where they thought their parents would take care of them. I was constantly bullied, and in 10th grade I was even attacked by another student and was put in the hospital for a week and needed 40 stitches because I had a hole put through my lower lip. I absolutely hated school, but I didn't let that keep me down. I worked my ass off because I wanted to get out of that place and not end up like everyone else. So while my situation may not have been the same as yours, I used my misfortunes to make me a stronger individual.

If we all gave up when stuff got hard we'd be a world of failures and wimps. Life gives you lemons, make lemonade. You need to go look in the mirror and realize that YOU didn't try, YOU didn't care, YOU are the cause of not getting into the better Universities. The sooner that you can come to that realization the better off you'll be. Sorry to be harsh, but it's true. You probably won't see it that way, but maybe one day you will.
      01-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #52
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

my kids will never attend a private school. I went to public schools my whole life, my parents wanted to take me to a private school however i never wanted part of it.

I grew up very socially(i was involved in a lot of activites)! So i saw a lot of people and how they would act, and people from public school like me just had so much knowledge about things then private school kids. My own opinion, very hard to explain.

Anyways like my mom has always told me, it doesnt matter what fucking school you go to if you are a learner you will learn, if you want to succedd you will. Be happy that you have the liberty of even being given the oppurtunity to learn and get an education.

And besides that man, HS is BS, college and stuff is where it matters..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #53
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
so what your saying is your not really a douchebag in person? cause you and i both know you probably typed that response out of emotion and not logic. no need to get pissed off just because somebody wants blob to explain his side.
no, i typed that response out of you being a tool. youre the whiny twat that was going on about staying on topic, so just stfu.

Last edited by oldaccount; 01-19-2009 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #54
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
You're being tricked man...now you and him are getting off topic.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #55
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

I don't think private school means that you will get into a good university right away. Also, getting into a good university doesn't mean that you will be automatically successful. Education is what you make out of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #56
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Sorry to say, but those factors didn't stop you from getting into those Universities, you did. You gave up. Instead of working harder and using those weaknesses of your school to make you a stronger student, you were content with feeling sorry for yourself and not doing anything about it.

Universities give very little weight to what school you went to they look at the individual students and their grades, test scores, and essays. Your school didn't keep you down, you did. There are plenty of people who attend intercity shithole schools and make it to college. Not a lot, but people do. Most just give up like you.

Broward County (where I went to school) is the most populous school district in the country and every school in it is at or over capacity. From 3rd through 10th grade I attended 7 different schools (I only attended one school for two consecutive years for 3rd and 4th grade) because the schools boundaries kept getting moved around. I had classes with 45+ students per class. My high school opened with grades 9-11 (the seniors decided to stay at the school they were at) and even without a 12th grade class, we were still 300 people over capacity. Our first full year with all 4 grades we were over 1500 students over capacity. The peak year the school was over 2500 kids over capacity. The school was so large they had to have a separate campus just for 9th graders. Most of the teachers didn't really care if you did good, though I had a few that really truly cared and I latched on to them as mentors. I had plenty of lazy classmates who didn't care, especially with it being in a wealthy district where they thought their parents would take care of them. I was constantly bullied, and in 10th grade I was even attacked by another student and was put in the hospital for a week and needed 40 stitches because I had a hole put through my lower lip. I absolutely hated school, but I didn't let that keep me down. I worked my ass off because I wanted to get out of that place and not end up like everyone else. So while my situation may not have been the same as yours, I used my misfortunes to make me a stronger individual.

If we all gave up when stuff got hard we'd be a world of failures and wimps. Life gives you lemons, make lemonade. You need to go look in the mirror and realize that YOU didn't try, YOU didn't care, YOU are the cause of not getting into the better Universities. The sooner that you can come to that realization the better off you'll be. Sorry to be harsh, but it's true. You probably won't see it that way, but maybe one day you will.
coral springs? are most of the girls there hot? I met this one in NYC that was off the hook. tall brunette, nice face nice ass.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #57
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpimping View Post
coral springs? are most of the girls there hot? I met this one in NYC that was off the hook. tall brunette, nice face nice ass.
Weston, but close enough.
      01-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #58
kuvesh
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 335i juiced

at the end of the day its up to the individual on how they ultimately perform. I went to a public school and have done fine. Private schools do have advantages if the person is not motivated though...

HAMANN FRONT APRON, SIDES, ROOF SPOILER & QUAD DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER VRS TRUNK | CSC3 ON 19” ADVAN RS | BREMBO GT BBK | BASTUCK QUAD | KW V2 | JB3 v1.3s beta | BMW PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL | M3 SIDE MIRRORS | M5 SMG SHIFT KNOB | BLACKOUT GRILLS | PARTIALLY SMOKED LIGHTS | WINDOW TINT
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #59
STUNT-MAN-HANS
ME AND MY GREAT DANE AGAINST THE WORLD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135,6SPD,AW,BLKLTHR,BLKTRIM

public schools are fine! you get out what you put into it