E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > USAirways flight goes down in the hudson river

01-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #67
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

As for this Airbus vs. Boeing crap...let me tell you this:

Airbus = It takes you 3 hours to troubleshoot down to a faulty sensor but 3 mins to change it.

Boeing = It takes you 3 mins to troubleshoot down to a faulty mechanical part but 3 hours to change it.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #68
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
you are a A&P mech for 777, right?
Not just 777's
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #69
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
details!
meh, i dont have any exciting details. just a company-wide email:

Quote:
In case you haven’t heard, Ric’s plane went down in the Hudson River on the flight from New York to Charlotte…but he’s OK. I just spoke to him.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #70
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
Air Transat A330.

Not sure if they yanked his "Transport de Canada-o" license to work on aircrafts.
HAHAH. I remember airbus blamed the pilots.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #71
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not just 777's
Shit must be sweet. I have yet to start flying the big boys, Regionals for now. Only 22. But let me tell you, when I'm in the big boys I'd want a knowledgeable mech like you. Unlike the BA mech on the 717 that replaced the windshield screws by 'eyeing' them to make sure they're the same size lmao poor bastard captain got sucked out and froze his ass while the f/o had to land. lol Remember that?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #72
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmstyle71 View Post
airbus > boeing. Saying the a320 was better as a tree trimmer? Umm that's why it's called a TEST flight.
Are you really this ignorant as to make a statement such as this? You think the policy of, "hey if we have to crash a few to get it right" is teh policy you want guiding the planes you fly/travel in, then good luck buddy and I hope you never run a major manufacturer of any mode of transportation.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #73
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was working at LGA and about 10 mins before the end of my shift, I got word that one of the A320 crashed into the hudson river, all of us went from the hangar to the bar in the terminal to watch the news...thought it was one of our planes but got lucky.

Plane crash landed into the water after hitting a flock of geese, disabled both engines and they requested to return to LGA but ATC told them to go to TEB...they rejected that and told them they can't make it and had to land on the water and ditch. Amazing the pilot set it down easy on the water and didn't spin out the plane or let the nose go underwater during water landing.

Captain has 29 years of flying experience, aircraft was built in 1999.

To see what the aircraft did after takeoff, go to:
http://www4.passur.com/lga.html
and enter 15:26 and press play, you will see a plane depart to the north from LGA and make a turn to the left over to the hudson river...note the altitude as it turns and descends.

Kudos to the crew for getting it down safetly.
+1....here, here!! That flight crew deserves a few D1 passes and crew schedule should be taking them off their next trip so they can get some RR (and obviously take them off they current sequence).

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #74
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Are you really this ignorant as to make a statement such as this? You think the policy of, "hey if we have to crash a few to get it right" is teh policy you want guiding the planes you fly/travel in, then good luck buddy and I hope you never run a major manufacturer of any mode of transportation.

Cheers,
e46e92
Please do not use any negative wording towards me as I have not done that to you. To answer your comment, no I do not think that is a policy which should be enforced. However, whenever something is invented for the first time it is TESTED. Why is it tested? It's because everything on paper and in theory does not work as it should in real life. Knowing that, testing is performed after all KNOWN aspects are good to go. Somethings will change and emerge in the real life tests that cause minimal damage and fatalities that end up constituting corrective actions that make the particular invention a safe and reliable one.

That being said, you saying airbus is sub par because of what happened during that test is in itself, sub par.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #75
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
while I agree with you, what happened to the fan containment ring? it was supposed to contain the fan blades should it seperate from the hub.
Great point, but why take the chance? Never should have even been in that situation. You have to design the plan for the worst case scenario, and placing the life of a hydraulic in the hands of a containment ring just doesn't make sense.

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #76
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the problem was when the engine/plyon tore off that wing, it leaked out hyd fluid and that allowed the slats to retract. When the slats retracted, the stall speed became higher on that wing and loss of lift occured as a result.
The fix was to stop using forklifts to install the whole engine/plyon assembly to save time. The acutal problem happened about 10 flights ago when AA mechanics removed the engine (it was approved by the FAA for this prodecure but McD told AA it's not recommended and you're on your own with that one) they installed the new engine/plyon and installed the front mounting bolt and left to lunch.
During lunch time, the seals in the forklift actuator leaked very slowly and the engine with only the front bolt installed, pulled on the wing (weight) and pushed up the aft mount into the area where the mount on the wing (for the engine) buckled.
Mechanics came back to work and did not notice the problem, they just readjusted the forklift to make the aft mount bolt holes line up and installed the bolt where the damage has been done already and gone unnoticed.

AA had to go to criminal court over their maintenance pratices on DC-10's and the chief mechanic who leaded the engine change operation on that DC-10 was due to show up to court (between AA and McD) to testify the prodecure that was used to install the engine. Just days before, he killed himself by closing the garage door and run his car and passed out due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

A internal report was made by AA (forgot the name) and that was put on desk of the CEO of AA at that time and it had shocking answers and results in it. He ordered it destoryed.
Some time later a copy of the report appeared and he was blackmailed.

Shortly after, AA settled without question.

The sad fact is that AA had the DC-10 fully insured and they made a profit off this crash...
AA got a check for full replacement of the DC-10.

Investigators ran the #'s countless times in a queens warehouse where the files of that DC-10 was stored (insurance papers, maintenance records, etc) and could not believe it.
Yeah, but who on earth designs a system that doesn't lock upon loss of hydraulic pressure? Come on, is shitty workmanship and design.....

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #77
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I
The GE90-115B was born.
and it could do 115k thrust unrated on the test stand...more than enough for the power requirements for the 777 with room to spare/improve over the future.

After meetings, reviews, etc, at the board meeting, GE won the exclusive rights to the 777-300ER and in part, they funded the R&D of the 777-300ER.

P&W was locked out due to the history of the PW4000 and they had no chance in hell.
Here is another face, the default for the 777-200 is actually 90k, and the engines are bale to be "tuned" up via a software change to the 115k, kinda like our 335is

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #78
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a 767

It was EgyptAir and it was hijacked.
Thank you.....nice when people use facts.

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #79
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please do not use any negative wording towards me as I have not done that to you. To answer your comment, no I do not think that is a policy which should be enforced. However, whenever something is invented for the first time it is TESTED. Why is it tested? It's because everything on paper and in theory does not work as it should in real life. Knowing that, testing is performed after all KNOWN aspects are good to go. Somethings will change and emerge in the real life tests that cause minimal damage and fatalities that end up constituting corrective actions that make the particular invention a safe and reliable one.

That being said, you saying airbus is sub par because of what happened during that test is in itself, sub par.
Fair enough, I apologize for the negativity.

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #80
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.....nice when people use facts.

Cheers,
e46e92
That's a 767

The one that crashed in the water? Wasn't that an Ethiopian 767?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #81
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough, I apologize for the negativity.

Cheers,
e46e92
No worries man We're all aviation enthusiasts here
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #82
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As for this Airbus vs. Boeing crap...let me tell you this:

Airbus = It takes you 3 hours to troubleshoot down to a faulty sensor but 3 mins to change it.

Boeing = It takes you 3 mins to troubleshoot down to a faulty mechanical part but 3 hours to change it.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #83
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shit must be sweet. I have yet to start flying the big boys, Regionals for now. Only 22. But let me tell you, when I'm in the big boys I'd want a knowledgeable mech like you. Unlike the BA mech on the 717 that replaced the windshield screws by 'eyeing' them to make sure they're the same size lmao poor bastard captain got sucked out and froze his ass while the f/o had to land. lol Remember that?
What regional do you fly for? You military too? If you are military I would say keep your wings there too, even if its just the Guard in an A10. Yeah, you will get thrown into combat, but if the airline you work for goes under or decides in bankruptcy to burn your retirement/pension fund you at least got the ability to keep flying, get paid and have awesome health care for the rest of your life.

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #84
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
i don't think unfamiliarity has anything to do with it. the captain is an accomplished pilot. i just think that with all the quick decision making that occurs in an emergency, he deemed a water landing was the safest idea for not only those on the aircraft, but those on the ground.
My local news just said that the pilot was an Air Force Academy graduate, an Air Force fighter pilot, and lived in Danville (SF Bay Area).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #85
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
BMW = It takes you 3 mins to troubleshoot down to a faulty sensor but 3 hours to change it.
edited for comic relief.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #86
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What regional do you fly for? You military too? If you are military I would say keep your wings there two, even if its just the Guard in an A10. Yeah, you will get thrown into combat, but if the airline you work for goes under or decides in bankruptcy to burn your retirement/pension fund you at least got the ability to keep flying, get paid and have awesome health care for the rest of your life.

Cheers,
e46e92
Tell me about it. Not military though, they already furloughed a shit load as EVERYONE else did lmao. So far so good though they started calling ppl back so like everyone else, we hang on and hope.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #87
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's a 767

Ahh there we go.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #88
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tell me about it. Not military though, they already furloughed a shit load as EVERYONE else did lmao. So far so good though they started calling ppl back so like everyone else, we hang on and hope.
My father went through a furlough period of 3 years back when he was young, went and started a new career, then got that call, and took it because as my mother said "rather he do what he loves and have uncertainty then have him give that up. I couldn't let him stop flying so." It wound up working out, and retired with a good package but after 911 the fun was gone. Kinda of sad actually. Got a lot of fond memories as a kid of my father flying, going on trips with, etc. He always told me whether I fly or not, the only thing that mattered is that I loved what I did, and the rest would take care of itself.

Tough, tough industry, but you get paid to do what you love, and the thought of one day have 180k+ of trhust at your fingertips should keep you persevering

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0